Worst GM in the league right now

Who is the worst GM in the league right now?

• Total voters

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
because the on ice product he built sucked, so he got high picks and it STILL sucks we know that because Ottawa was better

Well they were pretty good last year. Did the best of the 7 Canadian teams.

Coming into this year ownership handcuffed them by putting the brakes on spending, then they lost their best player for most the season.

I guess we'll see next season if they are closer to 19-20 or this past year.

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
The only cup you can argue Bowman had little to do with was the 1st.

After Tallon f***ed up the cap so bad that they basically had to turf 2/3rds of the lineup, Bowman rebuilt them into a cup winner in 2 years. For comparison's sake, it took the Penguins 7 years to rebuild around their core.

Also, Tallon gets a ton of credit for draft picks that anybody would have made. Kane and Toews were the BPA in the 1st round. He had a good pick-up with Hjalmarsson late. Keith, Seabrook, Crawford, Bolland, Byfuglien were all drafted by Smith, before Tallon.

Tallon then went on to do the same in Florida. Draft well when it came to top 1st rounders, not much else.

Now, since the last cup, Bowman has been bad and deserves to have been fired. Ultimately everything comes back to that horrific Brent Seabrook contract. Every other bad decision has been the result of scrambling to work around that mistake cap-wise and team-makeup wise.

I think you’re wrongfully hard on Tallon for no real reason. I mean, you’re actually bashing a guy for drafting well in the first round. It’s not like he’s had first overall picks the entire time. He’s had a fair number of hits in later rounds, despite not getting value for them in hindsight. The first 4 1st rounders he drafted has become the cornerstones to build around, and particularly taking Barkov 2nd overall in a year where Seth Jones was widely ranked higher than even Nathan MacKinnon, is an extremely smart move. Barkov was consistently ranked to go 4th in that draft. Jones, Drouin and MacKinnon were the consensus top 3.

as far as his time in Chicago, he added huge pieces to a core he partly drafted. Reminder, he was director of player development the year the others were drafted. A very simple thing, like not getting QOs sent out on time doesn’t sound like it’s entirely his fault, but he’s the one that had to fix it but signing players they were about to lose for higher than what he would have like to pay. Most of those players were moved out in next regime, but the core that tallon built was still heavily in place.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Holland. His resume in Edmonton is trading away Marino for nothing, swapping Lucic for Neal and trading a bunch of draft picks for AA and Green.

Marino told the oilers he WAS NOT GOING to sign with them because of how many D's they had already. They were about to lose him for nothing. He even said, he looked at the oilers D depth chart and he had himself waaay down the list. D on the oilers 25 or under who played this year. Evan Bouchard, Ethan Bear, Caleb Jones, William Lagesson and Darnell Nurse. Then you have the D that are not in the NHL yet Philip Broberg, Dmitri Samorukov, Michael Kesselring, Philip Kemp, Markus Niemelainen and a few in Europe who are about to come over.

If you go to the trade thread--I was one of the oiler fans that said the Pens just stole a player--can you post your original post where you said that?

Neal for Lucic was addition by subtraction. It has been made clear, even by Lucic that he should not have signed in Edmonton. He was cast in the wrong role and he was pissing off players in the room. The NHL f***ed the oilers with that 3rd round pick

Two 2nds for AA and then not offering him a qualifying offer will go down in history as one of the dumbest. The Green trade was made bad when he said he would not play in the play in

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
because the on ice product he built sucked, so he got high picks and it STILL sucks we know that because Ottawa was better

And why do you think Ottawa started the season 2-12-1? After the first month (February 12th), they were 21-16-4 (92 pts pace over 82 GP), which was 14th in the NHL and 3rd best in the North division

Ottawa was also negatively impacted by the GM decisions.

Dorion traded CBJ's 2nd round pick (#37th OA) for Derek Stepan, who ended up hurting the team more than helping. He also waived Rudolfs Balcers (claimed by SJ and did well for them) and Filip Chlapik (lost patience and left for Europe) in favor of Artem Anisimov (done at the NHL level) and Cedric Paquette (who really didn't want to be in Ottawa just after winning the Cup). Colin White who is not a star but a solid bottom-6 player, was healthy scrathed 4 games early in favor of a worse player.

Dorion also traded a 4th and 5th for Joshua Brown and Erik Gudbranson who were abused in the defensive zone. Having all of Brown, Gudbranson, Mike Reilly and Braydon Coburn as 4/6 of your defensive squad is a recipe for disaster to say the least...

Artem Zub, Ottawa's clear 2nd best D-man only started playing in game 10. It took even longer for Erik Brannstrom to be integrated in the lineup (although he had covid in Europe). Victor Mete, a very fast skater who is pretty decent defensively and breakout very well, only got in there after he was waived. Maybe Dorion should have gotten him earlier for cheap as he was not in Montreal plans anymore.

To their defense, they were one of the few teams who hadn't play in 10+ months, there was a 50% roster turnover and real training camp to be properly prepared for the season, but even with all that, the early roster decisions were simply bad. So "finishing below Ottawa" maybe shoudn't be your barometer for being bad. They were pretty decent once they got over their own GM sabotage and finished the season really strong once they figured how to defend on the road.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Bergevin was leading this poll when it was originally made by the OP (trying to piss off Habs fans) after signing Anderson....

Now MB may very well win GM of the Year.... Whos laughing now?

Crow anyone?
eating-crow.jpg

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
It’s good to see people finally coming around to admitting just how awful Blunder Boy in Toronto really is.
as much as I agree that Dubas doesnt seem to be getting it done..... I mean, personally, I think this one is on the players and coaching now. Toronto are stacked. And maybe they lack the shutdown, playoff grinders to make the jump, but when you have Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Hyman, Rielly, Muzzin.... what more can Dubas do, especially with a cap? Granted not having JT, Muzzin, FOligno for a few didnt help vs MTL, but Matthews and Marner should get the majority of the blame for the loss, imo. Price shut them down, but so did Danault and co.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bergevin was leading this poll when it was originally made by the OP (trying to piss off Habs fans) after signing Anderson....

Now MB may very well win GM of the Year.... Whos laughing now?

Crow anyone?
eating-crow.jpg

Has Bergevin become a good GM in the past month? What has he done in that stretch?

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Has Bergevin become a good GM in the past month? What has he done in that stretch?
he built a team thats so far got to the semi finals with his numerous transactions, not just one or two. Thats what the voters will be looking at. If they under-achieved through the last 40 or so games, that may be, but they clearly peaked at the right moment, and thats all the matters.

No I dont think theyll beat Vegas, but theyll still got passed 2 good teams.

Reactions: Dutronc

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
he built a team thats so far got to the semi finals with numerous transactions, not just one or two. Thats what the voters will be looking at.

That’s not what they should be looking at. You look at strategy, not a lucky run from a non-playoff team in a year where the Canadian border was closed.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
That’s not what they should be looking at. You look at strategy, not a lucky run from a non-playoff team in a year where the Canadian border was closed.
Like I told the other guy, you dont know that, maybe they wouldve been better for all we know, and played TB int he 1st round and get eliminated. Facts are facts, what ifs are what ifs. What if there was a cap int he playoffs? what if Tavares doesnt get injured? what if Gallagher was 100%?

ANd its not as if Toronto and WInnipeg are bad teams. TOR have one of the best offenses, and Winnipeg have arguably the best top 9 in the league and swept EDM. Even without Scheifele for 3 games, they still had: COnnor, Wheeler, Dubois, Ehlers, and Stastny, backed by last years Vezina winner and his 950 SV% vs EDM. Montreal's goaltending and D shutdown their top opposition and they deserve ALL the credit int he world for that.

The West was a worse division on paper given that they had 5 teams in the bottom 11 in GA last season. So maybe COL and VGK benefitted more than any other.

Last edited:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Who put those players together? Who hand-picked the coach (without interviewing anyone else)?
but theyre not bad players, they just under achieved/choked. I undersrtand what youre saying, but the Leafs woes arent because of lack of talent. If the top players cant elevate their game in the post season, thats on them, or poor coaching. Dubas picked the "best" players in the draft (Matthews, Marner, Rielly, Nylander) at the time.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I voted for Bergevin a couple of months ago, but I changed my vote for Benning.

Not signing Toffoli "just because" is the stupidest decision of the year, especially since Toffoli came back with a vengeance against Vancouver.

Toffoli at 4.25M$ us GREAT for any teams, and having Toffoli and Horvat on two lines for Vancouver would have been a game changer

Reactions: Dutronc

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
but theyre not bad players, they just under achieved/choked. I undersrtand what youre saying, but the Leafs woes arent because of lack of talent. If the top players cant elevate their game in the post season, thats on them, or poor coaching. Dubas picked the "best" players in the draft (Matthews, Marner, Rielly, Nylander) at the time.

Dubas didn’t draft Nylander, Reilly, Matthew’s or Marner. Weird you didn’t know that.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Leaf fan here. f*** off with this shit.

I want Dubas' name higher on the list. We are probably losing votes to Bergevin due to this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->