Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
  • One other thing I enjoyed was towards the end when Cyclops decides that Storm & Nightcrawler were going to join the fight with him and Charles. Seems like a nod to the comics where he is a team leader and that was kind of his "moment."
  • I did not really like the mutant with the dreadlocks or whatever that was. I could be wrong, but I think that character was completely made up. Don't see the need to do that.
Indeed Ariki was created just for the movie.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I'm repeating you a bit here, ultimately the problem with the Dark Phoenix is in both cases they've tried to do it in one movie. The Dark Phoenix Saga relies on a lot of build up. And I don't mean just showing flashes of the Phoenix within Jean. There's a whole period where she unlocks the Phoenix and is fine with it. Then she starts to slip as it takes over her mind. Then there's trying to figure out how to deal with her and ultimately her death. It's a lot. In both cases now, it's failed to translate in a single movie.
It's more than that. To do Dark Phoenix right, you have to really build up the characters of Scott and Jean in particular, and make them the focus of the story. The first trilogy revolved around Logan, Charles, Magneto, and maybe Rogue. Jean & Scott had supporting roles at best, and the actor who played Scott essentially bailed on the third film so he got unceremoniously killed off. Result = poor adaptation, key characters not properly developed nor focused upon.

The First Class series revolves around Charles and Magneto foremost, with the likes of Beast & Mystique in supporting roles. Scott & Jean are again, supporting roles at best and not properly nor fully developed (Jean in particular is far less developed in this series than she was in the original). So again, poor adaptation, key characters not properly developed nor focused upon.

tl;dr: should never have adapted Dark Phoenix at all given the characters that were the focus of the films.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
It's more than that. To do Dark Phoenix right, you have to really build up the characters of Scott and Jean in particular, and make them the focus of the story. The first trilogy revolved around Logan, Charles, Magneto, and maybe Rogue. Jean & Scott had supporting roles at best, and the actor who played Scott essentially bailed on the third film so he got unceremoniously killed off. Result = poor adaptation, key characters not properly developed nor focused upon.

The First Class series revolves around Charles and Magneto foremost, with the likes of Beast & Mystique in supporting roles. Scott & Jean are again, supporting roles at best and not properly nor fully developed (Jean in particular is far less developed in this series than she was in the original). So again, poor adaptation, key characters not properly developed nor focused upon.

tl;dr: should never have adapted Dark Phoenix at all given the characters that were the focus of the films.

I think this is definitely the biggest issue. We just simply don't have enough emotional connection and background for Jean Gray and Scott, so that aspect of it doesn't land as well as it needs to in order to succeed, as you point out. Their relationship just doesn't totally connect. Like, it's pointed out to us, but it's not developed enough during this run of movies.

This is why the MCU has worked so well. They have done such a great job taking time to develop almost all their characters, and that really sticks with the audience. X-Men, obviously, failed to do that. There is more to it than that, but that's a large part of it.

Reactions: LarKing

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I think this is definitely the biggest issue. We just simply don't have enough emotional connection and background for Jean Gray and Scott, so that aspect of it doesn't land as well as it needs to in order to succeed, as you point out. Their relationship just doesn't totally connect. Like, it's pointed out to us, but it's not developed enough during this run of movies.

This is why the MCU has worked so well. They have done such a great job taking time to develop almost all their characters, and that really sticks with the audience. X-Men, obviously, failed to do that. There is more to it than that, but that's a large part of it.

I think this hits it on the head. I had no interest in seeing this in theatres partly because those characters didn’t interest me. It makes you wonder why they don’t have a few true comic book nerds helping them with this kind of stuff. “Hey you can’t do dark Phoenix until these characters are well established”. Or maybe they do but they’re constantly overruled by the people who think they can make a quick buck.

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 43-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I think if Disney does a reboot, I'd argue they should make Scott and Jean a big focus. Basically that first team so we can get to experience a good Dark Phoenix. Also, it opens the door for Mr Sinister because of Scott's background.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Saw some news on this last night regarding the original final act that had to be re-shot. Yeah.... it was Captain Marvel that it was too similar too. I mean, it was like the same exact thing. Not that it would have mattered that much anyway. I actually really enjoyed the third act.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Saw it last night. Wasn't that great considering it was Fox's last hurrah with this franchise

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just watched it. What a waste... :shakehead: 6.8/10 I can't wait for Feige to do this franchise properly. Things I liked: Fassbender & McAvoy, though the latter didn't get to do as much as I expected. The score, this was one of those times Zimmer nailed it. The train scene and the space scene in the beginning. Cyclops was much better done. Things I hated: the fact this was only 1 h 53 minutes. :facepalm: this should've been a two-parter. So much stuff would have needed fleshing out more. The New York street scene was really as bad as the review indicated. The Russo brothers would have laughed out hard when seeing it. I can almost predict the first action scene in a Marvel Studios X-Men film will blow any bigger action scene in this one and the previous films out of the water. But yeah, what a waste.

Also on Fassbender, I think he could make a great either Reed Richards or Victor von Doom. He'd be the right age for either role.

Last edited:

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Man... this was so bad. Bordering on unwatchable.

Fassbender as Dr Doom would be perfect.

Thank god Marvel is taking over. I enjoyed first class and days of future past but it’s been trash since. Unfortunate considering they’ve Used a great villain in Apocalypse badly and now the Dark Phoenix

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Just watched it. What a waste... :shakehead: 6.8/10 I can't wait for Feige to do this franchise properly. Things I liked: Fassbender & McAvoy, though the latter didn't get to do as much as I expected. The score, this was one of those times Zimmer nailed it. The train scene and the space scene in the beginning. Cyclops was much better done. Things I hated: the fact this was only 1 h 53 minutes. :facepalm: this should've been a two-parter. So much stuff would have needed fleshing out more. The New York street scene was really as bad as the review indicated. The Russo brothers would have laughed out hard when seeing it. I can almost predict the first action scene in a Marvel Studios X-Men film will blow any bigger action scene in this one and the previous films out of the water. But yeah, what a waste.

Also on Fassbender, I think he could make a great either Reed Richards or Victor von Doom. He'd be the right age for either role.

I'd be surprised at this point if John Krasinski wasn't given the role of Reed Richards, with his wife, Emily Blunt, playing Susan Storm

Krasinski was originally in the running to play Captain America, and Blunt was originally offered the role of Black Widow

latest

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont

The other flaw was trying to do too much in one film, and given the more natural role of the Hellfire Club's Inner Circle in corrupting Jean, it became a really stupid move to kill off Sebastian Shaw in the first film and marginalize Emma Frost. The Inner Circle were great characters and villains, and their scheming and the nature of their organization was the perfect device to lure in and corrupt Jean Grey. They completely passed over The Phoenix as a heroic character before she was corrupted and became Dark Phoenix as well, which really blunted the impact of the story, which was seeing one of your favorite heroes turned into a villain as her own power corrupts her, but having the "good" still existing within her so that in a moment of lucidity...well, we know what happened and how tragic it seemed at the time. That's what gave the story its power. When the good guys won, they still lost. The movie really was lacking all of that, as did the first attempt to tell the story in the original trilogy of films. You didn't connect to the key characters much to begin with, and they skipped most of the impactful parts of the story.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
I'd be surprised at this point if John Krasinski wasn't given the role of Reed Richards, with his wife, Emily Blunt, playing Susan Storm

Krasinski was originally in the running to play Captain America, and Blunt was originally offered the role of Black Widow
That would have sucked. I wouldn't have bought Blunt in that role at all, and Chris Evans was the perfect Captain America...much better than he was as Johnny Storm. I'm actually sad to see him exit the film series because he fit the role so well.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That would have sucked. I wouldn't have bought Blunt in that role at all, and Chris Evans was the perfect Captain America...much better than he was as Johnny Storm. I'm actually sad to see him exit the film series because he fit the role so well.

I agree about Chris Evans but I'm pretty sure Blunt could have pulled off Black Widow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad