Movies: X-Men:Dark Phoenix-Feb 2019 release

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
You release a trailer & then 2 days later you push back the release date? ... after just telling us it’s a Valentine’s Day release.

That’s just brutal

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
  • Fox, the movie studio behind the "X-Men" franchise, has changed the release date for "Dark Phoenix" for the second time.
  • The movie has been pushed back from February 2019 to summer 2019.
  • The change comes less than two days after the first trailer for the movie debuted.
Less than two days after the first trailer premiered, the release date for the next "X-Men" movie has been pushed back - again.
Rather than coming to theaters on February 14, the movie has been moved to the busy summer blockbuster season on June 7 (viaDeadline). That's about a month after Marvel's "Avengers: Infinity War" sequel comes to theaters in May, and a month before "Spider-Man: Far From Home" arrives in July. Either Fox feels confident enough about the movie to release it among so many other big titles, or last-minute changes to the movie are potentially being made.
This is the second time that Fox, the studio behind the "X-Men" franchise, has pushed the movie. It was originally scheduled for this November, and production issues have reportedly plagued it. Montreal newspaper La Presse reported in July that the movie was undergoing extensive reshoots.
The first "Dark Phoenix" trailer debuted during Wednesday's "The Late Late Show" to mixed reactions from fans. Some are excited to see Simon Kinberg's directorial debut, but many feel it looks too similar to 2006's disappointing "X-Men: The Last Stand," which also attempted to bring the acclaimed Dark Phoenix storyline from the comics to the big screen.
"Gambit," an "X-Men" spin-off movie starring Channing Tatum that has faced development issues for years, was also moved from June 7 to March 2020, according to Deadline. The release date for the next 'X-Men' movie, 'Dark Phoenix,' has been changed for the second time

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Meh, I don't think it's going to be very good. Not a fan of this Jean Grey iteration, and I've despised Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique ever since she was cast. People want to talk about Sophie Turner not having a range of emotion when acting (true) but IMO Lawrence is worse. I hate what they've done to Mystique in this new X-Men.

Probably not going to watch and just wait for them to completely reboot the series. I haven't really liked any of the new characters in X-Men except for McAvoy and Fassbender.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Channing Tatum is playing Gambit???
He has been tied to the project for three years now I believe. That being said, it has not started production and I just don't see it being made since Disney should have full control of the IP sometime next spring.

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
  • Fox, the movie studio behind the "X-Men" franchise, has changed the release date for "Dark Phoenix" for the second time.
  • The movie has been pushed back from February 2019 to summer 2019.
  • The change comes less than two days after the first trailer for the movie debuted.
Less than two days after the first trailer premiered, the release date for the next "X-Men" movie has been pushed back - again.
Rather than coming to theaters on February 14, the movie has been moved to the busy summer blockbuster season on June 7 (viaDeadline). That's about a month after Marvel's "Avengers: Infinity War" sequel comes to theaters in May, and a month before "Spider-Man: Far From Home" arrives in July. Either Fox feels confident enough about the movie to release it among so many other big titles, or last-minute changes to the movie are potentially being made.
This is the second time that Fox, the studio behind the "X-Men" franchise, has pushed the movie. It was originally scheduled for this November, and production issues have reportedly plagued it. Montreal newspaper La Presse reported in July that the movie was undergoing extensive reshoots.
The first "Dark Phoenix" trailer debuted during Wednesday's "The Late Late Show" to mixed reactions from fans. Some are excited to see Simon Kinberg's directorial debut, but many feel it looks too similar to 2006's disappointing "X-Men: The Last Stand," which also attempted to bring the acclaimed Dark Phoenix storyline from the comics to the big screen.
"Gambit," an "X-Men" spin-off movie starring Channing Tatum that has faced development issues for years, was also moved from June 7 to March 2020, according to Deadline. The release date for the next 'X-Men' movie, 'Dark Phoenix,' has been changed for the second time
The same thing with The New Mutants, which was originally supposed to have been released back in March already. Was pushed back to February 2019, now it's slated for August 2019.

The more and more these films get pushed back, the closer we get to the closing of the Disney/Fox deal, and the less and less patience you'd have to think Feige is going to have, waiting to take over creative control and re-write the X-universe into the greater MCU.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The trailer looks cool. I'm not sure this Xmen franchise has earned telling this story though. It's one of the better ones and they did not handle "Apocalypse" well at all IMHO
X-Men should be treated like Avengers stories. Dark Phoenix, Apocalypse, even a lot of stuff with Magneto - these are inflection points in the X-Men stories that are built up over a long time, with these stories being the big payoff (a la the Avengers movies in the MCU). Good, individual stories that feed the larger narrative would make these movies much better.

As it stands, you have to rush the development a ton. And also - for the vast majority of the cast (outside of what, Professor, Magneto, and Mystique?) only have one or two movies behind them (of questionable quality) which doesn't allow for enough time to form attachments/care.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
X-Men should be treated like Avengers stories. Dark Phoenix, Apocalypse, even a lot of stuff with Magneto - these are inflection points in the X-Men stories that are built up over a long time, with these stories being the big payoff (a la the Avengers movies in the MCU). Good, individual stories that feed the larger narrative would make these movies much better.

As it stands, you have to rush the development a ton. And also - for the vast majority of the cast (outside of what, Professor, Magneto, and Mystique?) only have one or two movies behind them (of questionable quality) which doesn't allow for enough time to form attachments/care.

Exactly my thoughts.

They haven't earned the Phoenix story emotional payoff whatsoever. Movies by committee tend to do this, they look at movies as a checkbox list.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Exactly my thoughts.

They haven't earned the Phoenix story emotional payoff whatsoever. Movies by committee tend to do this, they look at movies as a checkbox list.
Just watched Justice League and it feels the same way. Although DCEU has completely f***ed with these characters. Snider was an awful choice as a brain behind this series - he's all flash and no substance. That can be fine for a one-off, but it can't carry a series.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Meh, I don't think it's going to be very good. Not a fan of this Jean Grey iteration, and I've despised Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique ever since she was cast. People want to talk about Sophie Turner not having a range of emotion when acting (true) but IMO Lawrence is worse. I hate what they've done to Mystique in this new X-Men.

Probably not going to watch and just wait for them to completely reboot the series. I haven't really liked any of the new characters in X-Men except for McAvoy and Fassbender.

I'm more interested in J-Law's range of motion than her range of emotion nomeasayin

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa

They should release this turd to try to make some $ for making it. Reboot AGAIN and combine into the rest of the universe. This won't effect the reboot since it'll never have happened.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They just don’t have the patience to do it properly which is astounding considering the formula is sitting there staring at them in the face.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
They just don’t have the patience to do it properly which is astounding considering the formula is sitting there staring at them in the face.
It amazes me that they seem to have people who never read the comics, make the movies. It's like having someone who never read the bible do a movie on it. Or like Clash of the Titans when they tried to re-write Greek mythology. If I'm going to make a big budget film based off of comics, I'd take the time to read the comics first.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I get that Jen Lawrence doesn't seem to want to be there anymore or go through significant trouble with all the makeup (not that I blame her on either count), but goddamn does the CGI'd blue-face on Mystique look awful. Even aside from the fact that the color and tone are different than they were with the makeup and look hokey and artificial, the prosthetic pieces changed the shape of her head/face slightly so not having that makes her look different.

It's also kind of fun that twice they've tried to tell probably the single most iconic piece of X-Men history in movie form and it looks like both times they're crashing and burning (and if not for the merger it could've even been that both times the movie flopping could grind the franchise to a halt).

Reactions: Wrigley

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I get that Jen Lawrence doesn't seem to want to be there anymore or go through significant trouble with all the makeup (not that I blame her on either count), but goddamn does the CGI'd blue-face on Mystique look awful. Even aside from the fact that the color and tone are different than they were with the makeup and look hokey and artificial, the prosthetic pieces changed the shape of her head/face slightly so not having that makes her look different.

It's also kind of fun that twice they've tried to tell probably the single most iconic piece of X-Men history in movie form and it looks like both times they're crashing and burning (and if not for the merger it could've even been that both times the movie flopping could grind the franchise to a halt).

To my knowledge that is makeup. She only wanted it on her head.

Set photo:

the-x-men-team-suits-up-in-new-x-men-dark-phoenix-photo-social.jpg

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Huh. The trailer looks like they touched it up and did it with CGI. Something about the color tone and the way it works in the light looks... I dunno, off. Then they just changed the makeup setup for the worst, because it looks bad.

Looking back at First Class pics they took away a bunch of the scales around her face, but they also lightened the blue to create a more two-tone look.

61cd0695390eb56faf6584e27700dc58.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad