Post-Game Talk: You wanna know how I got these scars?

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I see a lot of people saying that. I don't know what people are basing that on. He didn't give the puck away for a scoring chance against? Yay.

He did well carrying puck out of zone. Made some good jumpins on the play in the offensive zone. He's got some speed so that was a big plus as well. He was physical... Yeah, that's on top of playing solid defensively.

Some Random Guy

Apr 7, 2014
Wow. Beautifully played game by the Wings. D was all over Bolts' forwards all game. Clinic on how to shut down Bolts' offense. (My Habs can learn something from this game. Read Babcock>>>Therrien.)

Hope Wings can do it again.

Thanks for the kind words. I hope we can too, man. Shutting out the NHL's hottest scoring team two times in three weeks? The last time they were shut out was over 126 days ago or something.

And Abdelkader getting top 6 minutes...

Abdelkader is amazing me. It makes me think that maybe Babcock did know something we obviously don't. Everything is clicking for him at the right time and he seems more than happy to be "the guy".

If Ferraro continues to play the way he does, I really don't mind that scenario at all. I do think Babcock made the right choice in having him in the line-up as oppose to Weiss or Pulks. For this series at least.

Ferraro has really impressed me with his speed and tenacity this call-up. I think he knows he's fighting for a roster spot and refuses to let it go. Last time he was really really subpar/mediocre. Just like with Quincey... I think his beard gives him superpowers. I hope he continues to grow and sticks around. I'm liking.

Smith is quickly becoming a playoff player, a guy who loves this time of year and raises his game to another level, a guy who adores getting to be more phyiscal game after game.

I'm a well-known Smith lover. I love what he brings in the playoffs he plays smarter, takes less penalties, somehow gets away with 86 penalties a game, and just has some crazy intensity and an extra gear this time of year. I think during the season he brain-farts and just "hurr durr rad wungz maik playoffz all da tyme" and then realizes in the playoffs that it's legitimately serious. If he gave this kind of performance even 75% of the regular season... Maybe even 60%... I really believe less people would bag on the guy. I'm perfectly comfortable with dumbass regular season Smith as long as the Wings continue to get playoff Smith.

I think with the doghouse stint he realized he needs to be smarter about things. He's even tight-lipped now and is watching the dumb things he says.

Him and Abby are both major deterrents for the shenanigans that Tampa was throwing at us. Not only that but somehow we had 48 ****ing hits this game. FORTY. EIGHT. Red Wings... 48 hits... I love this, man.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah, I have been really back and forth on Smith, for a while this season I was more or less done with him and was not excited he was playing, but he was awesome today. Did everything well, had that awesome poke check from behind to intercept a pass that probably would have been a breakaway. He just did everything well.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
I think some people are just so biased against Smith that they don't view his play objectively. Happens with a lot of players (Z, Franzen, Weiss, etc).

He was excellent tonight and a big contributor to the win. He will be in the lineup next game no doubt

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Smith was a beast this game, hopefully he learned that silly mistake he had..

Yeah, he was outstanding. For all his **** ups (of which he had none this game), he's meaner than Marchenko. He's the type of guy you want in the playoffs.

He's put in his penance for the bench minor against Montreal, and now Babs should keep playing him...

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yeah, he was outstanding. For all his **** ups (of which he had none this game), he's meaner than Marchenko. He's the type of guy you want in the playoffs.

He's put in his penance for the bench minor against Montreal, and now Babs should keep playing him...

Yeah, I agree with all of this. I was joking with my last sarcastic post. I don't see the harm in giving the guy his due for how he played tonight.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I see a lot of people saying that. I don't know what people are basing that on. He didn't give the puck away for a scoring chance against? Yay.

He broke up a prime scoring chance when the game was 2-0 by busting his ass and getting his stick in the passing lane.

He was physical having landed at least 5 hits, no giveaways and a single takeover.

Not sure what else you expect of him? does he have to score a goal to get credit for a good game?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
So game 4- Mrazek gets pulled. Game 5- we win. Game 6- Mrazek gets pulled. Game 7- we win. Recipe for success?

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
He broke up a prime scoring chance when the game was 2-0 by busting his ass and getting his stick in the passing lane.

He was physical having landed at least 5 hits, no giveaways and a single takeover.

Not sure what else you expect of him? does he have to score a goal to get credit for a good game?

That's exactly what I expect from him and every Wings defender. Every game.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
Overall a way better performance than we've seen lately. Lots of hitting which seemed to keep the bolts at bay and hard for them to generate some offense. Mrazek looked solid on the attempts that he had to face. The break out looked soo much more fluid overall (still f'ing up at the blue line too much for my liking) and the passing was looking a ton better. If they play like this and cut down on the penalties next game I see good things happening. Glad they got the W tonight!

Some Random Guy

Apr 7, 2014
I think some people are just so biased against Smith that they don't view his play objectively. Happens with a lot of players (Z, Franzen, Weiss, etc).

He was excellent tonight and a big contributor to the win. He will be in the lineup next game no doubt

Z on the other hand... He did seem slow and unengaged tonight. There were at least five times were I thought to myself... "Why didn't Z try harder for that?".

I'm not mad. Just worried and sad. Is his back acting up or has age taken its toll on him?

I love the animal he becomes in the playoffs. How he got away with so many penalties tonight is beyond me but I loved all of them.

Well, Page 5 is dedicated to Brendan Smith which no one could've predicted after the Montreal fiasco.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Smith was a beast this game, hopefully he learned that silly mistake he had..

I only watched 2 periods bu I agree. Tampa is a soft team and last game they pushed the wings around. The only Red Wing who willingly goes out there and tries to dish it back and plays mean is Smith. You need him in the playoffs.

He absolutely crushed someone infront of the wings bench and the guy looked dazed. It reminded me of the Kronwall on Selanne hit.

Abdelkader helped with this as well. A big tough body on the top line deterring some Tampa players and a mean dman dishing out punishment are needed in the playoffs and they really gave the wings a different look tonight from the 2 periods I saw

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
*sigh*

It's a testament to how low the bar is for Smith when this is a "great" game.

He had a great game by anyone's standards. Just didn't hit the score sheet. Had some great defensive plays and was physical.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Andersson, Mrazek, Smith ...

The Weiss apologists only have to re-watch Andy killing penalties tonight to realize how ******** they are.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
That's exactly what I expect from him and every Wings defender. Every game.

Yet rarely do any Wings defenders have games like that, at least the last 7 weeks or so. What did Smith have to do in order to get credit for a good game? He did everything well except score.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Look, I'm not saying Smith had a bad game. He had a decent game, sure. I'm just saying guys like Quincey, DeKeyser, and even Ericsson are showing up doing all those things already. No one seems to be talking about them, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad