Your team's underrated prospect

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Who is your teams most under rated prospect? Why?S

Connor Brown, because most on here have no idea who he is, he was drafted in the 6th round by the Leafs and all he's done since playing junior is light the lamp. He will be well known in a few years.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Kevin Gravel. No one and I mean NO ONE outside of the Kings board ever talks about him. He's far and away our best defensive prospect. He won't ever put up points in the NHL but I look at him as a guy who will be Drew Doughty or Slava Voynov's D partner for a decade or so. Seriously. The guy has all the tools and smarts to be a great shutdown defender for the Kings. Think Rob Scuderi actually. Very strong defensively, tall but not hugely physical (but can hit), really strong stick work, good shot blocker and PKer. Just remember the name.

Kings actually have a lot of very underrated prospects. A lot of guys that don't get the hype of Toffoli, Pearson, or Vey but can have some bring NHL futures. Gravel just happens to be the best of the bunch.

Horvath Broncos

Aug 21, 2013
Connor Brown, because most on here have no idea who he is, he was drafted in the 6th round by the Leafs and all he's done since playing junior is light the lamp. He will be well known in a few years.

he is playing in the same line as McDavid, yes? but he seems to be fairly impressive in.juniors

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
hakanpaa and lindbohm for the blues.

i can tell you for Washington Riley Barber, for SJ Sean Kuraly, for OTT Ryan Dzingel and anthony Louis for Chicago

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
On the leaf boards, no one misses a statistical wizard like Brown. He's leading the OHL right now at a near 3 PPG average. He's a bit of an unknown outside of our fans. But the most genuinely underrated on our board is Percy, IMO. If it weren't for the glut of depth players and need to move someone out instead of leave a spot to promote, he'd be on the Leafs already.

I thought at times he was one of the best D out there in preseason. Nonis really has an ACE up his sleeve for next year with this kid. He's gonna be good soon. Very intelligent play. He reminds me of a slightly grittier Kaberle.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
tampa has to be henri ikonen is just lighting it up 5th round pick this year he is gonna move up drastically on our boards if continues to shine like has so far. 21 points like 9 games.

for detroit I would say mattias backman very smooth late blooming defensemen super smooth no real weaknesses or nylen janmark. In SEL both playing super well this year. Nylen lighting it up expect both in ahl next year and maybe str8 call ups to detroit after one year in ahl which just doesnt happen for detroit guys!!

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
On the leaf boards, no one misses a statistical wizard like Brown. He's leading the OHL right now at a near 3 PPG average. He's a bit of an unknown outside of our fans. But the most genuinely underrated on our board is Percy, IMO. If it weren't for the glut of depth players and need to move someone out instead of leave a spot to promote, he'd be on the Leafs already.

I thought at times he was one of the best D out there in preseason. Nonis really has an ACE up his sleeve for next year with this kid. He's gonna be good soon. Very intelligent play. He reminds me of a slightly grittier Kaberle.

I'm gonna agree with Percy. Our board salivates over stats. Our board also salivates over flashiness. Always craving the Filatovs, the Kabanovs etc in the drafts and flipping out when they aren't picked. Then they wonder why the Leafs lack in certain aspects during a game.

This is also happening with Gauthier, but he isn't as underrated and that is for another thread.

Percy doesn't have the stats or flash, but he looks very sound defensively and seems to have a high iq. Exactly the type of defenceman we are missing. I would rank him #3 on our prospect list behind Rielly and Gauthier but not far from 2nd at all.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I'm gonna agree with Percy. Our board salivates over stats. Our board also salivates over flashiness. Always craving the Filatovs, the Kabanovs etc in the drafts and flipping out when they aren't picked. Then they wonder why the Leafs lack in certain aspects during a game.

This is also happening with Gauthier, but he isn't as underrated and that is for another thread.

Percy doesn't have the stats or flash, but he looks very sound defensively and seems to have a high iq. Exactly the type of defenceman we are missing. I would rank him #3 on our prospect list behind Rielly and Gauthier but not far from 2nd at all.

As a Sabres fan I am really mad you guys got Percy. I really like the way he thinks the game and he is a very similar prospect to Mark Pysyk.

If we are going by pure prospects then maybe Logan Nelson for the Sabres. No one really ever talks about him but he keeps on Chugging for Victoria and looked good in the Development Camp. Might become a third liner for us in the future.

Pysyk never really gets love from the league but this kid is the real deal and will be a top pairing Dman for the Sabres for a long time. Extremely smooth with his stride and makes all the right decisions. Just a great great player.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Kevin Gravel. No one and I mean NO ONE outside of the Kings board ever talks about him. He's far and away our best defensive prospect. He won't ever put up points in the NHL but I look at him as a guy who will be Drew Doughty or Slava Voynov's D partner for a decade or so. Seriously. The guy has all the tools and smarts to be a great shutdown defender for the Kings. Think Rob Scuderi actually. Very strong defensively, tall but not hugely physical (but can hit), really strong stick work, good shot blocker and PKer. Just remember the name.

Kings actually have a lot of very underrated prospects. A lot of guys that don't get the hype of Toffoli, Pearson, or Vey but can have some bring NHL futures. Gravel just happens to be the best of the bunch.

I came to post this as well. It's criminal how underrated he is. I picture a slightly more physical Rob Scuderi, like there's a hint of Willie Mitchell in him. he'll never drop the gloves much, but he can take you into the boards and clear the crease better than Scuderi. I'd be pretty surprised if his game didn't translate to the pro level very well.

Since cns stole my thunder, I'll add Nick Shore to the list. Should be a Jarrett Stoll clone, maybe not as good in the draw but will post 20-20-40 numbers and be solid at both ends of the ice like Stoll used to do (still is better than the Kings board gives him credit for though). Shore will be a very effective 3rd line forward capable of shutting down the opposition and potting some points as well.

HM: Nic Dowd, Joel Lowry, Michael Mersch, Paul Ladue, Colin Miller, Nikolai Prokhorkin (surprised you didn't go for him actually cns) and Patrick Bartosak.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
As far as goalies go, no one seems to remember who Frederik Andersen is despite his outstanding stats.

But overall? Maybe Andy Welinski.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Wikstrand is one of the most hyped propects for the Sens this year, on the Sens board for sure. Ryan Dzingle for the Sens

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I'm going to say Jeremy Gregoire for the Habs who they picked in the 6th round this past summer. He only had 32pts in 62 games last season.

This season, he just might be the best performing member so far this season of the 2013 class, getting 22 pts in his first 13 games.

Among more mature prospects closer to the NHL, I'm going to say AHLer, Greg Pattyrn. He's been the Bulldogs best d-man and player so far this season, and IMO should compete for a full time job with the big club next September.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
tampa has to be henri ikonen is just lighting it up 5th round pick this year he is gonna move up drastically on our boards if continues to shine like has so far. 21 points like 9 games.

I was very jealous once I found out Tampa drafted Ikonen. Really wished the Sens would have taken him with one of our 4th round picks this year...

Next player to enter the Sens Swedish Hype Machine: Mikael Wikstrand

Wikstrand is one of the most hyped propects for the Sens this year, on the Sens board for sure. Ryan Dzingle for the Sens

I think Derek Grant is the most underrated prospect for the Sens. Big centre with a solid all-around game, I think he'll become a very good third line centre on the team within a year or two.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I came to post this as well. It's criminal how underrated he is. I picture a slightly more physical Rob Scuderi, like there's a hint of Willie Mitchell in him. he'll never drop the gloves much, but he can take you into the boards and clear the crease better than Scuderi. I'd be pretty surprised if his game didn't translate to the pro level very well.

Since cns stole my thunder, I'll add Nick Shore to the list. Should be a Jarrett Stoll clone, maybe not as good in the draw but will post 20-20-40 numbers and be solid at both ends of the ice like Stoll used to do (still is better than the Kings board gives him credit for though). Shore will be a very effective 3rd line forward capable of shutting down the opposition and potting some points as well.

HM: Nic Dowd, Joel Lowry, Michael Mersch, Paul Ladue, Colin Miller, Nikolai Prokhorkin (surprised you didn't go for him actually cns) and Patrick Bartosak.

The fact that I chose to go for Gravel over Prokhorkin should tell you all you need to know about my thoughts on Gravel. I LOVE this kid as a prospect. And Prokhorkin was a 1st round talent for a lot of his draft year until that real late fall, which really has to be partially attributed to the Russian factor/him having a KHL deal that apparently LA didn't know about. Prokhorkin is my 2nd favorite prospect behind Zykov but Gravel is just seriously, SERIOUSLY underrated.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
As always, for the Sens the answer is Mark Stone. All he has done since being drafted is produce - has the resume of a 1st round pick:

245 points in two WHL seasons after being drafted
7 goals, 10 points at the World Juniors (best on team)
41 points in 57GP in his first AHL season (best on team)

All the guy does is produce. Only thing stopping him from being regarded as a top prospect is draft position (which is ridiculous) and his skating ability, which has greatly improved since being drafted, to the point where it can be considered average by pro standards. Look for him to break out huge when a spot opens up for him on the big club.

I think Derek Grant is the most underrated prospect for the Sens. Big centre with a solid all-around game, I think he'll become a very good third line centre on the team within a year or two.

Agreed. He'll develop into a great bottom 6 center that's a beast on the penalty kill.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

You can add me to the list. Been a big fan of Gravel for awhile.

He'll quietly establish himself as an NHL defenseman, and will be a mainstay in the NHL for a long time.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
As always, for the Sens the answer is Mark Stone. All he has done since being drafted is produce - has the resume of a 1st round pick:

245 points in two WHL seasons after being drafted
7 goals, 10 points at the World Juniors (best on team)
41 points in 57GP in his first AHL season (best on team)

All the guy does is produce. Only thing stopping him from being regarded as a top prospect is draft position (which is ridiculous) and his skating ability, which has greatly improved since being drafted, to the point where it can be considered average by pro standards. Look for him to break out huge when a spot opens up for him on the big club.

Agreed. He'll develop into a great bottom 6 center that's a beast on the penalty kill.

Should be interesting once he comes back from injury. I imagine he'll stay in Bingo for a month or two at least once he returns, and if required he'll be one of the first call-ups.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Jon Gilles for the Flames. One of the top goalie propspects but he gets no attention

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Perhaps Greg Chase for the Oilers. 7th round pick, a super pest (the type of guy the oilers have needed for years) and just outside of the top 10 in scoring for the WHL. (10 goals in 12 games)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->