Worst GM in the league right now

Who is the worst GM in the league right now?

• Total voters

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Just get stronger. They will let go of Tatar (who is a healthy scratch) and move Drouin (unless he is fit to play next season). Likely lose one of Jake Allen / Chiarot in the expansion draft.

Re-sign Danault and Armia.
Price, Petry and Weber aren’t getting any younger. The team only won 24 games in a 56 game season. Lots of close games mind you. Toffoli will never repeat what he did this year. Anderson may or may not. Next year they will be back in a division with Tampa, Florida, Boston and Toronto all gunning for spots.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Price, Petry and Weber aren’t getting any younger. The team only won 24 games in a 56 game season. Lots of close games mind you. Toffoli will never repeat what he did this year. Anderson may or may not. Next year they will be back in a division with Tampa, Florida, Boston and Toronto all gunning for spots.
The older guys turned it up in the playoffs after regaining health. Toffoli will inly get more productive with the development of the Habs young C’s. Suzuki, Romanov, KK and Caufield will only get better which will offset any drop in play from the vets.

Habs also have a plethora of picks in the draft and a bevy of prospects developing.

Habs should have cap to replace Tatar / Drouin.

Future is brighter than you care to admit!

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Dubas was given the keys to one of the most promising teams in the League and totally squandered it by botching the cap situation and leaving the team little room to improve. They need to offload a big contract and take a short term step back for the longterm future, which isn't ideal.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Benning should be like Gretzky in old hockey pools cant pick him. Give the other options a chance.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Him and Kekalainen.

Poll seems to be dominated by the loud section of Habs fans here who still aren't over the Subban trade and have this kind of Bergevin derangement syndrome. There was a poll on the Habs board and 50% wanted the Habs to lose to the Leafs if it helped get Bergevin fired. Really weird gutter crew there of Bergevin obsessed haters.
I think it's pretty evident who won the Subban trade. Didn't take Subban long to decline drastically, and while Weber has also declined, he's still a good stay at home D with a hard shot.

Reactions: Garthinater

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think when you approach this question you have to first look at the strategy for building a team. You have success in this league mostly because of strategy, not because of luck. The best built teams are the most successful, most of the time. Sometimes luck plays a part, but the first measure of a GM has to be their strategy.

When you look at strategy, two GM's who grade out really poorly are Lou and Bergevin. I know their teams have had success this season (and also last season for the Islanders), so it'll seem impossible to some that they could be bad GM's, but those teams success wasn't because they had good strategy. It was for other reasons. Lou and Bergevin have a common problem of they don't understand what wins in the current NHL. They don't know how to build a current cup winner.

Almost all the recent teams that won the Cup had the same formula. It requires a bunch of star forwards, usually including a 1C, and at least a star defensemen or two, usually including a 1D. It might include a goalie, often times its a top heavy roster. These two guys think that you build a Cup winner by accumulating middle of their career and middle of the league NHL veterans on big contracts. That is the absolute wrong strategy. Star power is what wins in this league, not depth, unless its Tampa's type of depth in great players. These two don't understand, which is why I think they are fundamentally bad GM's. It might yield the occasional good season or playoff success, but the team that wins the Stanley Cup is usually the best team in the league. You probably aren't going to luck your way into that achievement with a poorly built team.

People can criticize Dubas for a lack of results, and I don't think a GM is good just because they build a team properly, so you can criticize the guy, but that Toronto team is absolutely structured correctly with the core of the team. The answer in Toronto is not to try to be like Montreal because they lost to Montreal. You can criticize Benning for doing a lot of crazy stuff, but he has the right idea with building around players such as Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes. Those are the types of core players that lead to a Cup winner, if you have enough of them. There are more bad GM's in the league than good GM's. I think people are often too kind in assessing GM's, but you have to start with the poorly structured teams as the worst GM's. I don't know how you overlook the first step in winning a Stanley Cup.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
I think when you approach this question you have to first look at the strategy for building a team. You have success in this league mostly because of strategy, not because of luck. The best built teams are the most successful, most of the time. Sometimes luck plays a part, but the first measure of a GM has to be their strategy.

When you look at strategy, two GM's who grade out really poorly are Lou and Bergevin. I know their teams have had success this season (and also last season for the Islanders), so it'll seem impossible to some that they could be bad GM's, but those teams success wasn't because they had good strategy. It was for other reasons. Lou and Bergevin have a common problem of they don't understand what wins in the current NHL. They don't know how to build a current cup winner.

Almost all the recent teams that won the Cup had the same formula. It requires a bunch of star forwards, usually including a 1C, and at least a star defensemen or two, usually including a 1D. It might include a goalie, often times its a top heavy roster. These two guys think that you build a Cup winner by accumulating middle of their career and middle of the league NHL veterans on big contracts. That is the absolute wrong strategy. Star power is what wins in this league, not depth, unless its Tampa's type of depth in great players. These two don't understand, which is why I think they are fundamentally bad GM's. It might yield the occasional good season or playoff success, but the team that wins the Stanley Cup is usually the best team in the league. You probably aren't going to luck your way into that achievement with a poorly built team.

People can criticize Dubas for a lack of results, and I don't think a GM is good just because they build a team properly, so you can criticize the guy, but that Toronto team is absolutely structured correctly with the core of the team. The answer in Toronto is not to try to be like Montreal because they lost to Montreal. You can criticize Benning for doing a lot of crazy stuff, but he has the right idea with building around players such as Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes. Those are the types of core players that lead to a Cup winner, if you have enough of them. There are more bad GM's in the league than good GM's. I think people are often too kind in assessing GM's, but you have to start with the poorly structured teams as the worst GM's. I don't know how you overlook the first step in winning a Stanley Cup.

I really don't think there is ONE way to win the cup, and looking at recent cup winners, I really don't see them as similar teams. Having a bunch of star forward and dmen is nice, and a good start, but it is neither enough to win the cup nor the only way to do it. Just because a GM employ a different stategy than the one you prefer does not mean they are bad GM. Having a star goalie, and the good coach for your team are two things that can help your team to win (Once again, it is not enough, nor the only way to do it), for exemple.

The thing I do agree with you is that Dubad should not try and be like Montreal. Clearly, there is lacking something in Toronto. I don't know what it is (that is why I am not a GM), but if Dubas wants to prove he is a good GM, he must find it and correct it.

For Benning, sure, props to him for drafting players like Pettersson and Hughes, but clearly, he has trouble with UFA contracts, and that more than counter his good drafting IMO.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
WTF happened to Waddell, did he get a brain transplant or something?

The owner put a ton of money into one of the best analytics departments in the league. There was a 31 Thoughts piece not long after the new owner took over where Friedman explained just how involved the new owner is and how much he believes in numbers as a result of the success he had in business.

Not to say Waddell is purely a puppet, they would have let him walk to Minnesota rather than giving him a raise if they didn't think he brought anything to the table. But the bulk of the team's decisions are driven or at the very least significantly informed by their analytics department.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Stan Bowman doesn't get enough heat on these boards. He's destroyed that team. A team, by the way, built to win three cups by Tallon.

The only cup you can argue Bowman had little to do with was the 1st.

After Tallon f***ed up the cap so bad that they basically had to turf 2/3rds of the lineup, Bowman rebuilt them into a cup winner in 2 years. For comparison's sake, it took the Penguins 7 years to rebuild around their core.

Also, Tallon gets a ton of credit for draft picks that anybody would have made. Kane and Toews were the BPA in the 1st round. He had a good pick-up with Hjalmarsson late. Keith, Seabrook, Crawford, Bolland, Byfuglien were all drafted by Smith, before Tallon.

Tallon then went on to do the same in Florida. Draft well when it came to top 1st rounders, not much else.

Now, since the last cup, Bowman has been bad and deserves to have been fired. Ultimately everything comes back to that horrific Brent Seabrook contract. Every other bad decision has been the result of scrambling to work around that mistake cap-wise and team-makeup wise.

Skate2Stick

Oct 12, 2013
Not saying he’s the worst but I don’t trust Kenny Holland to be the guy who helps the oilers.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
How did some of these guys even become gm?

Dubas and Benning don't deserve a job in this league.

Benning was an assistant of the powerhouse Bruins prior to his job with the Canucks and before that a pretty good scout. He met the qualifications to at least be a GM. Dubas was a young mind with very good ideas on how to build a team and had some sort of portfolio and his plan to execute that in place.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Literally 100% of the vote should be for Benning, this shouldn't even be up for debate, the man built a team that finished below Ottawa you can't do that, not with the talent on Vancouver, you got Horvat Bosser, Pettersson, Hughes, Miller, Schmidt you can't be finishing below Ottawa there is ZERO argument for Benning to keep his job.

Last edited:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Literally 100% of the vote should be for Benning, this shouldn't even be up for debate, the man built a team that finished below Ottawa you can't do that, not with the talent on Vancouver, you got Bosser, Pettersson, Hughes, Miller, Schmidt you can't be finishing below Ottawa there is ZERO argument for Benning to keep his job.

But on the flip side, Benning's also responsible for all of the good talent you listed. :dunno:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Worse in order
1.Benning
2. Dubas
3. K.Holland
4.B.Treliving
5. Kekalainen/Poile

I want Dubas fired as bad as anybody he's not worse than Treliving or Kekalainen, especially not Kekalainen, Kekalainen has every key person in Columbus jumping ship the FIRST chance they get

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad