Worst GM in the league right now

Who is the worst GM in the league right now?

• Total voters

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Dubas has single-handidly closed off any real chance of contention with your core group of players unless the cap jumps significantly in the next 5-10 years.

so all of a sudden the leafs (favorites to win the North) have seen their contention window close?

Matthews - 23
Marner - 23
Nylander - 24

dumb comment. do better

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
so all of a sudden the leafs (favorites to win the North) have seen their contention window close?

Matthews - 23
Marner - 23
Nylander - 24

dumb comment. do better

Age is irrelevant here. It's a little difficult to win a cup with 4 of your top forwards taking up 50% of the cap space. You guys don't even have a real #1 defensemen (Rielly is more of a #2 guy regardless of what you guys think). Every year, the playoffs show that you need strong depth to go far. When your top guys are getting difficult matchups, its your 3rd and 4th line players that step up and score those key goals, which really tips a series in your favor. Had Dubas negotiated those contracts correctly, he probably would have an extra 8M to spend.

Last edited:
Reactions: TS Quint

Evergreen

Surprised to see votes for Bergevin. I think his moves this summer were great and Montreal looks to be nicely revamped this season.

Reactions: WiscoJet

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Surprised to see votes for Bergevin. I think his moves this summer were great and Montreal looks to be nicely revamped this season.
I was surprised also that he won the poll before the season. Toffoli scored 2 more goals last night for 5 on the year, Anderson also scored making it 3 on the year. More than that, Montreal are looking like an interesting team this year. His additions are paying off early. Suzuki was a major addition by Bergevin via trade also. He's done a competent job. I don't see how he is the worse GM here.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
a roster move for a player he would be required to protect in the expansion draft for 2, 2nd rd picks while having a young D man like Dobson to fill the role in the organization. Not when he got Barzal for 7M or Greene at 700K.
He lost one of his better young defensemen because of bad planning and wasted money, and he was forced to bridge Barzal and walk Pulock straight to UFA, even despite being saved by 6m retiring off the roster. Greene has 2m in easily achievable performance bonuses on top of that 700k, for a #6 defenseman. Etc. You left out quite a bit in your description, as usual.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He lost one of his better young defensemen because of bad planning and wasted money, and he was forced to bridge Barzal and walk Pulock straight to UFA, even despite being saved by 6m retiring off the roster. Greene has 2m in easily achievable performance bonuses on top of that 700k, for a #6 defenseman. Etc. You left out quite a bit in your description, as usual.
Toews is 27 in a month, not sure young Defenceman is accurate. He signed 2 RFA's to reasonable deals that are better than by inexperienced GM's, instead of locking them into unreasonable contracts that restrict building quality depth on a contender. The Isles team wins on depth. Not one cap hit over 7M per. When their contacts end, the Isles will still hold their rights. This is good Mgt. Greene is listed as a 700K cap hit, like other players he has bonuses, even if he hits them, they are worth it for a 1 year 2nd pairing D man to mentor Dobson. Thus far it is working. The Results speak for themselves.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
was posted right after the Anderson signing back in October (before signing Toffoli)

just classic HFers and their reaction, a Habs bashing of sorts

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Imagine going back two years and telling people that Dubas would have 5x the votes as Dorion.
Dorion hasnt done anything except suck and get high picks..... bravo.

Lucked out with SJ having a bad season last year. Nothing of his doing.

couldve/shouldve had Makar too

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010

Matthews - 23
Marner - 23
Nylander - 24

dumb comment. do better

All on stupid contracts that make UFA at such a young age, that to re-signing them would cost even more than their current cap hit as its all UFA years.

Rielly is on one of those contracts, he'll be a pending UFA, mid 20's, going to cost a lot.

Leafs fan want to only count Dubas years as GM, but he always been Shanahan golden boy as Ast GM, so he be on this since 2014.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He signed 2 RFA's to reasonable deals that are better than by inexperienced GM's
The RFA deals aren't anything special for the term he was forced to give due to his other bad moves.
The Isles team wins on depth.
No, they don't. They win primarily because of their on-roster defensemen and goaltending. Lou hasn't really done anything to improve their defense (actually traded away one of their better defensemen), and while he did initially improve their goaltending, he's made some questionable moves since; letting Lehner walk to sign a worse, older goalie for the same amount, and letting Sorokin cancel out his ELC.
When their contacts end, the Isles will still hold their rights.
Actually, he walked Pulock directly to UFA. He did the same to Nelson a couple years ago.
Greene is listed as a 700K cap hit, like other players he has bonuses, even if he hits them, they are worth it for a 1 year 2nd pairing D man to mentor Dobson.
Performance bonuses are actually quite rare. They can only be given to limited players, like 38 year old Greene, who is not playing 2nd pairing minutes at all. Barring massive injury, Greene will make 2.7m this year. All Lou did was push the problem down the road, like usual.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The RFA deals aren't anything special for the term he was forced to give due to his other bad moves.

No, they don't. They win primarily because of their on-roster defensemen and goaltending. Lou hasn't really done anything to improve their defense (actually traded away one of their better defensemen), and while he did initially improve their goaltending, he's made some questionable moves since; letting Lehner walk to sign a worse, older goalie for the same amount, and letting Sorokin cancel out his ELC.

Actually, he walked Pulock directly to UFA. He did the same to Nelson a couple years ago.

Performance bonuses are actually quite rare. They can only be given to limited players, like 38 year old Greene, who is not playing 2nd pairing minutes at all. Barring massive injury, Greene will make 2.7m this year. All Lou did was push the problem down the road, like usual.
Well atleast you stopped calling Toews a young defenceman. Glad to help.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Now that we've had a chance to see some games it's Rutherford AINEC. That defense is fatally bad and he may have made the entire team much worse in an offseason where he was gonna burn the boats for the last cup runs of Crosby/Malkin.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
He overpaid Nylander by 1M, Marner by 2.5M, Matthews by 2.5M, and Tavares by 2M. Thats 8M.

so you think UFA Tavares, who turned down more from San Jose to sign in Toronto as a free agent, is taking 9 million.

you think Auston Matthews is taking a little over 9 million.

and you think Marner is taking a little over 8 million coming off a 94 point season.

you are dreaming in technicolour my friend. with dolby surround.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
so you think UFA Tavares, who turned down more from San Jose to sign in Toronto as a free agent, is taking 9 million.

and you think Marner is taking a little over 8 million coming off a 94 point season.

Let me reframe this for you: if these players were as good as they thought they were, why are they having so much trouble winning a series? Why is Nick Foligno and company dominating these guys?

Lets take a basic comparison. STL extended Brayden Schenn contract's for 6.5M after putting up an average 0.8 ppg over 2 seasons. He also forechecks, backchecks, hits, and plays good defense. He's exactly a playoff type player.

Compare that to Marner who is getting paid 10.8M after averaging 0.92 ppg over 3 seasons.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Whatever, SJ may or may not have offered is irrelevant. If Dubas was going to commit 11M to the team's long range window to Tavares, where a D man would have been better suited. He should have not negotiated himself into a cap crunch as he is now. He had to put Spezza and Dell on waivers just to ice a line up this week. This is not good management, it was all self made. Matthews only signed for 5 years and had the best contract in the NHL for a player coming off his ELC. Marner was a total disaster given what other comparable players were signed for. Nylander was signed for more than Pastranak and Ehlers for what they were signed for. Leafs technically did not make the playoffs last year. I don't know if this makes Dubas the worst GM in the NHL, but he is up there in the 3 worst unless he turns it around this season. There are no more excuses, the North Division is probably the weakest in the NHL, if he cannot win 2 rds this year, how else would one look at his moves as a GM? Not to mention his misreads on players, Barrie, Ceci, Sparks, then Hutchinson. The players he has added is there one that really has stood out, atleast for Bergevin, his has.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Let me reframe this for you: if these players were as good as they thought they were, why are they having so much trouble winning a series? Why is Nick Foligno and company dominating these guys?

Lets take a basic comparison. STL extended Brayden Schenn contract's for 6.5M after putting up an average 0.8 ppg over 2 seasons. He also forechecks, backchecks, hits, and plays good defense. He's exactly a playoff type player.

Compare that to Marner who is getting paid 10.8M after averaging 0.92 ppg over 3 seasons.

Dubas isn't even close to the best GM, but is he really the worst? Brought in Muzzin, Brodie, flipped Kap for Hallander and 15th overall, draft Roberston and Sandin who both look to be great value picks so far. His drafting in general is looking quite good.

It's really hard for me to see him as the worst. The contracts - well, he overpaid Marner by 1.5 (based on Rants) and Matthews deal is too short. Nylander seems about right, Muzzin seems about right.

Are we really saying he worse than someone who signed Karlsson to his deal, and traded away a lotto pick? What about the guy that signed Myers to that awful contract? Is overpaying your stars by a couple million really worse, in your mind, to overpaying a #5 defenceman by 4 million (no to mention a couple other contracts).

I have to admit, Dubas hasn't become the top 5 executive I thought he would be - you guys got me. However, worst in the league because he overpaid a 95pt early 20's winger is a streeeetch.

Consider the absolutely bare cupboard for prospects he was left by Lou and Hunter. Why is that never taken into account? What about that hilariously bad Marleau contract? Or that he inherited the worst goaltending tandem in the NHL? (maybe a stretch, but it is now).

The worst evidence I've seen used is "he inherited a 105 pt team". Ya, with their 3 best players all on ELC deals. Would those teams really have been as good if they weren't paying the joke ELC rate to their 3 best players? Definitely not.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Dubas isn't even close to the best GM, but is he really the worst? Brought in Muzzin, Brodie, flipped Kap for Hallander and 15th overall, draft Roberston and Sandin who both look to be great value picks so far. His drafting in general is looking quite good.

It's really hard for me to see him as the worst. The contracts - well, he overpaid Marner by 1.5 (based on Rants) and Matthews deal is too short. Nylander seems about right, Muzzin seems about right.

Are we really saying he worse than someone who signed Karlsson to his deal, and traded away a lotto pick? What about the guy that signed Myers to that awful contract? Is overpaying your stars by a couple million really worse, in your mind, to overpaying a #5 defenceman by 4 million (no to mention a couple other contracts).

I have to admit, Dubas hasn't become the top 5 executive I thought he would be - you guys got me. However, worst in the league because he overpaid a 95pt early 20's winger is a streeeetch.

Consider the absolutely bare cupboard for prospects he was left by Lou and Hunter. Why is that never taken into account? What about that hilariously bad Marleau contract? Or that he inherited the worst goaltending tandem in the NHL? (maybe a stretch, but it is now).

I never said Dubas was the absolute worst, but I was originally responding to someone who said that he was "middle of the pack" for GMs, which is ridiculous. As a GM in Toronto, there is never not a reason to spend all the way up to the cap. I also know that if Matthews and Marner were in St. Louis, they would never have gotten more than 10M.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017

The worst evidence I've seen used is "he inherited a 105 pt team". Ya, with their 3 best players all on ELC deals. Would those teams really have been as good if they weren't paying the joke ELC rate to their 3 best players? Definitely not.

There's no tandem in the NHL worse than Subban/Delia.

AINEC

Reactions: Critical91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad