Worst GM in the league right now

Who is the worst GM in the league right now?

• Total voters

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
From what I have read from Flames fans it seems that Dubas made a good signing getting T.J. Brodie for 4 years and $5 million AAV. Plus it's hard to say anything bad about Wayne Simmonds getting 1 year and $1.5 million or re-signing Jason Spezza to another 1 year $700,000 contract.

So maybe it will take away the attention off him for those who hate everything he's done since being named the Leafs GM.
he seemed to get great value (still yet to be seen) on most of his draft picks as well. Aside from slightly overpaying Tavares (who would have got more elsewhere) and Marner and the Kadri trade, I think Dubas has done a really good job.

People seem to forget that this is only his 3rd off-season as GM of the Leafs. But people are either to impatient to see his vision come to fruition or specifically on this site, will take any opportunity to bash a certain team without any apparent reason.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
he seemed to get great value (still yet to be seen) on most of his draft picks as well. Aside from slightly overpaying Tavares (who would have got more elsewhere) and Marner and the Kadri trade, I think Dubas has done a really good job.

People seem to forget that this is only his 3rd off-season as GM of the Leafs. But people are either to impatient to see his vision come to fruition or specifically on this site, will take any opportunity to bash a certain team without any apparent reason.
We already know San Jose was offering Tavares $13 million, so I wouldn't include signing him to $11 million with the contract he gave to Marner and the Kadri trade.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
My top ones:

Benning - Seems to me that a lot of his success is based on luck. EP and Hughes exceeded expectations, without them being as great as they are Vancouver would be known only for bad contracts and mediocre results.

Dubas - Brodie changes a lot but those holes were there 2 years ago and are just now being patched. Not seeing Toronto as a better team because of him.

Rutherford - The no win trades just keep happening.

Jarmo - not on the level of the same two but negotiations with him just don't seem to go well, it's like it gets personal too often.

Treliving - Two years ago Calgary was success based off of career years by a few players including a dman in his mid/late 30s. Bought into his own success, didn't evaluate weaknesses and try to improve. Team has gotten worse since then, same weaknesses exist.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Benning just let his entire right side other than Myers at 6 million walk in FA, lost his starting goaltender, and lost the guy he just paid significant assets for 16 games because of the nearly 1/4th of the cap he's paying on boat anchor contracts. He has no one to replace any of these players. The Canucks defense next year will likely be 1/2 AHL players called up by circumstance.

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
It’s between Holland, Benning, and Bergevin after questionable drafts and horrible free agency.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I can only speak for myself, but the idea of Simmonds on a league minimum contract would have been in tandem with a serious offer to Pietrangelo. So now that Toronto isn't trying to force feed an $8 million plus contract under the cap, the difference between $700,000 or double that at $1.5 million isn't the end of the world.

However, I would like to find some more money to squeeze in a Corey Perry if possible. He's still got a lot of juice left from the playoff run.

I still would like one more Dman.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Only a few minutes ago we saw Lou Lamoriello trade Devon Toews to Colorado for 2nd round picks in 2021 and 2022, because the Islanders are having cap problems due to Lou's spending on other players like Anders Lee and Jean-Gabriel Pageau. However since Toews was already an RFA trading him doesn't solve any of their cap issues.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Only a few minutes ago we saw Lou Lamoriello trade Devon Toews to Colorado for 2nd round picks in 2021 and 2022, because the Islanders are having cap problems due to Lou's spending on other players like Anders Lee and Jean-Gabriel Pageau. However since Toews was already an RFA trading him doesn't solve any of their cap issues.

If the Isles bowed out early in the playoffs, Isles fans would have been marching with pitchforks for Lou.
When did this vote take place? When the Isles were free-falling in the regular season?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If the Isles bowed out early in the playoffs, Isles fans would have been marching with pitchforks for Lou.
When did this vote take place? When the Isles were free-falling in the regular season?
At least with the trades Kyle Dubas made of Kapanen to Pittsburgh and Johnsson to New Jersey, he was able to get rid of Kapanen's $3.2 million contract and Johnsson's $3.4 million contract off their salary cap and didn't need to retain either of their contracts.

Lamoriello trading Toews doesn't solve their cap problems.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Doesn’t this make more sense if the poll was “who’s the worst GM in this offseason after Pittsburgh won their cups?”

Were allowed to adjust to what’s happened since? This isn’t a career poll, it’s a right now poll.

Rutherford got himself out of the one albatross contract this off-season. So shouldn't his standing actually have gone up this off-season compared to last since he bought out Johnson and removed that guy from the roster?

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Benning cause of what he did years ago, even tough he's been better lately.
Jim Rutherford, cause he has been abysmal the last couple of years.
Doug Wilson in San Jose has been really bad lately

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Its Dubas AINEC. Picking up table scraps doesn't change that.
The horror of Dubas giving Wayne Simmonds 1 year at $1.5 million, Zach Bogosian 1 year at $1 million, and Jimmy Vesey 1 year at $900,000 how will we live with ourselves. Oh wait I forgot he also signed TJ Brodie to a 4 year contract worth $5 million who isn't scraps.

Now if you want to talk about scraps isn't that what Ken Holland did when he signed Tyson Barrie for 1 year at $3.75 million or is Barrie better because he's no longer a Maple Leaf?

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
So the guy who trade Subban for Weber, picks for Petry, Weise and Fleischmann for Danault and 2nd (Romanov), Pacioretty for Tatar, Suzuki and pick (Norlinder), Galchenyuk/Domi for Anderson, sign Toffoli for 4 years, 4,25 millions per year....

HE'S THE WORST GM OF THE LEAGUE?

Maybe Hfboard's is the worst FORUMS in the LIFE... that would be better option for the threads, come on, stop drugs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad