Movies: X-Men:Dark Phoenix-Feb 2019 release

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Outside of Days of Future Past these X-Men movies have always been average at best (not talking about the solo movies like Logan, that was great).

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I think what he means is Magneto's origins are growing up and learning his powers in Nazi concentration camps. So much of the 'mutant' lore is grounded in past events that it's not really compatible with the current MCU on account how the hell did Shield and all these hero's miss all these super powered mutants have been running around for decades.

If it were the comic books they could just pull the multi-verse thing, and the MCU may go for something like that, but that's getting into the sillier side of comics and is harder to pull off for the broader movie-going audience.

I'm not really familiar with the comics, but, it does seem like the Xmen area far too tied with history to be effectively dropped onto the MCU.

I'd like to think that Disney is smart enough to use restraint,and to not rush the integration of the properties unless the idea is solid, but, there's probably so much corporate pressure to monetize these assets for Disney.

I wonder if Marvel has plans to do a full reboot. You could start everything from scratch, but, rather that build the Avengers as your starting point, work with these different characters.

I worry when I hear about multi verse discussions. It feels like that could be where it gets a little silly. But, Marvel's has made silly work for them, so best to wait and see.

That said, if these movies were a little stronger, I think Marvel could have been convinced to keep the Xmen franchise operating as a separate entity. It keeps their main MCU from getting cluttered, and gets them another franchise flick or two on the calendar each year, even fi its not as big as a MCU movie. But, based on reactions, it seems everyone is ready to turn the page on this iteration.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
If this pushes us towards an X-Men vs Avengers movie, I’ll all for it. That just sounds like something with loads of potential if done right.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am amused by how much the actors are doing the hard sell for this movie and suggesting the rewrites "were caused by another supper hero movie stole their idea. The problem they have of course is they are suggesting the avengers movie stole their idea and as most of us know--the avenger movies are usually pretty thought out and the plots and screen plays are built around the twist.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I am amused by how much the actors are doing the hard sell for this movie and suggesting the rewrites "were caused by another supper hero movie stole their idea. The problem they have of course is they are suggesting the avengers movie stole their idea and as most of us know--the avenger movies are usually pretty thought out and the plots and screen plays are built around the twist.

I was under the impression they were referring to Captain Marvel.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Dark Phoenix (2019)

Yikes. Definitely not paying to see this. Many reviews seem to be making the poiint about this being a missed opportunity and being way too similar to The Last Stand, and this being Simon Kinberg's directorial debut. Nor sure if it was Grace Randolph who said that the New York street fight scene was one of the worst action scenes in the franchise. Actually that was a Finnish review, now that I think about.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The whole Fox/Disney split really rewrote history. From the late 1970s-2000s, no one cared about The Avengers. X-Men and Wolverine, Gambit once he was introduced, Psylocke, etc. were some of Marvel's most popular characters.

The Dark Phoenix angle is really too epic for one movie. It's a lot of sci fi and has a lot of characters. Shi'ar Empire as well. They tried it once with X3 and didn't do well. I don't get why they couldn't do Mr. Sinister since this is a "1990's movie" and he's a pretty famous villain from that era. Wasting the Essex Estate in Deadpool 2 without using Nathaniel Essex himself aka Mr. Sinister was kind of a waste of a major villain.

X-Men have so many villains to use and they have about 80+ X-Men to have on a team. They always have to use a few that are well known like Storm, Cyclops, Nightcrawler to draw the casuals in (Wolverine too but not for this incarnation) but how about they finally introduce a Longshot or Dazzler and deal with the Mojoverse? X-Tinction Agenda could be epic. Cable was introduced as a comedy character in Deadpool which is....what it is but the whole Stryfe storyline could be good. I'd love to see Forge or Rockglyde, a newer character.

Also, First Class was an awesome movie to whoever said it was average. Matthew Vaughn rocks. And no more origin movies. We know who they are. They know who they are, just show up and kick #@%@%.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Dark Phoenix (2019)

Yikes. Definitely not paying to see this. Many reviews seem to be making the poiint about this being a missed opportunity and being way too similar to The Last Stand, and this being Simon Kinberg's directorial debut. Nor sure if it was Grace Randolph who said that the New York street fight scene was one of the worst action scenes in the franchise. Actually that was a Finnish review, now that I think about.

Interestingly, I've actually heard several people say this movie has some pretty good action scenes overall. I think the issue is more to do with this story being rushed, which is why I always figured this was doomed from the beginning.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Interestingly, I've actually heard several people say this movie has some pretty good action scenes overall. I think the issue is more to do with this story being rushed, which is why I always figured this was doomed from the beginning.

I think Chris Stuckman also said that apart from the train scene at the end, there's nothing memorable about the action scenes. He gave it a C by the way.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
The whole Fox/Disney split really rewrote history. From the late 1970s-2000s, no one cared about The Avengers. X-Men and Wolverine, Gambit once he was introduced, Psylocke, etc. were some of Marvel's most popular characters.

The Dark Phoenix angle is really too epic for one movie. It's a lot of sci fi and has a lot of characters. Shi'ar Empire as well. They tried it once with X3 and didn't do well. I don't get why they couldn't do Mr. Sinister since this is a "1990's movie" and he's a pretty famous villain from that era. Wasting the Essex Estate in Deadpool 2 without using Nathaniel Essex himself aka Mr. Sinister was kind of a waste of a major villain.

X-Men have so many villains to use and they have about 80+ X-Men to have on a team. They always have to use a few that are well known like Storm, Cyclops, Nightcrawler to draw the casuals in (Wolverine too but not for this incarnation) but how about they finally introduce a Longshot or Dazzler and deal with the Mojoverse? X-Tinction Agenda could be epic. Cable was introduced as a comedy character in Deadpool which is....what it is but the whole Stryfe storyline could be good. I'd love to see Forge or Rockglyde, a newer character.

Also, First Class was an awesome movie to whoever said it was average. Matthew Vaughn rocks. And no more origin movies. We know who they are. They know who they are, just show up and kick #@%@%.

As someone who grew up on the animated series, I wouldn't mind a Jubilee or Gambit origin story. My issue with the X-Men movies was always relying on the same people, where you have interesting characters who should have gotten a shot instead.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I think Chris Stuckman also said that apart from the train scene at the end, there's nothing memorable about the action scenes. He gave it a C by the way.

I still plan on seeing this movie over the weekend, so I’d be okay if it landed as a C.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well, hopefully Disney might bring it back in some form.

Nope, it was on hold while the studio merger was being completed. After it was, the movie was officially cancelled. I don't see there being huge enough interest among the fans nor the general public for a Gambit solo movie. He's just not that well known generally.

Last edited:

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Nope, it was on hold while the studio merger was being completed. After it was, the movie was officially cancelled. I don't see there being huge enough interest among the fans nor the general public for a Gambit solo movie. He's just not that well known generally.

Gambit not “not that well known generally”. He is one of the most popular X-men characters outside of Wolverine. Just hasn’t been done any justice in film adaptations.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

You could say this about a lot of current MCU characters that are now beloved, to be fair.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I think pretty much all of them are bigger than Gambit is now.

Well they are bigger now, yes. But, a lot of them weren't that big when they came into the MCU. Hell, the character that started all of it off - Iron Man - wasn't a widely beloved character at that time. Guardians weren't a big entity when the movie was produced.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Well they are bigger now, yes. But, a lot of them weren't that big when they came into the MCU. Hell, the character that started all of it off - Iron Man - wasn't a widely beloved character at that time. Guardians weren't a big entity when the movie was produced.

Correct. When Marvel almost went bankrupt in the 90's, they sold off the movie rights to their most popular characters to stay afloat. That's why Spider-man, Ghostrider and their related characters are owned by Sony; X-men, Fantastic Four, and their related characters are owned by Fox, etc.

When Marvel finally decided to jump into the movie making business themselves, they pretty much only had their B-grade and C-grade characters to work with (I mean, who grew up wanting to be like Hawkeye or Black Widow before Avengers came out?) Fortunately for Marvel, they made a few good movies and it took off from there.

I collected comics in the 90's and more than half the characters they made movies out of in the MCU were from comics in the bargain boxes that they couldn't give away.

Edit: I happened to be listening to the Michael Rosenbaum podcast with James Gunn on the ride home today. He mentioned he collected comics growing up and when Marvel approached him to do Guardians of the Galaxy, he had a less than enthusiastic reaction and passed on the project :laugh:

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Not necessarily loved but known. Way more people "know" Iron Man than Gambit. Gambit was liked in the 90's by X-Men fans but after... Even at the superherohype.com forums people were happy it was cancelled. They'd much rather see Gambit in an X-Men movie than a solo film.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Not necessarily loved but known. Way more people "know" Iron Man than Gambit. Gambit was liked in the 90's by X-Men fans but after... Even at the superherohype.com forums people were happy it was cancelled. They'd much rather see Gambit in an X-Men movie than a solo film.

Did way more people know Iron Man before 2008 though?

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
So fan reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are starting to come in and.... so far, not a total disaster?

I was wondering if there would be somewhat of a difference. Looks at some twitter commentary, there seemed to be a higher amount of people saying they enjoyed it than I expected.

Only 231 reviews in, but it’s at 68% on the audience reviews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad