Worst GM in the league right now

Who is the worst GM in the league right now?

• Total voters

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Need to add Bergevin. The guy is just dreadful after years of taking a franchise nowhere. I assume he must have compromising pictures of Molson to have lasted so long. Worst by far imo.

I mean, outside of some good young players he inherited next to nothing to work with. No prospect pool, weakest centre depth in the league etc.

He hasn't been amazing by any stretch but compared to Buffalo for example he's been golden.

I'd given him a solid C. Not good enough but not bad enough to fire yet.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
So the guy who trade Subban for Weber, picks for Petry, Weise and Fleischmann for Danault and 2nd (Romanov), Pacioretty for Tatar, Suzuki and pick (Norlinder), Galchenyuk/Domi for Anderson, sign Toffoli for 4 years, 4,25 millions per year....

HE'S THE WORST GM OF THE LEAGUE?

Maybe Hfboard's is the worst FORUMS in the LIFE... that would be better option for the threads, come on, stop drugs
If we are doing so well, why did we finish in the bottom of the league...AGAIN. If its somewhere else in the organization, that is also on bergevin seeing as we don't have a president or anyone else in charge over him.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
He wins his trades. Let's talk about his contracts signing now, shall we?

Price, Alzner, Anderson, Subban. Your turn.
Even the trades are debatable. I can think of about a half dozen trades that would have been better. Keeping eller would be a lot more effective than paying 1st line money to danault(which will likely happen)
Drouin?:laugh:

Domi for a guy we don't know can even play 4th line hockey at this point(clearly dumping a problem)?

Zach Kassian Signing, trade, how many things did we do wrong with this player,

Tinordi-benched for 6 months traded for bartley who played 9 nothing games ending his NHL career and john scott for one single game as a hab then ending his career as well. Terrible 1st round pick but still in the league. Could have traded him early on for something useful.

Even his desharnais trade sucked. He traded for nothing davidson who had 23 games over 2 seasons with 3 combined assists before being waved. Keeping DD would have actually been better till the season ended. His limited offense was still better than the goose egg davidson brought.

But he wins ALL his traded i am told by the pom pom squad. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I mean, outside of some good young players he inherited next to nothing to work with. No prospect pool, weakest centre depth in the league etc.

He hasn't been amazing by any stretch but compared to Buffalo for example he's been golden.

I'd given him a solid C. Not good enough but not bad enough to fire yet.

So a Norris D man,
A top 5 league wide winger who would become our captain,
a compliance buy out,
a 70+ point center in pleks,
a 60 point DD,
eller, gally, a 3rd OA pick
Best goalie in the world who he is still relying on!
A rejuvenated markov that still managed to put up 30 in 48 games, then 43, 50, 44 points and even 36 points in 62 games his final season with the habs.
Cole 35 goals and 61 points in 2012
Gionta also a captain.

Yeah thats a pretty terrible way to start out as a GM. Especially when they had went to the ECF in 2010 just 2 years before he got the team and went again in 2014 just 2 years after getting this next to nothing team he inherited.

I guess taking a team that managed 2 ECF in 4 years then not making the playoffs 4 of 5 years and not winning a playoff series going on 7 season is GOLDEN. Pretty low bar.

Last edited:

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
So a Norris D man,
A top 5 league wide winger who would become our captain,
a compliance buy out,
a 70+ point center in pleks,
a 60 point DD,
eller, gally, a 3rd OA pick
Best goalie in the world who he is still relying on!
A rejuvenated markov that still managed to put up 30 in 48 games, then 43, 50, 44 points and even 36 points in 62 games his final season with the habs.
Cole 35 goals and 61 points in 2012
Gionta also a captain.

Yeah thats a pretty terrible way to start out as a GM. Especially when they had went to the ECF in 2010 just 2 years before he got the team and went again in 2014 just 2 years after getting this next to nothing team he inherited.

Great, every team had that.

He had no prospects, no superstars, no true assests outside of those guys.

His failing was riding a weak core too far.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Great, every team had that.

He had no prospects, no superstars, no true assests outside of those guys.

His failing was riding a weak core too far.
The weak core that twice went to an ECF that he turned into mangled hamburger? That never won squat after that, with 3 bottom 10 finishes in 5 years? Oh yeah lets blame that on a decade ago drafts. I guess the genuis in charge who could have hired any number of scouts, or fired the one that had let us down, just couldn't find a single decent player in the last 9 drafts that he didn't trade away. Must be Gauthiers fault, or Gaineys? Maybe Andre Savard?

Maybe he trades Beauleau, Tinordi and Chuck before he ruins them with Toenails and Sly, You know the head coaches he hand selected that destroyed our development for 6 years. Perhaps instead of hiring child hood friend JJ dingdong he tries calling back Larry freaking Robinson. Hate to have a Stanley cup winning player and coach working behind the bench who wanted to coach our D. Nope nepotism to the rescue. Maybe if Larrys last name was Robillard he might have got a shot behind the bench.

You can pretend he has done a good job with the last 2 years, but to pretend he was good the first 7 is stunningly deceptive.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
The weak core that twice went to an ECF that he turned into mangled hamburger? That never won squat after that, with 3 bottom 10 finishes in 5 years? Oh yeah lets blame that on a decade ago drafts. I guess the genuis in charge who could have hired any number of scouts, or fired the one that had let us down, just couldn't find a single decent player in the last 9 drafts that he didn't trade away. Must be Gauthiers fault, or Gaineys? Maybe Andre Savard?

Maybe he trades Beauleau, Tinordi and Chuck before he ruins them with Toenails and Sly, You know the head coaches he hand selected that destroyed our development for 6 years. Perhaps instead of hiring child hood friend JJ dingdong he tries calling back Larry freaking Robinson. Hate to have a Stanley cup winning player and coach working behind the bench who wanted to coach our D. Nope nepotism to the rescue. Maybe if Larrys last name was Robillard he might have got a shot behind the bench.

You can pretend he has done a good job with the last 2 years, but to pretend he was good the first 7 is stunningly deceptive.

I mean, I never said he was good. I listed him as a C, average at best.

Yes, the personal he hired/ refused to fire is entirely on him. Nobody is disputing that.

His first few years, he had nobody coming up for prospects. Its not like now, our best prospects from his first few years would be 9th or 10th on this year's list.

We had good runs, the team was good. Plek was a 70pt, defensively responsible centre at his peak. Im not saying those teams were bad by any stretch of the imagination, Im saying that they just became mediocre.

We became pretty much what the Flames are now.

There was a time to ride that core, there was a time to realize that it wasnt a winner and move on and rebuild. MB waited too long and rode that core past its 2011 run.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
A lot of the true "worst GM's" have been fired in the past year or two (Chiarelli, Fenton, Botterill, Tallon, etc.) and like 1/3 of these GM's have been in charge for a short period of time so it is somewhat hard to evaluate whether they are "good" or not, especially when a lot of their success/failures are inherited from the previous regime.

That being said, Dubas is not even close to the worst. He's maybe mid-tier right now, but could easily go up or down based on what he does in the next few years. I can name 3 Canadian GM's worse than him right now, and can probably pick a handful of American team GM's as well, out of the guys I can realistically evaluate (i.e. not Bill Zito, Kevyn Adams, Bill Guerin, etc.).

I voted Bergevin only because it seems like he has survived a lot longer than he should have at this point, but if this was like a year ago, he would not have even been in my top 5. The guys I listed above would have been in my top 5.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Guerin looks like the worst right now, but that could easily turn around when Kaprizov and Rossi are on the team full time. I'd vote either Bergevin or Bowman after. Berg because he's way past his best before date and Bowman has actually been awful since the Hawks last cup.

barbu

Jan 9, 2019
Botteril got fired before I could vote for him. So it's a final three between Dubas, Bennings and Bergevin and Bennings is the winner. His team being saved by stellar drafting and development.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The pick ups by Bergevin this off season are all paying off early on. Toffoli 3 goals, Anderson 2 goals, Allen 1-0, Romanov looking like a future #1D, I may be missing a few players. Wonder how this poll will look like if this season continues like this for the Habs. It is still early though.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
The pick ups by Bergevin this off season are all paying off early on. Toffoli 3 goals, Anderson 2 goals, Allen 1-0, Romanov looking like a future #1D, I may be missing a few players. Wonder how this poll will look like if this season continues like this for the Habs. It is still early though.

Edmunston 1a +6 in 4 games mainly against Mcdavid and Peterson.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Not a big fan of what Rutherford and Wilson have done LATELY, so based my vote on that. Also not a fan of Lou losing a 1st pairing defender to hold on to Cal Clutterbuck but we will wait to see how that one ages.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Not a big fan of what Rutherford and Wilson have done LATELY, so based my vote on that. Also not a fan of Lou losing a 1st pairing defender to hold on to Cal Clutterbuck but we will wait to see how that one ages.

Lous not an option. Also, he didn’t get rid of Toews because of Clutterbuck. He needed to re-sign Barzal and create space. The isles are comfortable with their defensive depth.

Toews is very good but he’s been injury prone and inconsistent. Doesn’t mean he won’t start to get more consistency in his game. There’s a reason why he’s almost 27 and only has 2 NHL seasons under his belt. In a perfect world the isles would have loved to keep him but they aren’t losing sleep over it.

Toews is a legit top4 defenseman. I wouldn’t call him a top2 top pairing guy just yet. He can certainly play on the top pair but it would
Require him having a strong defense partner.

You seem to have an agenda here. It’s all good though.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lous not an option. Also, he didn’t get rid of Toews because of Clutterbuck. He needed to re-sign Barzal and create space. The isles are comfortable with their defensive depth.

Toews is very good but he’s been injury prone and inconsistent. Doesn’t mean he won’t start to get more consistency in his game. There’s a reason why he’s almost 27 and only has 2 NHL seasons under his belt. In a perfect world the isles would have loved to keep him but they aren’t losing sleep over it.

Toews is a legit top4 defenseman. I wouldn’t call him a top2 top pairing guy just yet. He can certainly play on the top pair but it would

Lou's last 3 seasons, have been 105 pts, 103 pts, and 3 post season playoffs series wins last year. I don't think his name will come up anytime soon as worst GM in the NHL, not when he was just named the GM of the year last season due to a roster move for a player he would be required to protect in the expansion draft for 2, 2nd rd picks while having a young D man like Dobson to fill the role in the organization. Not when he got Barzal for 7M or Greene at 700K.

Right now, Bergevin's moves also look good. It is early, but it doesn't look like he belongs as the #1 choice as worst GM. Some of the other guys getting votes here may be vying for that position.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

I really love Toews and to be honest I am a little salty my GM didn't try to make a deal. My GM is no Joe Sakic :(

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
A lot of the true "worst GM's" have been fired in the past year or two (Chiarelli, Fenton, Botterill, Tallon, etc.) and like 1/3 of these GM's have been in charge for a short period of time so it is somewhat hard to evaluate whether they are "good" or not, especially when a lot of their success/failures are inherited from the previous regime.

That being said, Dubas is not even close to the worst. He's maybe mid-tier right now, but could easily go up or down based on what he does in the next few years. I can name 3 Canadian GM's worse than him right now, and can probably pick a handful of American team GM's as well, out of the guys I can realistically evaluate (i.e. not Bill Zito, Kevyn Adams, Bill Guerin, etc.).

I voted Bergevin only because it seems like he has survived a lot longer than he should have at this point, but if this was like a year ago, he would not have even been in my top 5. The guys I listed above would have been in my top 5.

Dubas has single-handidly closed off any real chance of contention with your core group of players unless the cap jumps significantly in the next 5-10 years.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Benning pick looking solid. Nucks have given up TWENTY EIGHT goals already. there are seven teams who have given up 7 or less.

thatcher Demko is probably the worst goalie in the NHL right now, and he is supposed to replace the best goalie the nucks have had since Luongo?

has anyone seen petersson this year? good job this team has about 12 mil committed to Eriksson/Beagle/Roussel. what a waste that would have been to keep Markstrom/Toffoli/Tanev lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad