Young Stars tournament

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Any word on McCann or Cassels being cleared to play? Going to really suck if either miss the tournament.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Any word on McCann or Cassels being cleared to play? Going to really suck if either miss the tournament.

Sounds like they'll both play. Just saw this from Botchford:

"Jared McCann was cleared today and both he and Cole Cassels are all set to play in this weekend's young stars tournament"

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Last edited:

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
I'm driving up tomorrow morning with my brother. 4 days, 30 degree heat, and 6 hockey games. Words can't describe how pumped I am for this.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
I have a bad feeling about this tournament.

Jets, Flames, Oilers prospects >>>> Canucks.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Oh I expect us to get slapped around by everyone (have you seen or goaltending and defense?) but I am excited either way to see if Virtanen has progressed, see if McCann and Cassels can build on their successful seasons and finally get a good look at Ben Hutton.

I'm also interested to see McDavid of course and Ehlers. Oh and 19-year-old Sam Bennett.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
In terms of invites...

(I think this how it breaks down)

Canucks
4 forwards, 2 goalies

Jets
1 forward, 3 dmen

Flames
5 forwards, 3 dmen, 1 goalie

Oilers
8 forwards, 3 dmen, 1 goalie

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

the results of this tournament mean sweet **** all. I doubt many guys are going full out in this kind of tournament unless its guys looking for a contract. This is just a tournament for hockey nerds to overreact positively or negatively over some beer league calibre hockey. The quality of these games will be terrible and you really can't form much of an opinion based on it. Who was the best player for the canucks last year? Curtis Valk?? an overager who couldn't even crack the AHL.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Oh I expect us to get slapped around by everyone (have you seen or goaltending and defense?) but I am excited either way to see if Virtanen has progressed, see if McCann and Cassels can build on their successful seasons and finally get a good look at Ben Hutton.

I'm also interested to see McDavid of course and Ehlers. Oh and 19-year-old Sam Bennett.

Yeah..
There's always 2 or 3 prospects that standout with performance and the plays they make regardless of the score- looking forward to seeing who they are this yr..

I'm interested in the seeing the same players as PM for obvious reasons...
I finally get to see Virtanen and Ehlers on the same ice for my first opportunity for a direct comparison (and i'm probably not alone on that front).

Little doubt Jake is 100% aware of the polarization the fanbase over him vs Ehlers/Nylander... Can't wait to see his first rip at him in Canuck colors.

Can't imagine how jacked he must be... 1st Canuck exhibition gm.. and its vs Ehlers' team of all teams. Almost fitting.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I think the teams are actually fairly evenly balanced. The only place we're really weak is in net which could hurt. In the big scheme of things I'm more interested in seeing how our forwards have developed than the actual results. It's always more fun to win though. :)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
So what are fights we are likely to see... Every yr there are a few solid fights...

Who are the potential knuckle chuckers this weekend?

Canucks
Stewart, Martin, Cederholm?

Flames
Proulx may be a safe bet : a 6'5 4pt, 77 PIM invite, Soustal, 6'3 0.28PPG 50 PIM invite.

Oilers and Jets.. i don't know...

And can someone explain to me how Dane Fox accrued 110 PIMs last season?

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
So what are fights we are likely to see... Every yr there are a few solid fights...

Canucks

Flames
Proulx may be a safe bet : a 6'5 4pt, 77 PIM invite, Soustal, 6'3 0.28PPG 50 PIM invite.

Cassels vs McDavid
Virtanen vs Ehlers

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Canucks

Flames

I'm predicting at least one Virtanen hit that results in a fight. Every time I watch him he seems to rock somebody.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad