Worst GM in the league right now

Who is the worst GM in the league right now?

• Total voters

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Benning let Markstrom walk to the Flames, is now not only their bonafide starter, but is arguably a top 5 goalie in the league with the way he has played this year.
Benning let Tanev walk, again to the Flames, who has rounded out the defence and him and Hanifin as a pair are statistically one of the best pairings in the league.
Benning let Toffoli walk to Montreal and he has 9 goals and 13 points in 13 games for Montreal.

On the other hand Ken Holland has given McDavid, Archibald and Khara to play with (yes I know it's when he is double shifted, but come on). He has done more than nothing to add to a team with two different Hart winners, so much that they play the final 5+ minutes of games. 6 years into McDavid's career and his team is so shallow he has to play a near 6 minute shift because the rest of the team is so utterly pathetic.

Even though most of Bergevin's moves make no sense and he constantly seems to get fleeced, it's hard to hate when their team isn't actually that bad, they're quite good.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
There has been quite a few NHL teams that have wanted to give Peter Chiarelli a job also, or at the very least "talk to him".

Great points though fellas, top notch as always.

Reactions: TopChedder

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
Kyle Dubas is awesome

Signed JT, rebuilt the defense and fired that asshole Mike Babcock, put together a decent prospect pool without any high picks. He's been on the job for 2.5 years lmao

A lot of old head GMs out there who've won piss all

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
There has been quite a few NHL teams that have wanted to give Peter Chiarelli a job also, or at the very least "talk to him".

Great points though fellas, top notch as always.

Something tells me you really, really, really, really hate the Leafs and all of their fans lol

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
While I realize HF will put all kinds of asterisks (56 games, North division, blah blah blah), there's a real chance Dubas could have the team pace for best record in club history.
If he does, it would mean at all 3 levels he has been GM, his club would have set franchise records within 3 - 4 years of his arrival.
Will anyone care if that team loses their playoff round outside the north?

I dont think Dubas is the worst but I find it funny it's like Leafs fans want to be the Sharks or Caps for a decade with a tighter cap and uncertain cup odds.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I dont think Dubas is the worst but I find it funny it's like Leafs fans want to be the Sharks or Caps for a decade with a tighter cap and uncertain cup odds.

Of course they'll care. There's a reason so many non Leaf fans spend so much time talking about the Leafs while simultaneously complaining that they get talked about. There's a whole segment that spends more time talking about them than their own team.

Guess what? Fully 50% of the teams will lose the first time they play outside their division. Does that say anything about the division or is it just the basic mathematic reality? Same with every other year. I have no doubt though of how you'll sell it because it fits into paragraph 1.

I for one would be perfectly content being a top end team for many years. The goal is to win the Cup but doing so involves a lot of luck, which is why you are better to have years of legitimate shots. If Dubas does that (gives them years of legitimate shots), you can't ask for much more. It's on the players to deliver.

Out of curiosity, how do you view the Boston Bruins? No team has less Cup wins versus 100 point seasons than them. Bad model to follow or would you want to consistently have a shot?

Last edited:

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021

Who says they want that? Leafs fans are living in the now. lou was GM for the ELC years of their stars. Not every team will be Pens 2009 and Hawks.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Kyle Dubas is awesome

Signed JT, rebuilt the defense and fired that asshole Mike Babcock, put together a decent prospect pool without any high picks. He's been on the job for 2.5 years lmao

A lot of old head GMs out there who've won piss all

Tavares wanted to play for the Leafs... I'm not sure how much credit Dubas deserves for that

IMO, Dubas overpaid for just about every big signing he made... which likely cost the team 6+ million in additional cap space

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
How did Benning think his team would remain competitive by losing a top 6 RW, a top 4 D, and a starting G? Schmidt wasn’t going to compensate all those holes.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Tavares wanted to play for the Leafs... I'm not sure how much credit Dubas deserves for that

IMO, Dubas overpaid for just about every big signing he made... which likely cost the team 6+ million in additional cap space
Did he? He was seriously speaking with other teams right before July 1st.
And here's the thing, you are ignoring the MILIONS he saved in bottom 6 signings. 4.8 million COMBINED per for Spezza, Simmonds, Thornton, Bogosian and Vesey, Leo Komorov just got waived. He somehow got 4 years for 3 million per, INSANE.
The cap is about the entire roster, not just 3 or 4 players. The "Haha 4 players for 40 million" is pretty stupid and lazy narriative.
And it's silly to claim Nylander is overpaid. Only in Toronto.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Did he? He was seriously speaking with other teams right before July 1st.
And here's the thing, you are ignoring the MILIONS he saved in bottom 6 signings. 4.8 million COMBINED per for Spezza, Simmonds, Thornton, Bogosian and Vesey, Leo Komorov just got waived. He somehow got 4 years for 3 million per, INSANE.
The cap is about the entire roster, not just 3 or 4 players. The "Haha 4 players for 40 million" is pretty stupid and lazy narriative.
And it's silly to claim Nylander is overpaid. Only in Toronto.

Again, those bottom 6 guys wanted to play for Toronto...

It was Lou's fault that Nylander wasn't locked up to a long term deal a year earlier at less money... but then Dubas made that same mistake with Marner and Matthews

He then overpaid for Muzzin and Kerfoot too...

Last edited:

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021

It was Lou's fault that Nylander wasn't locked up to a long term deal a year earlier at less money... but then Dubas made that same mistake with Marner and Matthews

He then overpaid for Muzzin too...
So wait, anytime Dubas signs anyone the excuse is they wanted to play for Toronto? They want to play in Toronto beacuse of the team and the chance it has at success. Dubas has been a big part of that since 2014.

Muzzin is not overpaid at all. Freaking Joel Edmondson got 3.5 per.

Dubas has made tremendous value signings. Justin Holl signings is a complete steal.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
So wait, anytime Dubas signs anyone the excuse is they wanted to play for Toronto? They want to play in Toronto beacuse of the team and the chance it has at success. Dubas has been a big part of that since 2014.

Muzzin is not overpaid at all. Freaking Joel Edmondson got 3.5 per.

Dubas has made tremendous value signings. Justin Holl signings is a complete steal.

Sure, Holl was a good signing... Kerfoot wasn't

We'll have to agree to disagree on the rest

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Sure, Holl was a good signing... Kerfoot wasn't

We'll have to agree to disagree on the rest

Kerfoot is fine. He can be moved. If thats your worst contract you're in good shape. If you want to say Dubas could have so and so money with better signings of 3 or 4 players, you really should look at the entire roster. The bottom 6 players being overpaid is something far too many Gms do. Looks like it will cost Benning his job.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014

Thanks for the laugh. The only overpay was Marner, but now he’s top 3 in points this year. And you’re argument the bottom 6 wanted to play for Toronto is a positive not a negative, because for the last 20 years no local players actually wanted to come back and play for the leafs.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Tavares specifically credited Dubas and his presentation for convincing him to sign. It took Tavares right up to the end to decide where he wanted to play. Every GM gets credit for their moves, other than Dubas apparently.
IMO, Dubas overpaid for just about every big signing he made...
That's not remotely true. All of his big signings are consistent with recent and historical comparables.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Lou had from July 1, 2017 until April 30, 2018 which was his last day as GM to sign Nylander to a contract extension and he failed to get it done.

Kerfoot was apart of the trade for Barrie which looked good at the time, however with hindsight today it was a bad trade because of how bad Barrie played in Toronto.

The Muzzin trade was not an overpayment and Dubas didn't need to give up Sandin or Liljegren who were their more valuable prospects when the trade was made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad