Worst GM in the league right now

Who is the worst GM in the league right now?

• Total voters

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
It's very easy - just look through the Simmonds and Toronto speculation threads before Simmonds signed, and you'll see a lot of people saying bad things. Here are some comments from just Leafs fans:

I can find plenty more if you'd like. It's very easy to say bad things about signing Simmonds at $1.5M given that he's been very bad over the past few years and a very sizeable portion of your own fan base was saying a lot of these bad things before he was signed.
So it's bad because a bunch of people on HF Board say it's bad? This is like the biggest anti-Leaf board out there.
Capfriendly while discussing the signing has a Good Signing Vote 56 to 27 saying it bad...
Its not a bad signing. if it had term it would be bad, this is more than manageable. just bury him if hes that bad lol

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Benning is a good GM overall.

Letting a broken down Tanev go isn't that big a deal tbh

Markstrom was amazing this year but before the season nobody thought that highly of him. Better to let him go imo. They will be more than ok with Demko/Holtby

I agree the entire Toffoli thing was mishandled though

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
Benning is a good GM overall.

Letting a broken down Tanev go isn't that big a deal tbh

Markstrom was amazing this year but before the season nobody thought that highly of him. Better to let him go imo. They will be more than ok with Demko/Holtby

I agree the entire Toffoli thing was mishandled though
So many bad signings from past years this has been good for him.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Bergevin LOL is NOT the worst GM, he's a middle of the pack GM

Rutherford and Poile have been terrible lately

Reactions: 7even

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Dubas how?

First he has been on the job only a few years.

He came into a situation where dumb dumb hunter and many people before him NEVER drafted well or ever targeted defense.

Also who is to say anybody would have signed Matty or Mitch for less? Who was getting JT for less? Yes he should have played harder ball, and JT was prob not needed, but good GM's go out and get premier free agents. Again he is young and I am sure he will learn (look at the rest of his contracts with mid tier players and you will see they are reasonable) and many GM's sell the farm on shit players.

Finally his drafting. Say what you will on the makeup of the team but he gets great value picks (not perfect) but solid. He drafts for BPA. This doesn't even get into how hard he goes after free wallets, which is also important.

Dubas is young and will keep improving. He will also make mistakes as well (Kadri trade but who knew Barrie would be that bad) but he most of the time does well (like the Kappy trade which is robbery)

This is not even mentioning how much he cares for players like when he stayed in the hospital with Mikheyev (which goes a long way with a player and agent) after his wrist injury.

Dubas is far from the worst GM lol many many more are much worse.

because its the leafs. you could literally post a matthews vs bonino thread and 20-25% would choose bonino and talk about salary cap etc

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
The horror of Dubas giving Wayne Simmonds 1 year at $1.5 million, Zach Bogosian 1 year at $1 million, and Jimmy Vesey 1 year at $900,000 how will we live with ourselves. Oh wait I forgot he also signed TJ Brodie to a 4 year contract worth $5 million who isn't scraps.

Now if you want to talk about scraps isn't that what Ken Holland did when he signed Tyson Barrie for 1 year at $3.75 million or is Barrie better because he's no longer a Maple Leaf?
I think most people would rather have Barrie @ 3.75 million than Brodie, Bogosian, Simmonds, and Vesey @ 8.4 million.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think most people would rather have Barrie @ 3.75 million than Brodie, Bogosian, Simmonds, and Vesey @ 8.4 million.
During the 2019-20 season all we heard was how horrible Barrie was and why did Dubas traded Nazem Kadri for him. However since he's no longer a Toronto Maple Leaf that's not the case anymore. It reminds me of the bashing Phil Kessel got during his time in Toronto and that stopped the moment he was traded to Pittsburgh.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Benning deserves to be up there

Out: Markstrom, Toffoli, Tanev, Stecher
In: Holtby

and Eriksson,Sutter,Beagle are still on the team for a 13.5 cap hit....

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
So the guy who trade Subban for Weber, picks for Petry, Weise and Fleischmann for Danault and 2nd (Romanov), Pacioretty for Tatar, Suzuki and pick (Norlinder), Galchenyuk/Domi for Anderson, sign Toffoli for 4 years, 4,25 millions per year....

HE'S THE WORST GM OF THE LEAGUE?

Maybe Hfboard's is the worst FORUMS in the LIFE... that would be better option for the threads, come on, stop drugs

Signed Carey Price to one of the worst contract in the league;
Try the Bridge Contract with PK Subban just before his Norris and then his career year;
Sergatchev for Drouin;
Choosing to be an asshole to Markov, then go out to sign Alzner (with everything implied with him);
Loosing Radulov for nothing;
Anderson's contract;
Shaw for 2 x 2nd;
Ott and freaking Dwight King come playoffs time,
Domi for Anderson (Domi > Anderson, in vacuum. In we throw in a pick, on top of that??);
etc.

Yeah, he's not great, thank you very much.

The ONLY thing in which Bergevin is good, when it comes to his job, is in trading.
Contract signing, and drafting, he's terrible.

But I must admit, I didn't saw coming the Toffoli signing. I will have to revise my list.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Try the Bridge Contract with PK Subban just before his Norris and then his career year;
Sergatchev for Drouin;
Choosing to be an asshole to Markov, then go out to sign Alzner (with everything implied with him);
Anderson's contract;
Shaw for 2 x 2nd;
Domi for Anderson (Domi > Anderson, in vacuum. In we throw in a pick, on top of that??);
etc.

The ONLY thing in which Bergevin is good, when it comes to his job, is in trading.

But I must admit, I didn't saw coming the Toffoli signing. I will have to revise my list.
he's not the worst. not even close. you should sit this one out.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Sergatchev for Drouin;
Anderson's contract;
Shaw for 2 x 2nd;
etc.

If Droiun wasn't from Quebec does Bergevin even trade Sergachev for him?

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
During the 2019-20 season all we heard was how horrible Barrie was and why did Dubas traded Nazem Kadri for him. However since he's no longer a Toronto Maple Leaf that's not the case anymore. It reminds me of the bashing Phil Kessel got during his time in Toronto and that stopped the moment he was traded to Pittsburgh.
You're literally the last dude on this site who can criticize anyone for changing their tune on a player after he switches teams.

For the record, Oiler fans know what to expect from Barrie. Believe it or not, not every fan base lives in a bubble like some.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
If Droiun wasn't from Quebec does Bergevin even trade Sergachev for him?
why are we discussing one trade? other gm's haven't made bad trades? poile dealing Seth Jones. Dubas with what? 45 mill tied up in 4 forwards? Saad for panarin? I can go on and on

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You're literally the last dude on this site who can criticize anyone for changing their tune on a player after he switches teams.

For the record, Oiler fans know what to expect from Barrie. Believe it or not, not every fan base lives in a bubble like some.
In my 10+ years on here I have noticed the opinion of Leafs players seem to change once they are traded or leave Toronto as UFA's.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Don't GM of the year candidates make moves like the ones Dubas is making right now.

If Leafs have somewhat of a successful season, he will be a candidate for sure.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
why are we discussing one trade? other gm's haven't made bad trades? poile dealing Seth Jones. Dubas with what? 45 mill tied up in 4 forwards? Saad our panarin? I can go on and on
It's a legit question because Drouin had that attitude problem with Tampa Bay when Steve Yzerman sent him to the AHL and he refused to report.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
It's a legit question because Drouin had that attitude problem with Tampa Bay when Steve Yzerman sent him to the AHL and he refused to report.
it was a shit trade. let's move on. Bergevin is not the worst GM in the league and the fact he's last here, shows poster are either clueless or blind haters.
The Weber trade looks fine now. He stole Domi. Stole Danault. Stole Suzuki etc...
He win's 90% of his trades and yet here we are, discussing drouin. Let's discuss Dubas. What say you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad