Movies: X-Men:Dark Phoenix-Feb 2019 release

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
As someone who grew up on the animated series, I wouldn't mind a Jubilee or Gambit origin story. My issue with the X-Men movies was always relying on the same people, where you have interesting characters who should have gotten a shot instead.

The money makes it always be about Wolverine/Storm/Cyclops/Jean Gray. Look at what happened to The New Mutants movie. Magik has been one of the most important X-Men the last 10 years.

I'd love for them to do a movie on the X-Treme Team or Maddrox Investigations etc.

Problem with origin movies is it takes 3/4 of the film to establish and have the character become the character and then we have to wait 2 years to revisit them. It was fine in the 70s and 80s before social media/internet, but by this point, everyone knows or has access to all of the X-Mens stories online.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not surprising that it has not received great reviews. It's really a lame duck movie at this point.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
It's dropping as well.

It dropped since the original reveal, but it’s been pretty steady at 64% for a while.

I will be seeing it tomorrow night, but from what I’ve heard pretty consistently.. the first act is alright, the middle act is what hurts it, and then the third act is pretty well done. Which makes sense why there would be a good sized difference between the critics & audience.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Not a surprise, but this is tanking at the box office. It's on pace for a mid 30s opening weekend, which will probably take it to about $80-90M tops domestically, which will be well below every other Xmen film.

To put it into perspective, Xmen Apocalypse was considered a disappointment, and that still made $155M.

Sad to see such a lacklustre end to a franchise that has delivered something pretty good films.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Not a surprise, but this is tanking at the box office. It's on pace for a mid 30s opening weekend, which will probably take it to about $80-90M tops domestically, which will be well below every other Xmen film.

To put it into perspective, Xmen Apocalypse was considered a disappointment, and that still made $155M.

Sad to see such a lacklustre end to a franchise that has delivered something pretty good films.

The original Xmen movie was a great start to the series. X2 was a solid, solid sequel, unfortunately X3 was a train wreck. The rest were pretty good, minus Apocalypse, to which they massively screwed up on.

And of course there was Logan, the best Superhero movie ever made, alongside TDK.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
The original Xmen movie was a great start to the series. X2 was a solid, solid sequel, unfortunately X3 was a train wreck. The rest were pretty good, minus Apocalypse, to which they massively screwed up on.

And of course there was Logan, the best Superhero movie ever made, alongside TDK.

I enjoyed Logan, but I honestly didn’t love it. 7 or 8 out of 10, so very good. Don’t get me wrong. But I’ve enjoyed other superhero movies more. Maybe because it was hyped so much.

I did enjoy First Class & Days of Future Past quite a bit. I really didn’t hate Apocalypse. That was the first X-men movie I ever watched, and it was good enough for me to keep it on. But I understand why it gets the hate it goes.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
In terms of X-Men movies: First Class is underrated thanks to Matthew Vaughn who is a tremendous director, loved Days Of The Future Past, X2 was pretty good, Logan was awesome, and The Wolverine was solidly decent. Not a fan of the first XMen (origin movies usually bother me with rare exceptions and the first Burton Batman for instance is not a traditional origin movie), X3 was dumb, Wolverine: Origins was boring, and I like both Deadpool movies but they don't have much replay value for me.

Curious if DP is the train wreck they say. Seeing it soon.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
In terms of X-Men movies: First Class is underrated thanks to Matthew Vaughn who is a tremendous director, loved Days Of The Future Past, X2 was pretty good, Logan was awesome, and The Wolverine was solidly decent. Not a fan of the first XMen (origin movies usually bother me with rare exceptions and the first Burton Batman for instance is not a traditional origin movie), X3 was dumb, Wolverine: Origins was boring, and I like both Deadpool movies but they don't have much replay value for me.

Curious if DP is the train wreck they say. Seeing it soon.

Going to see Dark Phoenix in half an hour here. A lot of non-critics seems to indicate it’s not the train wreck the critics have said. I mean, that’s quite a low bar, but I’ll take it...

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Saw a headline that read: Fox's 'Dark Phoenix' is the end of a mediocre era. Can Disney make Marvel's X-Men great again?

Seriously? A lot of MCU fanboys probably think the same thing too. Can't wait for Disney to turn the X-Men franchise into another set of campy films, which is the only thing they know how to do. Days of Future Past is better than anything Disney has done.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Saw a headline that read: Fox's 'Dark Phoenix' is the end of a mediocre era. Can Disney make Marvel's X-Men great again?

Seriously? A lot of MCU fanboys probably think the same thing too. Can't wait for Disney to turn the X-Men franchise into another set of campy films, which is the only thing they know how to do. Days of Future Past is better than anything Disney has done.

giphy.gif

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I enjoyed it!

I mean, it’s no masterpiece. Didn’t love it. But hardly the disaster some are making it out to be. Glad I made the decision to go.

The biggest disappointment is knowing what could have been with this storyline.

Oh... and Zimmer’s score... phenomenal.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You're the least objective person on the board when it comes to Disney's MCU so...

And you calling them campy AND claiming Days Of Future Past as being better than either Avengers, Winter Soldier, Infinity War or Endgame, means your judgment on quality is disturbingly lacking. It's like the people who claim B vs S is the best DCEU film (over Wonder Woman or Aquabro...errr...-man).

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It was pretty good

Its no different than the others imo

Still cant touch Days of future past which was extraordinary

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I personally love Logan and Days of Future Past. I'll take them over the MCU stuff. 2 of my favourite comic book films ever. Have at me fanboys!

Deadpool is different and cool also

But boy did they kill it with Days of Future Past. Just the best

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It's a shame because the Dark Phoenix story arc is really great in the comics.

How many times does she get killed in this series lol

Also the timeline crossover is a mess to try to follow

So after Dark Phoenix 5-10 years later ... how does Wolverine come into play and Raven is still alive etc.

Days of future past imo, is the proper "final"

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Saw it last night. It wasn't THAT bad. 6/10. It had some good stuff, and problems, but it's better than Apocalypse.

Without getting into spoilers, not enough Quicksilver and for a movie that is supposed to take place in 1992 they did such a lazy job depicting it as the 90s. Some of the clothes worn by the characters were not around back then (Xavier in some obvious $90 Banana Republic Polo, the villains wearing very thin suits/dress clothes which were not a thing back then. Everyone dressed baggy in the 90s, it was before the whole vegan craze and modern build).

Also the aging is just terrible. Some of these characters are supposed to be 20-30 years older from when we first meet them. Fassbender great as usual but the character of Magneto is supposed to be in his early 60s by this point and I'm sorry, no men in that age looked like that then, it wasn't possible even for ex athletes.

There were similarities to the Skrulls is all I'll say.

Nice cameo by Allara from The Orville (Halston Sage) as OG Casablanca Records Dazzler even though the "music" was total autotune modern nonsense.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not as bad as I thought it would be but I have a whole lot of gripes with it.

As mentioned above, the fact that Charles and Erik are supposed to be born before WW2 and yet in 1992 they look like the are in the late 30s or early 40s in the case of Erik...come on people.

Then there is Jessica Chastens character Vuk which about the only thing they seemed to have got right was that he is from an alien species...

Killing Raven/Mystique, especially how they did it was dumb. Mystique has a healing factor that can heal her from serious injuries and I healthy Raven should have been able to do it in this case...

A bunch of other but whatever...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->