Movies: X-Men:Dark Phoenix-Feb 2019 release

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Saw a headline that read: Fox's 'Dark Phoenix' is the end of a mediocre era. Can Disney make Marvel's X-Men great again?

Seriously? A lot of MCU fanboys probably think the same thing too. Can't wait for Disney to turn the X-Men franchise into another set of campy films, which is the only thing they know how to do. Days of Future Past is better than anything Disney has done.
I'd atleast like to see 1 X men film in my lifetime where they actually have the characters wearing their outfits and at the very least they will do that.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Not as bad as I thought it would be but I have a whole lot of gripes with it.

As mentioned above, the fact that Charles and Erik are supposed to be born before WW2 and yet in 1992 they look like the are in the late 30s or early 40s in the case of Erik...come on people.

Then there is Jessica Chastens character Vuk which about the only thing they seemed to have got right was that he is from an alien species...

Killing Raven/Mystique, especially how they did it was dumb. Mystique has a healing factor that can heal her from serious injuries and I healthy Raven should have been able to do it in this case...

A bunch of other but whatever...

@beowulf to the line you've hidden, she visibly looked uninterested in the last movie so I'm not surprised but yeah, dumb.

Also yes on Charles and Magneto. Let's say Erik is born in 1935 so he'd be 62 or 63. I know Jim Lee drew his characters as buff but there's zero chance he looks like he did.

Also, MacKellan's Magento is only 7-8 years away from being introduced in the universe from this movie. Explain that.

They're using the same logic as Kelvin Star Trek.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I’ve just accepted that Fox gave up on the timeline aspect of it, so that part is just whatever to me. I basically view each of these movies as their own solo thing.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
This was ok. The first like half hour is good and then it gets resoundingly meh.

-Are they just ignoring the the 2000s movies timeline? Cause um Mystique is in those movies so why did they kill her? That was stupid.

-It’s funny how in just 8 years Prof X/Magneto/Beast are going to age into Patrick Stewart/Ian McKellan/Kelsey Grammar. They did a real poor job with the aging in this.

-The Aliens were completely useless and not needed at all. Felt like they were just there as fodder to fight. Could have done this whole movie without them just Jean vs. X-Men.

-And as someone else said they put a big 1992 on the screen and then just treated everything like it was 2019. Really seems like they were just throwing in the towel and got lazy in this one. The first 3 movies did a good job of being time accurate.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
This was ok. The first like half hour is good and then it gets resoundingly meh.

-Are they just ignoring the the 2000s movies timeline? Cause um Mystique is in those movies so why did they kill her? That was stupid.

-It’s funny how in just 8 years Prof X/Magneto/Beast are going to age into Patrick Stewart/Ian McKellan/Kelsey Grammar. They did a real poor job with the aging in this.

-The Aliens were completely useless and not needed at all. Felt like they were just there as fodder to fight. Could have done this whole movie without them just Jean vs. X-Men.

-And as someone else said they put a big 1992 on the screen and then just treated everything like it was 2019. Really seems like they were just throwing in the towel and got lazy in this one. The first 3 movies did a good job of being time accurate.

Rumor has it that the aliens were supposed to be the Skrull but when they were used in the MCU first, both FOX and Disney had rights to use them as they have been the foes of the X-Men and the Avengers, FOX just threw this together.

Also the whole third act was re-shot because the look and feel was supposedly too close to Civil War and Infinity War.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

I agree about the villain. Very weak. They could have treated this almost similar to the MCU’s Civil War, though it’d be Jean vs Magneto (and team) vs Professor X (and team).

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Movie is crashing hard at domestic box office

Not surprised at all. Actually somewhat surprised the international BO was as high as it was. This movie was not going to have a strong performance anyway, but it was really destined for a poor weekend when the critic reviews started coming out. It's too bad, because I think it's better than Apocalypse, but it's not a shock.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I've said this before, but I simply loved the score to this movie. Think it helped the movie big time. Among my favorite scores ever for a superhero movie, which isn't a surprise considering Zimmer is behind it. Nevertheless, here it is:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Rumor has it that the aliens were supposed to be the Skrull but when they were used in the MCU first, both FOX and Disney had rights to use them as they have been the foes of the X-Men and the Avengers, FOX just threw this together.

Also the whole third act was re-shot because the look and feel was supposedly too close to Civil War and Infinity War.
Should have been Shi'ar. Perfect way to introduce them.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
On the other hand he directed Days Of Future Past and that's one of the best in the franchise, if not the best.

Absolutely. But Singer being there or not being there has little to do with quality. If anything it's Fox screwing the pooch and not finding a suitable replacement. Plus Singer was only partially responsible for both DOFP and Apocalypse. He was in and out of the scene for his personal problems constantly.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm trying to come up with a logical explanation for how a bunch of dorks like myself on the internet could smell that this movie was going to be garbage as soon as it was announced (even before the trailer) and none of the people actually involved in the film could see it. You can't have Jean Grey BARELY in Xmen Apocalypse (which was mostly a very bad movie) and then give Xmen fans "Dark Phoenix". There was almost zero build up to her significance as a character or her powers and the studio decides to trot this out like it'll be some mega-awesome thing. Just because Dark Phoenix is an awesome comic doesn't mean it can be made into a movie and automatically be as amazing.

So much of what I hate about movies as of late is that they seemingly care more about giving viewers cool scenes and fan service than they do setting up how we get to those cool scenes. The cool shit doesn't matter anywhere near as much if the path to get there wasn't set up properly.

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 43-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm trying to come up with a logical explanation for how a bunch of dorks like myself on the internet could smell that this movie was going to be garbage as soon as it was announced (even before the trailer) and none of the people actually involved in the film could see it. You can't have Jean Grey BARELY in Xmen Apocalypse (which was mostly a very bad movie) and then give Xmen fans "Dark Phoenix". There was almost zero build up to her significance as a character or her powers and the studio decides to trot this out like it'll be some mega-awesome thing. Just because Dark Phoenix is an awesome comic doesn't mean it can be made into a movie and automatically be as amazing.

So much of what I hate about movies as of late is that they seemingly care more about giving viewers cool scenes and fan service than they do setting up how we get to those cool scenes. The cool **** doesn't matter anywhere near as much if the path to get there wasn't set up properly.

I'm repeating you a bit here, ultimately the problem with the Dark Phoenix is in both cases they've tried to do it in one movie. The Dark Phoenix Saga relies on a lot of build up. And I don't mean just showing flashes of the Phoenix within Jean. There's a whole period where she unlocks the Phoenix and is fine with it. Then she starts to slip as it takes over her mind. Then there's trying to figure out how to deal with her and ultimately her death. It's a lot. In both cases now, it's failed to translate in a single movie. You know what handled the phoenix saga well? The animated series. lol

Reactions: x Tame Impala

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Got a chance to see this again today at the movie theater I enjoy more than the one I went to the first time. Anyway, here are my spoiler thoughts:

• I really enjoy the opening. Nice little backstory moment there for Jean. Same with the mission to space. I thought that was well done and definitely helped bring me in for when the movie started to lack a little. I've seen some people complain about Charles' choice to keep the X-Men in space, but I don't have an issue with that. The team decided they could do it, and he didn't want to leave a human in space. Doesn't seem totally ridiculous to me.
  • I just feel like there isn't enough depth to the Phoenix force. It's somewhat explained, and it's good enough for me to accept... but not like. This is where I felt like having a longer movie or a 2 part movie would have helped. It's a complex thing, and I felt like we just kind of had to accept what it was. Like I said, it wasn't so bad that it ruined the movie for me, but I wanted more.
  • I enjoyed the story with her father quite a bit. It makes sense to me for the most part.
  • I wish the fight scene at the house was pretty great. Wish it was longer. I know people hated on Lawrence's acting, but this was the only part I didn't like from her. When she's talking to Jean, I just didn't dig it. But, I thought her death scene (even if it doesn't make sense as far as whether or not she should die) was well done. Thought Nicholas Hoult's acting was fantastic in this scene, as well as when he confronts Charles right after. I felt the emotion in those scenes, even if there is issues with the how/why it takes place.
  • One thing that was definitely rushed was how the mutants all of a sudden became villains to humans. I understand the premise, but it seemed rushed. For example, I think it would make more sense if the President talked to Xavier, and the President wanted Jean taken out, but Xavier refused to let that happen, which caused tensions. It's a pretty simple thing, but adds more depth to it. Again, not something that ruined the movie at all, but could have been done better.
  • I was a bit distracted the first time I saw the movie, so the NY battle and the train scene didn't totally click for me. BUT, when I saw it tonight, I loved them, especially the train scene. Magneto crushing the train, the Beast going crazy, Nightcrawler getting pissed, Storm doing some sweet things... it was just a lot of fun to watch.
  • But, the ending doesn't totally click for me. Just seemed anti-climatic after the rest of the train scene, and I didn't feel the emotional weight of Jean being gone. Luckily, the rest of that scene was good enough to make up for that. The villains were pretty weak overall. Just put in there to be there, it seems.
  • Smaller thing, but I really enjoyed the placement of the f-bomb.
  • Also, as I said before, the score is just great. The theater I was at tonight has fantastic sound, and that made it even better.
  • Fassbender was fantastic as always. I really enjoyed most of the acting in this movie, though it seems I’m on my own on that thought.
  • There are probably some other things I'm missing, but this is what came to mind.

Overall, enjoyed the movie a lot. Definitely has issues, and you basically just have to ignore most things that happened before this, because Fox gave no care to continuity. But whatever. I get over that and just enjoy this movie for what it is.

6.5/10

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I'll watch it. It seems like a lot of Sansa/Thrones backlash.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I'm repeating you a bit here, ultimately the problem with the Dark Phoenix is in both cases they've tried to do it in one movie. The Dark Phoenix Saga relies on a lot of build up. And I don't mean just showing flashes of the Phoenix within Jean. There's a whole period where she unlocks the Phoenix and is fine with it. Then she starts to slip as it takes over her mind. Then there's trying to figure out how to deal with her and ultimately her death. It's a lot. In both cases now, it's failed to translate in a single movie. You know what handled the phoenix saga well? The animated series. lol

It was intended to be a two movie arc but the studio decided to cut it to 1.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
  • One other thing I enjoyed was towards the end when Cyclops decides that Storm & Nightcrawler were going to join the fight with him and Charles. Seems like a nod to the comics where he is a team leader and that was kind of his "moment."
  • I did not really like the mutant with the dreadlocks or whatever that was. I could be wrong, but I think that character was completely made up. Don't see the need to do that.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Should have been Shi'ar. Perfect way to introduce them.

that's what surprised me. wasn't it supposed to be the Shi'ar? like both times the movies do Phoenix - and both times they just ignore what could have been a great story even if you don't "Avenger lead" up to it. basically.

M'chron Crystal
Shi'ar.
stop bad Shi'ar prince.
Jean goes poof.

it's not that complicated.

Reactions: Eisen

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Sounds like both critics and audiences are panning this one. After seeing the mediocre Apocalypse a few years ago, I may skip this one until it comes out on my movie channel or NetFlix or maybe see it at the cheapies in a couple months.

Best X-Men movies are X-Men 2: X-Men United, Days of Future Past and Logan. X-Men: First Class just a step below. First X-Men movie was decent but very over-rated. Wolverine Origins and X-Men Apocalypse and X-Men 3 belong at the bottom of the trash heap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->