Zach Bogosian

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I've always liked bogo, but I agree this year he seems way off. He seems to get really down on himself over any kind of screw up. You often see it go like this: commits human error, stick slams into ice, runs all over the place trying to undo the damage done, new damage done. I can't remember if it was the first or second game of the year but he had that huge giveaway right behind the net and it cost us the game. He played like garbage for 3 or 4 games after that.

You wanna know what's wrong with him? I'd say Noel is what's wrong with him and 90% of the other problems this team has. I find myself really reaching for reasons that Noel has anything to do with Pavelec starting 60 games a season. Because coaches don't pick the starting goalie. Right?:sarcasm:

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I've always liked bogo, but I agree this year he seems way off. He seems to get really down on himself over any kind of screw up. You often see it go like this: commits human error, stick slams into ice, runs all over the place trying to undo the damage done, new damage done. I can't remember if it was the first or second game of the year but he had that huge giveaway right behind the net and it cost us the game. He played like garbage for 3 or 4 games after that.

You wanna know what's wrong with him? I'd say Noel is what's wrong with him and 90% of the other problems this team has. I find myself really reaching for reasons that Noel has anything to do with Pavelec starting 60 games a season. Because coaches don't pick the starting goalie. Right?:sarcasm:

Oops, looks like I got my way. Funny, I've been refreshing tsn.ca for the last 12 hours or so thinking today might be the day.

jetkarma*

Regression.

Can that be reverse? We'll see , it sure doesn't look positive. Once viewed as a young , progressing , multi skilled player to one that is a negative on the ice and has no strong aura around him.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The advance stats may not agree with me, but IMO, when Bogosian is playing with confidence, he's a straight up force. People don't want to skate towards him, because they will be crushed. He can take the puck behind the net and skate it up and lead a rush. He's mean.

Right now, he's playing without confidence, like he did in Atlanta. I don't know if it's because of the injuries, the loss of a very steady partner in Hainsey, or whatever, I just don't see the confidence that we saw a couple of years ago.

Vapour Trails

Oct 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I was at the game yesterday and when I returned home I re-watched the 2nd period debacle closely to see what happened.

I blame the first and third goals squarely on Bogo. In both cases he was out of position.

On first goal against there is a faceoff in offensive zone and the puck goes into the far corner. Bogo goes right after it and is the deepest player in the opposing zone for the Jets. The TB player reaches the puck first and rims it around to the blueline, instantly creating a 2 on 2 with Scheif having to play the role of defensemen as Bogo is way behind the play. We know how that ends.

Third goal, Bogo's responsibility is the man in front of the net, but he leaves the front of the net trying to get the puck in the corner. Quick pass to the unguarded TB player in front and we have goal #3 against.

These are hockey 101 failures. Most 12 year old defensemen have a better grasp of their responsibilities on the ice.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Hainsey leaving happened. Bogo is still a young defenceman who is going to make mistakes. Last year he had an intelligent, responsible D-man to cover for him, and somehow took all the heat on the pairing as well. Now he's carrying the pairings, and that is a hard thing to do. Bogo is going to take time; but I think he'll be fine. But hey Chevy, why not pick up a solid second pairing LD for him to play with?

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Hainsey leaving happened. Bogo is still a young defenceman who is going to make mistakes. Last year he had an intelligent, responsible D-man to cover for him, and somehow took all the heat on the pairing as well. Now he's carrying the pairings, and that is a hard thing to do. Bogo is going to take time; but I think he'll be fine. But hey Chevy, why not pick up a solid second pairing LD for him to play with?

I'm sure he's looking :laugh:. Easier said than done.
Though we really missed out on Smid.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I was at the game yesterday and when I returned home I re-watched the 2nd period debacle closely to see what happened.

I blame the first and third goals squarely on Bogo. In both cases he was out of position.

On first goal against there is a faceoff in offensive zone and the puck goes into the far corner. Bogo goes right after it and is the deepest player in the opposing zone for the Jets. The TB player reaches the puck first and rims it around to the blueline, instantly creating a 2 on 2 with Scheif having to play the role of defensemen as Bogo is way behind the play. We know how that ends.

Third goal, Bogo's responsibility is the man in front of the net, but he leaves the front of the net trying to get the puck in the corner. Quick pass to the unguarded TB player in front and we have goal #3 against.

These are hockey 101 failures. Most 12 year old defensemen have a better grasp of their responsibilities on the ice.

The third goal - mix between Bogo and Little. Someone needed to take the most dangerous guy on the ice, the guy alone in front of the net (folino). Likely Bogo, but Little was late to give support to Toby, so that's where Bogo went. Three guys watching the puck carrier, no one taking a man in front. Basic.

First goal - I blame the stupid face-off alignment of overloading guys along the wall. Jets never move the puck to the wall so it's an odd alignment. Puck eventually rims around, and who's the closet jet - Bogo - as he's lined up as the RWer. So it just leads to missed assignments, and miscommunication, from the start. Bogo would have been better playing off, but on pp, guys will want to be aggressive.

I'm looking forward to a better positioned team in the coming weeks under new coach, Maurice.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Remember back in the first season of Jets 2.0 some guys in here were comparing Bogo to Doughty, I thought you were nuts but then Bogo kept playing better and better and by the end of the first season even Ol' Sip had no doubt Bogo would be a US Olympian.....Fast forward to 2014, Bogo could be an Olympian but it's never going to be in hockey as for the comparison to Doughty, there is none except that they both play D, a trade for Doughty would now be Bogo plus Kane plus a pick.

Not sure Bogo even has the will to be a top 4 D man now. Long term he will be an NHL bottom pairing guy.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Remember back in the first season of Jets 2.0 some guys in here were comparing Bogo to Doughty, I thought you were nuts but then Bogo kept playing better and better and by the end of the first season even Ol' Sip had no doubt Bogo would be a US Olympian.....Fast forward to 2014, Bogo could be an Olympian but it's never going to be in hockey as for the comparison to Doughty, there is none except that they both play D, a trade for Doughty would now be Bogo plus Kane plus a pick.

Not sure Bogo even has the will to be a top 4 D man now. Long term he will be an NHL bottom pairing guy.

Wow, bold statement Sip.
Obviously we both hope you're wrong, I think secretly this is just you giving him a Wheeler-esque kick in the ass.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Well, if he's a bottom pairing guy, he's a heck of an expensive one. Add that contract to the Pavelec one in the "oopsie" column for fearless Chevy.

#insomnia #ThanksJoeMack

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Is that the one where Enstrom got completely undressed and ended up spinning around. Bogo was pressuring the puck carrier. On a good team the center should have picked up the guy in front. Bogo had a rough game but so did his d partner and the rest of the team. IMO he was just middle of the pack bad in that game. I was at that gong show, and most of the goals were a result of complete team breakdowns and don't rest just on one player.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
Bogo in the last couple of years has been a disaster for him injury wise. Tough for a kid whose game was to play a physical game. His confidence will return - I hope. I think he is fighting himself more than anything and you add a new d-partner every other game and voila-regress.
BTW- I don't think he has been the same beast since he got his banana rocked by the flying elbow of Okposo

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'm sure he's looking :laugh:. Easier said than done.
Though we really missed out on Smid.

No kidding. And Bobby Ryan and Tyler Seguin, but of course there are 28 other gms who would have made those deals had they been able to.

As for Bogo, I look at it as the opposite problem that Buff has. Buff is too casual and carefree, Bogo is uptight and lacking confidence. Clearly Bogo has all the tools, I just hope that PM can work with him to relax and just play a more confident game.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Is that the one where Enstrom got completely undressed and ended up spinning around. Bogo was pressuring the puck carrier. On a good team the center should have picked up the guy in front. Bogo had a rough game but so did his d partner and the rest of the team. IMO he was just middle of the pack bad in that game. I was at that gong show, and most of the goals were a result of complete team breakdowns and don't rest just on one player.

Yeah that's the one....Toby lost his man behind the net so I don't think it was the right play for Bogo to run after the guy behind the net where he is not a scoring threat leaving a man in front of the net all alone.

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
Bogo will be fine. First they tried to play him on the left side which clearly didn't work, 2nd were the injuries which set him back, 3rd the injuries to the rest of the defense has affected who everybody plays with. It's difficult to play consistently well when you are constantly changing defense partners. Not necessarily a Bogo statement but I haven't liked the way they have played much since the first season back. Perry Pearn???

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I've got a feeling that Bogo will not get substantially "better". I just don't see it. He will be an avarage to slightly better than average defenseman in his NHL career. I don't see him taking any big steps forward.

I would like to be proven wrong.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I've got a feeling that Bogo will not get substantially "better". I just don't see it. He will be an avarage to slightly better than average defenseman in his NHL career. I don't see him taking any big steps forward.

I would like to be proven wrong.

As long as we pair him with a competent defender and he puts up 5v5 numbers like he did in 2011-12 and even 12-13 then that version of Bogosian is above average worth his salary and is fine by me.

m66m

Jun 14, 2011
He's having a rough year. He's had some really tough bounces. It's hard to come back from that, tough to turn that around. He might not be good again this year. I expect an off season and some time to sort it out without all the pressure will help.[/QUO

Or he is, as I suspect, just another player with perceived talent.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
As long as we pair him with a competent defender and he puts up 5v5 numbers like he did in 2011-12 and even 12-13 then that version of Bogosian is above average worth his salary and is fine by me.

There is an analytics guy Steven Burtch (writes for PPP) his did some work on expected Corsi vs Actual Corsi - his numbers showed Bogo to be a disaster (one of the worst regular D men in the entire NHL) that was lifted by Ron Hainsey. I don't 100% buy the math, but I thought it was interesting work. I hope Bogo can figure things out and prove him wrong, but he isn't trending in the right direction.

I am really nervous about him and would be 100% for trading him if the return is solid.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
He isn't playing physical at all which should be his bread and butter. Should be simplfying his game and going back to basics. Play solid defensively and physical. Right now he just looks like he shows up for the games, has a skate and goes home.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00