Movies: X-Men:Dark Phoenix-Feb 2019 release

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Will be interesting to see if it makes theaters with rumors still out there that Disney might just can it at some point.

Reactions: irunthepeg

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Will be interesting to see if it makes theaters with rumors still out there that Disney might just can it at some point.
The film’s release date was rescheduled from November to Feb. 2019 to accommodate reshoots for the third act.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I would think there's no chance it doesn't hit the theaters at this point.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I would think there's no chance it doesn't hit the theaters at this point.
I agree just saying there are still rumors that they might can it at this point because Feige wants to be able to use the characters sooner than later. Having the last movie been a few years ago instead of 2019 makes it easier to start incorporating them the further they are out of the fans minds.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I agree just saying there are still rumors that they might can it at this point because Feige wants to be able to use the characters sooner than later. Having the last movie been a few years ago instead of 2019 makes it easier to start incorporating them the further they are out of the fans minds.

But this movie would have been made under the previous licensing deal, right? Not that Marvel couldn't exert some influence, but I think this is a 100% Fox production. Hard to imagine they'd shelve it just to appease Marvel for some reason. There's a ton of famous talent that put work into it -- can't imagine they'd be happy either, especially if any of them get points on the box office.

EDIT: I forgot Disney acquired Fox. Duh. Still imagine it'd be silly to eat the cost of this simply because they want to start using the characters elsewhere ... There is zero reason they can't do both.

Reactions: Huggy43

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I can see Marvel using it to their benefit as well.

This could be a way for them to connect the X-men to the current MCU roster and introduce the cosmic level characters to the mix.

The rumors are this is a direct adaptation of the comic saga, which introduces characters like Galactus...and has an Avengers crossover (albeit a minor one, but can be reworked to serve the purpose)

So they could use this as the bridge between the 2 franchises

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The trailer looks cool. I'm not sure this Xmen franchise has earned telling this story though. It's one of the better ones and they did not handle "Apocalypse" well at all IMHO

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Interesting if they keep the cast as the X-Men become a part of the MCU. I like McAvoy a lot. I can see how it would be confusing to keep the actors/continuity especially within the Marvel plan. Would love to see them drop it though lol. Sansa is a terrible actress, in my opinion and that accent is brutal.

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
The trailer looks cool. I'm not sure this Xmen franchise has earned telling this story though. It's one of the better ones and they did not handle "Apocalypse" well at all IMHO
It's the best X-men story. People always forget that writer/artist John Byrne co-wrote it in addition to drawing it.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Intrigued by this movie. Have enjoyed the 3 recent “time traveling” X- Men that have been released but I think adding them to the MCU is a very bad idea.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Official plot synopsis in the trailer:

In DARK PHOENIX, the X-MEN face their most formidable and powerful foe: one of their own, Jean Grey. During a rescue mission in space, Jean is nearly killed when she is hit by a mysterious cosmic force. Once she returns home, this force not only makes her infinitely more powerful, but far more unstable. Wrestling with this entity inside her, Jean unleashes her powers in ways she can neither comprehend nor contain. With Jean spiraling out of control, and hurting the ones she loves most, she begins to unravel the very fabric that holds the X-Men together. Now, with this family falling apart, they must find a way to unite -- not only to save Jean's soul, but to save our very planet from aliens who wish to weaponize this force and rule the galaxy.

Hmmm. It almost sounds like it's retconning this:

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
He also drew her resurrection story.
Yeah, he wrote and drew more good super hero books at Marvel and DC in the 80s and 90s than anyone. FF, She-Hulk. Alpha Flight, they were all good. He even did DC's Superman re-boot. He wrote and drew well. He's underrated.

Off topic I agree that Iron Fist and Karnak are the best martial artists now, but characters evolve. Iron Fist benefited from a great Brubaker run. I went to cons in the 70s and 80s and every writer agreed that Shang Chi was the best.

Iron Fist has evolved past him, but Iron Fist is more than human and Karnak is not human. In terms of normal humans w/o special powers or abilities who trained on Earth, Shang Chi is still the best. That's who he is. He's the Master of Kung Fu.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Sophie Turner has no range of emotion. She quite litterally has 1 acting face, moppy, dreary and depressive.

X-men Apocalypse was horrible, about as bad as X3. While Turner wasn't the main problem (bad bad writing, criminal misuse of one of the best villains in Marvel) she didn't help the movie in any way.

Reactions: JenniferH

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
At least in X3, Jean was already an established character and we genuinely cared about her. That version of Dark Phoenix sucked (thanks Brett Ratner) but at least there was a core of character investment. Sophie Turner's Jean? She pops up out of nowhere in "Apocalypse", already has the Phoenix Force, and is the McGuffin to defeating the unstoppable God bad guy. Nothing was earned there. They just wanted a cool scene and tried to give it to us without doing any work to make it matter.

This "style over substance" trend is really ruining a lot of blockbuster movies now. You can have your cool scenes and plop them on screen, but if there's no drama and/or investment behind them that you get from good writing and storytelling, then the scenes don't matter and your movie ends up being dumb. At the end of the day, these are fantasy movies about superheros in costumes flying around and fighting eachother. 10 years of the MCU doing things the right way doesn't change the fact that without good writing it's real easy for these movies to get really stupid, really fast.

Reactions: NyQuil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad