Worst GM in the league right now

Who is the worst GM in the league right now?

• Total voters

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
One of the few things I could hold against Dubas is his big ticket signings but I don't care about it much in that the big money is going to stars in their primes. He probably runs one of the only teams that doesn't have a single bad contract that would be tough to move, which is refreshing.

Over the timeframe of their signings (to date) Matthews is 13th in Pts/GP and 1st in total goals, Marner is 8th in Pts/GP and 3rd in A/GP,, Tavares is 24th in Pts/GP and 9th in goals. I can live with that.

This. He can move any contract. The idea Leafs are poster boys for "Cap hell" is so absurd and laughable when compared to all teams. The constant "4 players 40 million" was such a lazy narrative that gave you very little insight into the entire roster and overall cap situation Dubas has done a great job. Do not overpay support talent.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
This. He can move any contract. The idea Leafs are poster boys for "Cap hell" is so absurd and laughable when compared to all teams. The constant "4 players 40 million" was such a lazy narrative that gave you very little insight into the entire roster and overall cap situation Dubas has done a great job. Do not overpay support talent.
Pretty much every GM can, if you pay a team enough to take on the contract

Example: Marleau + 1st round pick

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021

If you;re trying to say all teams are like the Leafs, I completely disagree. There are teams with 4-5 horrific deals they can't move
Leafs are in a pretty solid cap situation right now.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Weak. I think his point was Dubas would get value back for any player on the roster, not pay to move them. AJ and Kapanen come to mind.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
So far it would have to be Jim Benning, I know he didn't have much room but come on, letting Toffoli go at that cap hit was simply stupid!

Before last season I would have most probably voted Bergevin, but he had a "great off season " and possibly saved his job at the same time!!

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
So far it would have to be Jim Benning, I know he didn't have much room but come on, letting Toffoli go at that cap hit was simply stupid!

Before last season I would have most probably voted Bergevin, but he had a "great off season " and possibly saved his job at the same time!!
Benning would have gladly paid that to Toffoli, but he put the team in cap hell and couldn't do it.

CTZ181

Jan 18, 2021
I really don't like many of the moves Dubas has made over the last few years. The Brodie acquisition was a good one. I know the team is doing well but I just don't see them competing in the playoffs. And it was weird signing Thornton when you already have Spezza.

Don't know how people are picking Bergevin. That Montreal team is solid throughout the lineup now with a lot of young players.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
I really don't like many of the moves Dubas has made over the last few years. The Brodie acquisition was a good one. I know the team is doing well but I just don't see them competing in the playoffs. And it was weird signing Thornton when you already have Spezza.

Don't know how people are picking Bergevin. That Montreal team is solid throughout the lineup now with a lot of young players.

You must be excluding an awful lot then. Holl pick-up and signing, Muzzin trade and signing, Hyman trade. Sandin trade down in the draft, Kapanen trade, Simmonds, Spezza, Thornton signings. Lehtonen and Mikeyev signings. HIs drafting since he took over looks fantastic without any high picks. The last 2 years at the world juniors the player named top D was Dubas picks.

You don't see them winning ever in the playoffs because they've never "Won a round". It's quite frankly a dumb assessment. The team is different and has core pieces now in their primes.

A lot of these knocks on Dubas aren't aging too well.

CTZ181

Jan 18, 2021
You must be excluding an awful lot then. Holl pick-up and signing, Muzzin trade and signing, Hyman trade. Sandin trade down in the draft, Kapanen trade, Simmonds, Spezza, Thornton signings. Lehtonen and Mikeyev signings. HIs drafting since he took over looks fantastic without any high picks. The last 2 years at the world juniors the player named top D was Dubas picks.

You don't see them winning ever in the playoffs because they've never "Won a round". It's quite frankly a dumb assessment. The team is different and has core pieces now in their primes.

I just don't think I see a team with the defence and toughness to contend. The counterargument will be winning in the playoffs. Until then I rest my case. /shrug

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
I just don't think I see a team with the defence and toughness to contend. The counterargument will be winning in the playoffs. Until then I rest my case. /shrug

I think all of that comes from them not "winning a round", which I think is a little much. 3 out of 4 losses were to the cup favs and many of their core players were far from in their prime. Babcock really hurt their chances as well with his coaching.

The most talented NHL team is the defending cup champs, They have the talent and their D is good this year. Not the same team at all. The past is the past with a different roster

Last edited:

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013

Just look at the draft lol

Robertson
Veeti Miettinen
Sandin
Nemila
Lily
Amirov
Mikhail Abramov
Rindell
Hirovan
Kokkonen
SDA
Kral
Koster
Ambruzze

And I could keep going lol he trades down well and finds talent everywhere. When hunter and lou were here they were TERRIBLE.

Dubas will end up being on of the top GM's and I cannot wait to bump.

These drafts don't even take into consideration how well he scouts undrafted players.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Just look at the draft lol

Robertson
Veeti Miettinen
Sandin
Nemila
Lily
Amirov
Mikhail Abramov
Rindell
Hirovan
Kokkonen
SDA
Kral
Koster
Ambruzze

And I could keep going lol he trades down well and finds talent everywhere. When hunter and lou were here they were TERRIBLE.

Dubas will end up being on of the top GM's and I cannot wait to bump.

These drafts don't even take into consideration how well he scouts undrafted players.

And he's only 34, which is a big advantage unlike people who claimed he was too young.

Reactions: TopChedder

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I mean, most players in general who approach UFA and get these type of questions about it have said the same things. I'm not sure how some take it as some sort of guarantee that they're staying.

Like I get fans being sad that he left; that's valid. But we're coming up on 3 years later, and for somebody to still be going around slandering his name and making false claims about him solely because they didn't like the outcome... that's going too far.
I'm surprised they still talk about him. You wouldn't think so after hearing their lame chants of "We Don't Need You"...."Barzy's Better"....and that lame fan made video where they're outside their dump of a barn.

Reactions: TopChedder

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
To show that GMs change
I would vote Poile at this point.

Had a team, who was an SCF finalist, and now have sagged in the past 2 seasons.
Will be tied with Detroit, if they beat them tonight.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

While I realize HF will put all kinds of asterisks (56 games, North division, blah blah blah), there's a real chance Dubas could have the team pace for best record in club history.
If he does, it would mean at all 3 levels he has been GM, his club would have set franchise records within 3 - 4 years of his arrival.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
While I realize HF will put all kinds of asterisks (56 games, North division, blah blah blah), there's a real chance Dubas could have the team pace for best record in club history.
If he does, it would mean at all 3 levels he has been GM, his club would have set franchise records within 3 - 4 years of his arrival.
There's a reason so many teams wanted him in 2014

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

The most talked about asterisks of all time-book it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad