Your team's underrated prospect

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
He isn't really a "prospect" anymore but Mattias Ekholm is going places. He has improved exponentially, if it wasn't for Josi, Jones, and Ellis this guy would be the talk of the Preds minus Weber. He doess everything right and consistently, not the most offensive player but he has a lot of skills. My favorite player behind Craig Smith, so glad we got him. He will be a top 4 defensemen for a long time.

Another player worth mentioning is Jimmy Vesey. He's done really well at Harvard, and really came into his own at the World Juniors tournament for the US, very excited for him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
...assuming this is "underrated" on the HF Boards.

For the Jets:

Andrew Copp
Connor Hellebuyck

Generally, I find that NCAA players don't get the same attention on HFB as CHL and even Euro prospects.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Colton Parayko - STL BLUES - Alaska NCAA
Mike Reilly - CBJ - Minn. NCAA

really think by about the half way point of the year next season, there will be a ton of hype

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
:sabres

1) G Linus Ullmark. He's had 2 fantastic seasons since being drafted in 2012, being named goalie of the year in both seasons (in Sweden's J-20 in 12-13 and in the SHL this past season). The last goalie to win that honor at that young an age was Henrik Lundqvist, yet few people outside of Buffalo's fanbase seem to even be aware of him.
2) RW Nicholas Baptiste. Led Sudbury in scoring and was 12th in the OHL, posting 45 goals and 89 points, outscoring and outpacing quite a few more "hyped" prospects. He was only a handful of points behind Max Domi, who was a top 15 pick, while Baptiste was a 3rd rounder in the same draft. Granted Baptiste also played a couple more games than Domi, but I don't think he gets enough recognition.
3) NCAA prospects. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. Compher, Fasching and McCabe all had very good seasons, with Compher being named the Big Ten Freshman of the Year. McCabe was named to the league's 1st All-Star team, Compher to its 2nd, and Fasching earning an honorable mention. Both Compher and Fasching were also named to the all-freshman team (Compher was the only unanimous decision among voters). Additionally, McCabe was named a 1st team All-American. Compher was t-12th in Big Ten scoring, Fasching t-14th (both as freshmen), and McCabe was t-20th and the 2nd highest scoring defender in the Big Ten.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Shayne Gostisbehere. He has a chance to be special. Yet he doesn't get the usual hype because he was an unknown from Florida, played at non traditional college program, and wasn't a 1st round pick.

He was extremely underrated. Now I think he rated fairly. He has top pairing upside, and I think most people can see that.

The most underrated prospects on the Flyers would be either Mark Alt, or Michael Parks. Or Morin. I don't think people realize how good the guy actually is. People will be amazed how good he is next year once he gains some PP time with Rimouski.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The most underrated prospects on the Flyers would be either Mark Alt, or Michael Parks. Or Morin. I don't think people realize how good the guy actually is. People will be amazed how good he is next year once he gains some PP time with Rimouski.

Alt's a good pick. I don't think I would list Parks though because good chance he doesn't even get signed by the Flyers. I wouldn't say Morin either, he gets some recognition for being a 1st rounder the feelings are kind of mixed though.

To add to your Mark Alt pick I would probably say Taylor Leier & Valeri Vasiliev.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Alt's a good pick. I don't think I would list Parks though because good chance he doesn't even get signed by the Flyers. I wouldn't say Morin either, he gets some recognition for being a 1st rounder the feelings are kind of mixed though.

To add to your Mark Alt pick I would probably say Taylor Leier & Valeri Vasiliev.

I think Leier is rated fairly well. He is at best a good bottom 6 forward. And I know nothing about Vasiliev.

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
Apprantly Sven baertschi, the number of people thinking him as a bust is boarderling Pejorative Slured

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
End of Year Look: Current Most Underrated Prospects

Make your list of the currently most underrated prospects.

Feel free to include drafted and undrafted players.

Johnsb

May 20, 2010
2013-14 OHL Coaches Poll Winners. (Voted by OHL coaches)

Most Underrated Players

Eastern Conference:
1. Brendan Bell, Ottawa 67’s (22)
2. Henri Ikonen, Kingston Frontenacs (15) – finished third in voting in 2012-13
3. Ben Thomson, North Bay Battalion (11)

Western Conference:
1. Brady Vail, Windsor Spitfires (24)
2. Holden Cook, Owen Sound Attack (13)
3. Dylan Sadowy, Saginaw Spirit tied Patrick Watling, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
On the Canucks, I'd say Ben Hutton is our most underrated prospect. Rated as our 7th best D-Man on Hockeys Future depth chart for the Canucks. (Which I disagree with completely)

2012 5th rounder. 6'3, 200 lbs 20 y.o defender playing for Maine in the NCAA. He put together a remarkable season getting 29 points in 35 games leading all defencemen with 15 goals. I caught a couple of his games and I think he's got a career ahead of him.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Miikka Salomäki, Preds 2nd rounder from 2011. He gets barely mentioned here.

50 points 20+30 in 75 AHL games this year as 20 year old, Also played on World Championship with Finland.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
Absolutely agree on the idea that Ikonen is underrated! Seen him play for a few years here in Kingston and he's the kind of player that you win with. Fantastic along the boards, using the cycle effectively to sustain offensive pressure. Strong playmaking skills and a quality finisher around the net. His offensive upside may not be high a the NHL level but he's the type of player that makes his line better by playing a 200 foot game while chipping in offensively. Tampa has a great prospect!

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
Lots of interesting replies to this thread. A lot of truly under the radar guys to check out.

The guy that I saw that really jumped off the screen to me when I saw him play was Ottawa Senators prospect (5th round I believe in 2012) Robbie Baillargeon. 27 points in 35 games as a freshman for the BU Terriers, he started out the year on the 3rd line but was promptly promoted and spent the remainder of the year anchoring the top line and was easily the best player on the team.

He doesn't have a big frame but he's tall enough at 6"0 to survive in the NHL and his game reminds me a lot of Jaden Schwartz, and the kid just drips hockey IQ. Should be fun to watch him develop and play on a line with Eichel next year at Agganis, I would expect his production to go parabolic.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Has to be Anhony Duclair. 3rd in MVP voting for the Q and doesn't even make the top 50.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad