Movies: X-Men:Dark Phoenix-Feb 2019 release

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I get that Jen Lawrence doesn't seem to want to be there anymore or go through significant trouble with all the makeup (not that I blame her on either count), but goddamn does the CGI'd blue-face on Mystique look awful. Even aside from the fact that the color and tone are different than they were with the makeup and look hokey and artificial, the prosthetic pieces changed the shape of her head/face slightly so not having that makes her look different.

It's also kind of fun that twice they've tried to tell probably the single most iconic piece of X-Men history in movie form and it looks like both times they're crashing and burning (and if not for the merger it could've even been that both times the movie flopping could grind the franchise to a halt).

If I recall for the this and the last movie her body is a special suit they designed and only the face is makeup as she was tired of having to sit for hours getting her whole body done.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If I recall for the this and the last movie her body is a special suit they designed and only the face is makeup as she was tired of having to sit for hours getting her whole body done.

Plus she literally said she got tired of turning the toiletbowl blue every time she had to use the toilet.

Reactions: CPTN71

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Real talk:

I have hated every story involving the Phoenix Force (except for like... Secret Wars but that was just Cyclops getting smashed by God Emperor Doom so I don't really count that as a Phoenix story).

In fact, the only X-Men story I've ever liked a lot was Age of Apocalypse.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
So, review embargo is up tomorrow. I really hope this movie doesn't suck by some miracle. Or, at the very least, it's one of those movies that you can enjoy even if it's not super well done.

I think this is a movie where I'll wait and see what the response is like before I decide to go or not. Even if it's getting mixed reviews, I'll probably go see it. But if it's getting totally crapped on (which is what I'm anticipating), then I will probably skip out on it.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
With Sansa starring it's got to be good. Just look at the last 3 episodes of GoT.

They're giving her the same origin as the FF. :laugh:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
If cosmic force in space is used then no. She was a mutant telepath who had the potential to someday be more powerful than Professor X.

Yeah, and that was explored before it the last movie. But the Phoenix force was put upon her on a space mission in the comics, I’m pretty sure.

This isn’t her origin story. It’s the “origin” story of her Dark Phoenix powers, or whatever you want to call it.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
Returning from a mission in space, Jean Grey is exposed to the deadly radiation of a solar flare, and briefly attains her ultimate potential as a telepath and telekinetic. Jean becomes a being of pure thought, and then reforms herself upon return to Earth with the new costume, identity and power of "Phoenix". It is with this incredible power that Jean repairs the fractured M'Kraan Crystal, but voluntarily restrains her powers afterward in order to keep them under control.
The Dark Phoenix Saga - Wikipedia
Yeah, and that was explored before it the last movie. But the Phoenix force was put upon her on a space mission in the comics, I’m pretty sure. This isn’t her origin story. It’s the “origin” story of her Dark Phoenix powers, or whatever you want to call it.

You're correct. Good job.

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Sophie Turner is cringe as an actress. That said it doesn't look awful. Looks like Silver Surfer might die.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Reviews on this are going exactly as I expected. Critics do not like it by and large, but it may not be *quite* the disaster some thought it may be. Sounds like it has some good moments, but doesn’t really do a lot overall.

Though the Rotten Tomatoes score is going to be atrocious, I think reading the actual reviews have made it to where I’ll give this a shot in the theaters. Go in with low expectations and maybe I’ll enjoy it.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Well, watching some reviews this morning, I have come across some people that have enjoyed it. I'm talking like, "well it wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible" reviews.

What's disappointing about this is that there is so much potential. But... that is what makes it so difficult. More potential means more effort needs to go into it, and it sounds like this movie was rushed - which is no shock, at all.

I have heard pretty much everyone say Michael Fassbender was great. I really wish Marvel would keep him in the role. I'm such a huge fan of him.

This thing is going to completely tank at the box office.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah the reviews are bumming me out because I really enjoyed this current cast of X-men.

Though it’s hard to deny things were already going down hill with Apocalypse. First Class and Days of Future Past were quality X-men movies though

Wait and see what Disney does now.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Yeah the reviews are bumming me out because I really enjoyed this current cast of X-men.

Though it’s hard to deny things were already going down hill with Apocalypse. First Class and Days of Future Past were quality X-men movies though

Wait and see what Disney does now.

The only positive here is that it makes the Disney reboot easier.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The only positive here is that it makes the Disney reboot easier.

I hope they keep some of the cast, but I doubt they do. Fassbender really was great as Magneto, which says something as he had big shoes to fill

Magneto is a character Disney needs to get right because he is strong enough character to be a cross over villain for the MCU. He was one of the first major threats for the Ultimates I believe.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I hope they keep some of the cast, but I doubt they do. Fassbender really was great as Magneto, which says something as he had big shoes to fill

Magneto is a character Disney needs to get right because he is strong enough character to be a cross over villain for the MCU. He was one of the first major threats for the Ultimates I believe.

Yeah, I doubt they keep Fassbender, but I wouldn't be against it. Not really sure how the MCU will handle his origins, but I'm sure they have a plan.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I doubt they keep Fassbender, but I wouldn't be against it. Not really sure how the MCU will handle his origins, but I'm sure they have a plan.

IIRC It was rumored like a decade ago that we were going to get origin stories for both Wolverine and Magneto (the Wolverine one which became X-Men Origins: Wolverine) and the Magneto one ended up falling through. If they could reboot the X-Men in a similar way as they did the Avengers, with main characters getting solo movie(s) to build up to a team-up X-Men movie (and eventually a team-up MCU movie) that would just be amazing.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
IIRC It was rumored like a decade ago that we were going to get origin stories for both Wolverine and Magneto (the Wolverine one which became X-Men Origins: Wolverine) and the Magneto one ended up falling through. If they could reboot the X-Men in a similar way as they did the Avengers, with main characters getting solo movie(s) to build up to a team-up X-Men movie (and eventually a team-up MCU movie) that would just be amazing.

I think what he means is Magneto's origins are growing up and learning his powers in Nazi concentration camps. So much of the 'mutant' lore is grounded in past events that it's not really compatible with the current MCU on account how the hell did Shield and all these hero's miss all these super powered mutants have been running around for decades.

If it were the comic books they could just pull the multi-verse thing, and the MCU may go for something like that, but that's getting into the sillier side of comics and is harder to pull off for the broader movie-going audience.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Not surprised, it's getting blasted in most reviews. B-movie bad. When they pulled it from a February release in January to do tons of re-shoots after the first screenings, that was a big clue.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I think what he means is Magneto's origins are growing up and learning his powers in Nazi concentration camps. So much of the 'mutant' lore is grounded in past events that it's not really compatible with the current MCU on account how the hell did Shield and all these hero's miss all these super powered mutants have been running around for decades.

If it were the comic books they could just pull the multi-verse thing, and the MCU may go for something like that, but that's getting into the sillier side of comics and is harder to pull off for the broader movie-going audience.

Correct. Magneto is tied to the Holocaust, so how would they explain that?

They could give him a new origin, but I feel like that would not fly with a lot of the fanbase... or it would have to be done extremely well.

Or, like you said, they could go the multi-verse route. I'd be okay with that, as long as it's not overdone. Just have it be 2 worlds that you focus on, though. And then eventually shut that down and turn it back into 1 - similar to the Secret Wars story that people really want.

I'm not sure how they'll handle Magneto, but I hope they find a good replacement. I'm sure they will find a satisfying origin either way.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Not surprised, it's getting blasted in most reviews. B-movie bad. When they pulled it from a February release in January to do tons of re-shoots after the first screenings, that was a big clue.

I honestly think it was doomed before that. You're right that was a big clue, but there are bigger issues at play here, such as a storyline that was brought on too quickly, some actors that maybe weren't really "into" their role, etc. There were just so many things pointing towards this being a failure, which is why I've been hoping for just a watchable movie for a while now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad