Young Stars tournament

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
Hit some great golf courses like Fairview, Penticton, Nkmip, Twin Lakes and Osoyoos as they have some decent afternoon rates....tour the Naramata wineries...hit the lakeside pub the Barking Parrot....rent a mountain bike and go,on the KVR trail...rent a tube and go down the channel if weather is decent...enjoy a meat and cheese board and a cold brew at the new Cannery Brewery...rent a kayak and cruise the lake...

You, sir, spend a weekend they way I would. :handclap:

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
I'm surprised to see Abols in the roster, looking forward to see game against Oilers and another Latvian Bukarts. Hellyea!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Abols is an interesting story....'96 birth date, but has actually played 14 games in the KHL as a teenager and had five points and was a ppg guy in the top Russian Junior League.....decent size at 6'3" and scored lots of points for Latvia in U-20 and U-18 tournaments....still junior eligible and will play for the Winterhawks as a 19-year old....another Kenins in the making?

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Just doing some reading in an article was reading regaurding this rosters.

Some of these players are already playing pre-season games with there junior teams.

Brisebois has 3 assists so far playing in one pre-season game.

Neill has 2 goals 4 assists in 3 games so far. Some talk he could take more of an offensive role this season and looks to be quarterbacking the powerplay

Rodigo Abols played a few games in KHL last year, But was drafted by Portland in Import draft and is playing there this season.

Zukenov was drafted by Chicoutimi as we have all heard before, So far in 5 games he has 3 goals and 3 assists.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I would love to see the following lines.

Scoring 1. Baertschi McCann Virtanen
Scoring 2. Shinkaruk Zhukenov Jensen(?)
Checking Blomstrad Cassels Gaunce
4th line: not sure..

Baertschi should be miles ahead of most players in this tournament. Lets see if McCann can keep up. Virtanen gets the 1RW spot...his time to shine

second line is interesting.. not sure who can play RW...i think Jensen wont even show up but not sure who else could be a fit there

3rd line has me most excited. Cassels and Gaunce could be playing together for a long time if both pan out.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I would love to see the following lines.

Scoring 1. Baertschi McCann Virtanen
Scoring 2. Shinkaruk Zhukenov Jensen(?)
Checking Blomstrad Cassels Gaunce
4th line: not sure..

Baertschi should be miles ahead of most players in this tournament. Lets see if McCann can keep up. Virtanen gets the 1RW spot...his time to shine

second line is interesting.. not sure who can play RW...i think Jensen wont even show up but not sure who else could be a fit there

3rd line has me most excited. Cassels and Gaunce could be playing together for a long time if both pan out.

Baertschi, Jensen, and Blomstrand aren't on the Young Stars roster so none of your lines are even possible. The list of who's going is posted on the middle of page two of this thread.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I want to see Hutton and Subban the most. Followed by Shink and Zhukenov. Would love to see McCann but it is what it is.

HM to Virtanen but we'll likely see him start the year with us anyway, so it's whatever.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Kind of interested in...
I admit I forget which one
But either Olson or Neill
One of them seems to have a wicked slap shot

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Based on the camp roster I'd want too see

1st - Shinkaruk, Mccann, Virtanen
2nd - Fox, Cassels, Rodrigo
3rd - Gaunce, Zhukenov, Labate
4th - Zalewski, Pettit, Stewart
Gardiner, Martin

1st - Hutton, Subban
2nd - Brisebois, McEneny
3rd - Cederholm, Neill
Olsen, Sautner

Starter - Whistle
Back-up - Witt

Something like that.

Iceberg Slim

May 9, 2010
Vancouver
We can't sign Abols anyways, right?

Pretty sure we can't. Checked the CBA a while back on this (but on mobile currently so can't quote article and section).

But I believe we might have a window for an AHL only signing. The Caps did this a while back IIRC with a similar undrafted player (can't remember who it was). But if memory serves, they kinda "hid" him in their farm system so he'd go undrafted the next year, and then signed him to an ELC once he was eligible.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Pretty sure we can't. Checked the CBA a while back on this (but on mobile currently so can't quote article and section).

But I believe we might have a window for an AHL only signing. The Caps did this a while back IIRC with a similar undrafted player (can't remember who it was). But if memory serves, they kinda "hid" him in their farm system so he'd go undrafted the next year, and then signed him to an ELC once he was eligible.

That was Nathan Walker and they still had to draft him after he played for their farm team for a year.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Oh, you non-goalies. LOL That move is part of the goalie tool chest. Takes a lot of stretching for a lot of years to maintain that tool.

I'll let you in on a little secret. I used to don the pads "back in the day". Just adult pick up and rec league stuff and have been a student of the position for a while to help teach young goalies, goaltending specific drills. You find out pretty quick that youth hockey coaches generally are too busy with the other 14 kids to learn any goalie specific drills.

Just wish I had that kind of flexibility when I played :laugh:

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Hoping Gaunce has a real good tourny. It looks like he has worked hard this off season looks in great shape. Hoping Gaunce and Cassels find some chem would be a good duo for years to come

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad