Worst GM in the league right now

Who is the worst GM in the league right now?

• Total voters

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
it was a shit trade. let's move on. Bergevin is not the worst GM in the league and the fact he's last here, shows poster are either clueless or blind haters.
The Weber trade looks fine now. He stole Domi. Stole Danault. Stole Suzuki etc...
He win's 90% of his trades and yet here we are, discussing drouin. Let's discuss Dubas. What say you?

He wins his trades. Let's talk about his contracts signing now, shall we?

Price, Alzner, Anderson, Subban. Your turn.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Holland. His resume in Edmonton is trading away Marino for nothing, swapping Lucic for Neal and trading a bunch of draft picks for AA and Green.

The marino trade has been beaten to death. He told the oilers he was not going to sign there. What do want to bitch about, getting a pick or losing a player for nothing ? Those were Hollands two options.

Where is your post saying how great Marino was going to be? Several oiler fans posted the Pens made out like bandits when the trade happen

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
He wins his trades. Let's talk about his contracts signing now, shall we?

Price, Alzner, Anderson, Subban. Your turn.
Alzner was bad. Anderson is on par with what he is. Price is overpaid. Subban overpaid, but not habs problem. Weber is not overpaid. Again, every GM has made mistakes. Your Shaw complaint doesn't work either considering, what he got back for him from chicago. did you forget that? If contracts are your issue, there are NUMEROUS GM's worse than bergevin. Again, i'm not a huge fan, but you clearly have an axe to grind

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Alzner was bad. Anderson is on par with what he is. Price is overpaid. Subban overpaid, but not habs problem. Weber is not overpaid. Again, every GM has made mistakes. Your Shaw complaint doesn't work either considering, what he got back for him from chicago. did you forget that? If contracts are your issue, there are NUMEROUS GM's worse than bergevin. Again, i'm not a huge fan, but you clearly have an axe to grind

Anderson is paid correctly, but GODDAMN that term tho. And that NTC too. This, is just absolutly brutal. He's paid more millions that he had points last year.

Weber wasn't signed by Bergevin. Subban was. He was lucky Poile wanted to get him. It was his Hail Mary.

Andrew Shaw: It most certainly works lol
It works when you want to judge Bergevin's body of work, and it most certainly works when you know who was drafted with those picks.
Did you forget about them??

Bergevin might be the worst at signing things. And yeah, I have an axe to grind. I want my Habs to win. Not to be a mediocre team, who are hard-pressed to make the playoffs. It took a f***ing pandemy for us to make the playoffs last year. Are you a Habs fan, or a Bergevin's fan, bro?
Because as of right now, Bergevin lead the team absolutly nowhere.
He was probably forced to fire all of his friends, on top of that. All the Therrien, Lefebvre, etc.

We'll see next year. But AS OF RIGHT NOW, with the almost 10 years Bergevin was the GM, he's one of the worst GM of the league, easily.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Anderson is paid correctly, but GODDAMN that term tho. And that NTC too. This, is just absolutly brutal. He's paid more millions that he had points last year.

Weber wasn't signed by Bergevin. Subban was. He was lucky Poile wanted to get him. It was his Hail Mary.

Andrew Shaw: It most certainly works lol
It works when you want to judge Bergevin's body of work, and it most certainly works when you know who was drafted with those picks.
Did you forget about them??

Bergevin might be the worst at signing things. And yeah, I have an axe to grind. I want my Habs to win. Not to be a mediocre team, who are hard-pressed to make the playoffs. It took a f***ing pandemy for us to make the playoffs last year. Are you a Habs fan, or a Bergevin's fan, bro?
Because as of right now, Bergevin lead the team absolutly nowhere.
He was probably forced to fire all of his friends, on top of that. All the Therrien, Lefebvre, etc.

We'll see next year. But AS OF RIGHT NOW, with the almost 10 years Bergevin was the GM, he's one of the worst GM of the league, easily.
i can't believe i'm the one defending bergevin. I have issues with the guy, but your judgement is so clouded, you can't even address the fact he's learned from his mistakes and thus = still bad. How can you dismiss his good moves as 'hail marys"? that's absurd. i mentioned shaw ONLY because it was a trade you chose to cherry pick and revealed he got back almost equal value for a guy who is most certainly damaged goods. And yes, you certainly have an axe to grind and read like it too.
I Never said i was a fanboy. what i said is that he's learned from his mistakes in the last two years. There are 30 other GM's who don't win or who have never won. He's nowhere near the worst.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
i can't believe i'm the one defending bergevin. I have issues with the guy, but your judgement is so clouded, you can't even address the fact he's learned from his mistakes and thus = still bad. How can you dismiss his good moves as 'hail marys"? that's absurd. i mentioned shaw ONLY because it was a trade you chose to cherry pick and revealed he got back almost equal value for a guy who is most certainly damaged goods. And yes, you certainly have an axe to grind and read like it too.
I Never said i was a fanboy. what i said is that he's learned from his mistakes in the last two years. There are 30 other GM's who don't win or who have never won. He's nowhere near the worst.

He's at the bottom. His body of work speaks of itself.
Yeah he corrected wrong, and that's fine. But shit, he did those wrongs in the first place.
We've gone NOWHERE in the past 8 years, and that's a cold, hard fact.

Deal with it.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Jim Benning is putting on a show right now by taking his team from being one goal away from WCF to a likely bottom-10 finish in a hurry.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
Hard to be a worse GM than Bowman.

Scotty B - GOAT coach
Stan B - terrible GM.

That Seabrook deal is the definition of an anchor contract. An anchor that holds the team right in the path of bad tornado.

The NMC’s too ‍*facepalm*

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Don't GM of the year candidates make moves like the ones Dubas is making right now.

If Leafs have somewhat of a successful season, he will be a candidate for sure.
I'm not sure Dubas is making GM of the year caliber moves, but I find it hard to believe people really think he's the worst GM in the league. I don't see much of a case for it

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Don't GM of the year candidates make moves like the ones Dubas is making right now.

If Leafs have somewhat of a successful season, he will be a candidate for sure.
Historically GM of the year candidates are from teams who make the Conference Finals. It's why Joe Sakic who should have won the award and did not since Colorado got eliminated in the second round and was not a finalist and why Lou Lamoriello won it this year.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
I think he still does it. Bergevin was looking for a superstar, and since Drouin played (rarely) at center, he wanted to knock two birds with one rock, I think.
And obviously, he was so wrong.
I don't understand why people think this trade was so lopsided. I'd rather have Sergachev but the difference between the two isn't huge like people make it sound.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I don't understand why people think this trade was so lopsided. I'd rather have Sergachev but the difference between the two isn't huge like people make it sound.

In vacuum, right now, Sergatchev is better.
But it's not just that. When the trade happened, we had two needs: a center, and a good PMD LHD. We got the second with Sergatchev. But then, Bergevin trade him to solve the center problem.
At the end of the day, Suzuki fell in our hands, we got Kotkanieni, and we got Romanov, so evertything's fine now (plus, I'm really curious to see what Drouin can do with Suzuki).

But at that time, that move set us back, because Drouin was not able to fill in as a center.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
My top ones:

Benning - Seems to me that a lot of his success is based on luck. EP and Hughes exceeded expectations, without them being as great as they are Vancouver would be known only for bad contracts and mediocre results.

Dubas - Brodie changes a lot but those holes were there 2 years ago and are just now being patched. Not seeing Toronto as a better team because of him.

Rutherford - The no win trades just keep happening.

Jarmo - not on the level of the same two but negotiations with him just don't seem to go well, it's like it gets personal too often.

Treliving - Two years ago Calgary was success based off of career years by a few players including a dman in his mid/late 30s. Bought into his own success, didn't evaluate weaknesses and try to improve. Team has gotten worse since then, same weaknesses exist.
Need to add Bergevin. The guy is just dreadful after years of taking a franchise nowhere. I assume he must have compromising pictures of Molson to have lasted so long. Worst by far imo.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s telling how many of the top choices run Canadian teams. Which partly explains imo why a Canadian team hasn’t won a Cup in so long and none of them look like top contenders.
I think many tend to micro analyze individual moves whereas I think it’s better to look at overall team success and direction.
I’d put Bergevin at the bottom of the list as he’s the longest tenured and has his team mostly spinning its wheels and caught in the middle ground of not being bad enough to get a good pick but not good enough to contend.
Dubas has struggled too imo but I think he needs to be given more time to see if he can learn from his mistakes.
As a Canuck fan I don’t rank Benning highly but he has hit on a lot of good moves that set the team up nicely for the future. They have the key pieces but need to get rid of the bad contracts and fill out the roster. I’m not confident that he’s the right guy to do that.
Rutherford, Treleving and Holland also are in the mix for worst and Sweeney of Boston seems to be heading in that direction too unless he makes some moves this off season to improve the team.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Surprised not more votes for Bowman.

I get they’ve had cap issues since the cups but all he had to was fill in around franchise players in their prime and he failed.

They seem to be on the come up slightly, but I don’t like the moves he’s made and he lucked into Dach.

Bumping myself after Saad trade.

Guy is underrated bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad