Worst GM in the league right now

Who is the worst GM in the league right now?

• Total voters

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I really hated that quote from the guy in Carolina, I think it was the GM. "I'd rather lose 6-5 than win 2-1." That attitude is a great way to lose a lot of games 2-1. If you're trying to play an open game and not shut it down defensively, even very poor offensive teams will be able to put 2 goals on you. And if you think that you can always just score your way out of a hole, you'll be rudely awakened by any team with a good defense. They will keep you to 1 or 2 goals, and just manage to score 2 goals or 3 goals, whichever is necessary to win. You can't go anywhere with a mentality like that. So while they have decently good pieces, I think they'll try too hard to inject bad pieces and just eventually fall apart.

Their 5 game drubbing at the hands of the elite Boston defense, despite having all the advanced stats and the highly-touted players, should be a wakeup call. If it's not, they may still make the playoffs, but when it counts they're only going to lose, and lose and then lose some more.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Bergevin or Dubas. Although to be fair Dubas hasn’t been as bad as long. He just walked into a really good situation and has messed it up.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I see a lot of votes for Rutherford. I am not sure I agree with that.

Yes, he has stripped them of all their picks and prospects, and has gotten them into some salary cap trouble.

But his "win now" philosophy did win 2 Stanley Cups. Plus, the Penguins are going to be forced to rebuild when Crosby/Malkin retire, whether they had kept all of those late 1st rounders or not.

Might as well try to maximize your chances in the few years they have left.

I think Dubas is much worse.

He has given a bunch of players huge contracts who have never gotten out of the 1st round. Created a salary cap problem for himself.

He also doesn't seem to know how to properly structure a team. A team full of high-paid finesse forwards and no defense isn't exactly the recipe for success.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'm curious to see the votes over the years. Seems like Bergevin is the one GM that comes back very often haha. As a Habs fan I'll abstain voting for him because I'm biased, especially with that recent contract :sarcasm:

Rutherford's been... interesting recently . I was gonna vote for Buffalo but he's a different GM now... so Rutherford for the past year

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I voted for Bowman. He was very good throughout the early part of the decade, but has since taken a nosedive.
The Blackhawks are a directionless team.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I see a lot of votes for Rutherford. I am not sure I agree with that.

Yes, he has stripped them of all their picks and prospects, and has gotten them into some salary cap trouble.

But his "win now" philosophy did win 2 Stanley Cups. Plus, the Penguins are going to be forced to rebuild when Crosby/Malkin retire, whether they had kept all of those late 1st rounders or not.

Might as well try to maximize your chances in the few years they have left.

I think Dubas is much worse.

He has given a bunch of players huge contracts who have never gotten out of the 1st round. Created a salary cap problem for himself.

He also doesn't seem to know how to properly structure a team. A team full of high-paid finesse forwards and no defense isn't exactly the recipe for success.

Dubas how?

First he has been on the job only a few years.

He came into a situation where dumb dumb hunter and many people before him NEVER drafted well or ever targeted defense.

Also who is to say anybody would have signed Matty or Mitch for less? Who was getting JT for less? Yes he should have played harder ball, and JT was prob not needed, but good GM's go out and get premier free agents. Again he is young and I am sure he will learn (look at the rest of his contracts with mid tier players and you will see they are reasonable) and many GM's sell the farm on shit players.

Finally his drafting. Say what you will on the makeup of the team but he gets great value picks (not perfect) but solid. He drafts for BPA. This doesn't even get into how hard he goes after free wallets, which is also important.

Dubas is young and will keep improving. He will also make mistakes as well (Kadri trade but who knew Barrie would be that bad) but he most of the time does well (like the Kappy trade which is robbery)

This is not even mentioning how much he cares for players like when he stayed in the hospital with Mikheyev (which goes a long way with a player and agent) after his wrist injury.

Dubas is far from the worst GM lol many many more are much worse.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Treliving, watch him fall for the Oilers running up the price for Markstrom tomorrow. Dubas is a close 2rd.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad