Zach Bogosian

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
There is an analytics guy Steven Burtch (writes for PPP) his did some work on expected Corsi vs Actual Corsi - his numbers showed Bogo to be a disaster (one of the worst regular D men in the entire NHL) that was lifted by Ron Hainsey. I don't 100% buy the math, but I thought it was interesting work. I hope Bogo can figure things out and prove him wrong, but he isn't trending in the right direction.

I am really nervous about him and would be 100% for trading him if the return is solid.

Do you have a link handy? My stomach just dropped. :puppy:

EDIT: Is this it? http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/7/30/4570108/sdi-v2-1-shut-down-index-2012-13-part-2

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There is an analytics guy Steven Burtch (writes for PPP) his did some work on expected Corsi vs Actual Corsi - his numbers showed Bogo to be a disaster (one of the worst regular D men in the entire NHL) that was lifted by Ron Hainsey. I don't 100% buy the math, but I thought it was interesting work. I hope Bogo can figure things out and prove him wrong, but he isn't trending in the right direction.

I am really nervous about him and would be 100% for trading him if the return is solid.

I will have to have a look. I will admit this year has been sobering for me but for now I will keep an open mind and hope a new coach and system can get him rolling forward. We shall see.

Jetty

Russ from St.B
Jun 21, 2011
St.B
I think most people are just coming to terms with the fact he is a 3rd or 4th d-man at best. He had the physical tools at an early age and that is definetely not his issue. It is all mental with Bogosian and for whatever reason he has shown no growth this season and I agree he might even be slipping.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
I will have to have a look. I will admit this year has been sobering for me but for now I will keep an open mind and hope a new coach and system can get him rolling forward. We shall see.

I still have hope that Bogo can become a beast too. He has ALL the tools, which is why I'm able to feel that way. He's never going to get out-muscled, and if he so chooses, he'll never be outworked, he just needs to know how not to be out-positioned...

Which is easier said than done, and we may turn out to be disappointed with him and his contract both in the long term, but... we will see.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
No kidding. And Bobby Ryan and Tyler Seguin, but of course there are 28 other gms who would have made those deals had they been able to.

As for Bogo, I look at it as the opposite problem that Buff has. Buff is too casual and carefree, Bogo is uptight and lacking confidence. Clearly Bogo has all the tools, I just hope that PM can work with him to relax and just play a more confident game.

Are you comparing the Smid deal to the Ryan or Seguin deal?

Smid was essentially given away.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I think Bogosian's struggles are being overstated. He's not playing particularly worse than any of our top 4 defenders except for maybe Toby. Even Enstrom is having some bad games. He was really good in the first period against the Jackets and then no one was good past that so hard to single him out. I though he was one of the only defenders that was able to get the puck out of his own zone against Tampa, and he had a overall decent game then. He's been up and down this year on a bad hockey team. To say he is one of the worst D men in the NHL is ridiculous based on everything I've seen from him this year. He's playing like a first/second pairing tweener right now. Hopefully he steps it up soon, he's capable of playing better.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Count me in the minority I suppose, but I've never seen the "beast" Bogo that others gush over here. I hope he can work things out and become that eventually, but there always seems to be some sort of excuse regarding his play. At best I've seen him be adequate for the 2nd or 3rd pairing, most times he just looks lost and tentative.

On a better team he wouldn't be getting much ice time.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Count me in the minority I suppose, but I've never seen the "beast" Bogo that others gush over here. I hope he can work things out and become that eventually, but there always seems to be some sort of excuse regarding his play. At best I've seen him be adequate for the 2nd or 3rd pairing, most times he just looks lost and tentative.

On a better team he wouldn't be getting much ice time.

Yeah. I have seen him go into a beast mode physically, but never in terms of awareness or shutdown ability.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Hey Jets fans, not sure if this is the right thread to bring this up but I am wondering what you think Bogosian would command in value in a trade.

I have Bogosian in a GM simulation league and need to get rid of salary and am looking to move him for guys on good contracts or most likely draft picks/prospects.

I was thinking of proposing something to Tampa as they have tons of good prospects and guys on good contracts but was wondering what Jets fans think would be fair value for Bogo. Unfortunately it seems like his value is at an all-time low but it seems like he has played much better with Maurice coming in.

I love your team by the way. Trouba is one of my favourite players in the entire league. Total stud.

JCLiponfanboy*

Hey Jets fans, not sure if this is the right thread to bring this up but I am wondering what you think Bogosian would command in value in a trade.

I have Bogosian in a GM simulation league and need to get rid of salary and am looking to move him for guys on good contracts or most likely draft picks/prospects.

I was thinking of proposing something to Tampa as they have tons of good prospects and guys on good contracts but was wondering what Jets fans think would be fair value for Bogo. Unfortunately it seems like his value is at an all-time low but it seems like he has played much better with Maurice coming in.

I love your team by the way. Trouba is one of my favourite players in the entire league. Total stud.

By GM simulation league do you mean NHL 14 or something else? Once I learn what type of league it is I will offer advice.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I still have hope that Bogo can become a beast too. He has ALL the tools, which is why I'm able to feel that way. He's never going to get out-muscled, and if he so chooses, he'll never be outworked, he just needs to know how not to be out-positioned...

Which is easier said than done, and we may turn out to be disappointed with him and his contract both in the long term, but... we will see.

Maybe he's just one of those guys who physically matured quicker than his peers. In junior that gave him a great advantage. Perhaps that's what made him look so good.
Always has to be kept in mind whether a player dominates in junior because of talent or more due to their physical prowess... which others eventually catch up to.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Should have traded him for JVR when the Flyers proposed that trade. He's not terrible but I is he going to be better than what he is now? I dunno

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Most Defence are just breaking into the nhl at his age now.
Bogo does not even enter his peak in the next few years.

When his mental toughness catches up, he will be awesome.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
bogo had back and groin problems this year which always go hand in hand.I will admit that mentally he is a little weak and playing with an injury just adds to that stress.In order for him to play his game he needs to be able to skate himself out of trouble In order to make an easy safe pass.He will never be a high hockey IQ player he will need to adjust his attitude towards the game he will have to add some Willie Mitchell to his game a bit more stick work and cross checking combined with his great skating and his strength will make him a quality player.he was able to excel offensively in juniors because of his size and speed but much more is needed at this level just ask Evander Kane.I think this will be the coaches job to guide to being successful.The game will continue to slow down for him making his decision making better but it will always be an issue we just need to simplify the game for him.Lastly as others have stated he has confidence issues and when things go wrong stuff begins to snowball he says it himself he is his biggest critic and that is probably most of the problem and the sooner he addresses that the sooner he will become a quality nhler.He could learn a lot from Trouba who absolutely oozes confidence on the ice.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
bogo had back and groin problems this year which always go hand in hand.I will admit that mentally he is a little weak and playing with an injury just adds to that stress.In order for him to play his game he needs to be able to skate himself out of trouble In order to make an easy safe pass.He will never be a high hockey IQ player he will need to adjust his attitude towards the game he will have to add some Willie Mitchell to his game a bit more stick work and cross checking combined with his great skating and his strength will make him a quality player.he was able to excel offensively in juniors because of his size and speed but much more is needed at this level just ask Evander Kane.I think this will be the coaches job to guide to being successful.The game will continue to slow down for him making his decision making better but it will always be an issue we just need to simplify the game for him.Lastly as others have stated he has confidence issues and when things go wrong stuff begins to snowball he says it himself he is his biggest critic and that is probably most of the problem and the sooner he addresses that the sooner he will become a quality nhler.He could learn a lot from Trouba who absolutely oozes confidence on the ice.
Very good post. I would add that he could benefit from a customized training regimen focusing on physical flexibility (rather than strength) and a sports psychologist, as he will never learn Trouba's confidence by merely watching him.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think Maurice will have a plan for Bogo. Bogo likely focuses his training on strength, and power, but less on conditioning which may lead to some of the injury problems he has had. I would think that Bogo is in the BIG group of guys that needs work on their conditioning. Same with Troubs.

I think TNSE is excited for the future with fitter guys, who are coached well, and play a up tempo pressure game. Bogosian skating ability will serve him well there.

IMO, TNSE is wanting to see how Bogo and many of the other guys (Buff, Kane) plays after a full year with Mo, before we write them off or trade them.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'll reserve judgement on Bogo until:

1) He has a decent stretch of healthy play.
2) He plays in a stable role with a stable partner.
3) He has a strong communicator as a coach (who actually coaches in the game, too).

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
So yea, Bogo has been B.A.D for a very long time. What has happened? Was he always this bad? Was he only slightly better? Were we blinded by the nice guy "i love the peg" persona? Is he overrated? Is he just having a bad season?

Imo i remember a better, more involved, impassioned, all heart Bogo than this. Where did our guy go? Seems it all started with that "Gift".

Discuss....

He got a GF, money, and gives 0 ****s. He's as worried about selfies and where he's going for dinner as he is in becoming a next level NHL player. I think the same could be said for a lot of our guys, and a lot of guys around the league for that matter. It's that culture problem within our team that Chevy and Maurice have hinted at.

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
I think Maurice will have a plan for Bogo. Bogo likely focuses his training on strength, and power, but less on conditioning which may lead to some of the injury problems he has had. I would think that Bogo is in the BIG group of guys that needs work on their conditioning. Same with Troubs.

I think TNSE is excited for the future with fitter guys, who are coached well, and play a up tempo pressure game. Bogosian skating ability will serve him well there.

IMO, TNSE is wanting to see how Bogo and many of the other guys (Buff, Kane) plays after a full year with Mo, before we write them off or trade them.

I do believe the jets want a team that can play that up tempo pressure game and
bogo has the tools.Lets see what this group can do with a year under Mo and his system.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
0 worries about Bogo (besides his health).

Still don't understand how so many people here turned on him so quickly this year.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
0 worries about Bogo (besides his health).

Still don't understand how so many people here turned on him so quickly this year.

Agree 100%, Huff.

He's the least of my worries. I don't think he played all that bad. One terrible gaff to Perry. He's a very important piece of the puzzle IMO. Even as a 2nd pairing RH dman. I think Troubs will be that top pairing guy, and Bogo steps in nicely in the 2nd pairing.

Just would like him to play a full season, or 70+ games, and would love to see the Jets get a LH dman to pair with him. Maybe that's Morrissey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad