Worst GM in the league right now

Who is the worst GM in the league right now?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I mean, most players in general who approach UFA and get these type of questions about it have said the same things. I'm not sure how some take it as some sort of guarantee that they're staying.
Can you imagine if Tavares had said he wanted to leave the Islanders 1 year before he was set to become a UFA. What do you think the reaction of their fans would have been, even if he was being honest and not giving the usual answers when asked that question.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Can you imagine if Tavares had said he wanted to leave the Islanders 1 year before he was set to become a UFA. What do you think the reaction of their fans would have been, even if he was being honest and not giving the usual answers when asked that question.
Fans would be overwhelmingly sympathetic, they knew how awful the franchise was before his final year (his final year is when the franchise headed in the better direction) but if Tavares had declared his desire to seek FA and said nothing about wanting/hoping to remain an Islander the fans would be overwhelming sympathetic to him, Pat Lafontaine was one of the most popular Islanders of all time who held out and forced the Islanders to trade him over money and issues with the management and 30 years later those who grew up with him still consider him their favorite

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Ha "Leafs were not even thought of as the most likely destination if not for the Islanders" you are funny, pathological lying must be a thing there, and as said it was not about the money it was about getting Toronto to give as much as they could, had he been honest or even not lied people would be speculating wildly about him going to Toronto and they would have offered like 9.5×7 max or something, him lying I am sure got him an extra million per or something.
Buddy, Leafs were not the frontruinners at all for Tavares. The media (Toronto media) said it would be anyone but the Leafs. Fans did not think he was signing with the Leafs. All indications Leafs were only advised the night before July 1st and Islanders were very much in the mix until the end.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Buddy, Leafs were not the frontruinners at all for Tavares. The media (Toronto media) said it would be anyone but the Leafs. Fans did not think he was signing with the Leafs. All indications Leafs were only advised the night before July 1st and Islanders were very much in the mix until the end.

I think you misremembered.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
not going into a pissing match about this again as I said in numerous posts in this thread why this is false, but yea lets just say if you allow the media to heavily influence you, you get conclusions like this, and it is how Tavares planned it

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Bergevin turned Pacioretty into Tatar and Suzuki and he's winning this poll? That's wayyyyy more lopsided in the Habs favour than the delusion of Sergachev for Drouin being something horrific (bad trade sure, but most of these GMs have made worse moves)

Sheesh, tough crowd.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Bergevin turned Pacioretty into Tatar and Suzuki and he's winning this poll? That's wayyyyy more lopsided in the Habs favour than the delusion of Sergachev for Drouin being something horrific (bad trade sure, but most of these GMs have made worse moves)

Sheesh, tough crowd.
Why use 2 examples of a guy GM for 9 seasons. That longevity of middling prior to the Canada division is what drove the votes

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I can't believe Bergevin was ever leading this poll. Shows how ridiculous HF can be.

He had one rough summer in 2017, but other than that, he's been solid throughout.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Last edited:
Reactions: Pyrophorus

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

This is what I've been saying, its not he can say, during the season, under contract "When its over, I'm outta here"
Just imagine the reaction then?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
This is what I've been saying, its not he can say, during the season, under contract "When its over, I'm outta here"
Just imagine the reaction then?

Think fans here would holler "tampering" from the top of the roof? We already know NYI filed tampering charges against Toronto (which they were completely cleared of).

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Think fans here would holler "tampering" from the top of the roof? We already know NYI filed tampering charges against Toronto (which they were completely cleared of).

No. He wouldn't have to say he's going to Toronto, just that he wouldn't coming back to the Island, at that point.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
What a terrible results
Bergevin won like every trade he made recently. Dubas maybe overpaid some RFAs but its still best kind of players to overpaid.
If Doug Wilson is one who signed all these terrible contracts and made Karlsson trade he should be close to the top for sure. Benning is another good candidate for cap situation Vancouver is in now.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Sheesh, tough crowd.

this was after the Anderson trade.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
What a terrible results
Bergevin won like every trade he made recently. Dubas maybe overpaid some RFAs but its still best kind of players to overpaid.
If Doug Wilson is one who signed all these terrible contracts and made Karlsson trade he should be close to the top for sure. Benning is another good candidate for cap situation Vancouver is in now.
Good point. Sharks are paying 26 million for for 4 more years to aging D.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
No. He wouldn't have to say he's going to Toronto, just that he wouldn't coming back to the Island, at that point.
Given the rationale level around here, do you really think that would fly? It's funny enough that the GM who submitted the tampering charge was the GM of the team he accused of tampering.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
What a terrible results

One of the few things I could hold against Dubas is his big ticket signings but I don't care about it much in that the big money is going to stars in their primes. He probably runs one of the only teams that doesn't have a single bad contract that would be tough to move, which is refreshing.

Over the timeframe of their signings (to date) Matthews is 13th in Pts/GP and 1st in total goals, Marner is 8th in Pts/GP and 3rd in A/GP,, Tavares is 24th in Pts/GP and 9th in goals. I can live with that.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
I can't believe Bergevin was ever leading this poll. Shows how ridiculous HF can be.

He had one rough summer in 2017, but other than that, he's been solid throughout.

To be fair i think this whole poll and Bergevin voting was pushed by Canadiens fans unhappy with Anderson trade/contract. At least that was my feeling when poll was created.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
To be fair i think this whole poll and Bergevin voting was pushed by Canadiens fans unhappy with Anderson trade/contract. At least that was my feeling when poll was created.

Shows why, despite being a Habs fan, I tend to stay away from HF Habs. Rather toxic over there.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad