Worst GM in the league right now

Who is the worst GM in the league right now?

• Total voters

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
As of right now, it's Bergevin, followed by Dubas.

Wtf with Rutherford? Didn't the Pens just went back-to-back?
I'm I missing something?

Look where Bergevin took us: freaking nowhere

It's because this website ignores the fact that the goal of building a team is to win a cup, not have a great prospect pool or not make great trades or signings.

In the eyes of people on here, signing Jack Johnson counts for more of a negative than winning back to back cups as a positive.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Not the end of the world, sure. I think even you would not find it hard to say it was bad.

Are the vast majority Devils and Flyers fans who have watched Simmonds first hand over the years and said he is terrible are also just "confused fans?" Were the statistics that all show Simmonds' awful play over the past three years just tracked by "confused fans?"

That is not an exoneration of either move...
If anything how does Marc Bergevin look knowing he offered Simmonds more then $1.5 million? It's one thing for some Leafs fans to say he should have signed for $700,000 like Spezza did, but there was a GM willing to give Simmonds more money then Dubas.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
giphy.gif
He scammed your team. Good job.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If anything how does Marc Bergevin look knowing he offered Simmonds more then $1.5 million? It's one thing for some Leafs fans to say he should have signed for $700,000 like Spezza did, but there was a GM willing to give Simmonds more money then Dubas.

Marc Bergevin looks like a guy who is comfortably leading this poll with twice as many votes as Dubas. Again, this is not an exoneration of Dubas or the Simmonds signing, and the goal posts have been moved far from the initial statement that I challenged.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It's because this website ignores the fact that the goal of building a team is to win a cup, not have a great prospect pool or not make great trades or signings.

In the eyes of people on here, signing Jack Johnson counts for more of a negative than winning back to back cups as a positive.
Let’s be real. Pitt won cups only because the nhl rigged the Crosby lottery to your advantage. You got a free generational talent off a BS lockout lottery under dubious conditions.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I voted Benning. He's signed so many bad free agent contracts, and has failed at drafting high in the draft other than Pettersson and Hughes.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Let’s be real. Pitt won cups only because the nhl rigged the Crosby lottery to your advantage. You got a free generational talent off a BS lockout lottery under dubious conditions.

Jesus Christ dude, it has literally been 15 years. Let it go.

That conspiracy theory is old enough to be in high school. And if you want to talk conspiracy theories, how about we open up the "NHL gave Toronto Matthews" conspiracy theory?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Marc Bergevin looks like a guy who is comfortably leading this poll with twice as many votes as Dubas. Again, this is not an exoneration of Dubas or the Simmonds signing, and the goal posts have been moved far from the initial statement that I challenged.
That's basically my point. Since Bergevin was willing to give Simmonds more then $1.5 million that shows he's a worse GM then Dubas. Never mind the fact the contract he gave to Josh Anderson reminds me of when Dave Nonis signed David Clarkson to that 7 year contract worth $5.25 million AAV.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I voted Benning. He's signed so many bad free agent contracts, and has failed at drafting high in the draft other than Pettersson and Hughes.
I know it's biased, but if Kyle Dubas can land a top 4 D in Brodie with less cap room to maneuver than you. You certainly aren't among the top GMs.

I still think Benning is a middling GM though, not the worst.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

100% agree.

I mean, you are paying the price right now, but still, two goddamn cups. Bak-to-freaking-back.

On the other hand, my habs still sucked ass. I had hope until recently, but with Anderson's contract, I'm stressed out lol

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
To be fair, that "sizeable portion" is probably bigger than SJ's total # of fans. The Leafs are the biggest hockey team in the world. Every team has their share of confused fans - we just have more due to the sheer size of the fanbase.
why is believing that 1.5 million for Simmonds is poor value an indication that a fan is confused?

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

Doesn’t this make more sense if the poll was “who’s the worst GM in this offseason after Pittsburgh won their cups?”

Were allowed to adjust to what’s happened since? This isn’t a career poll, it’s a right now poll.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd say Marc Bergevin but there's a reason he's had a job this long. Some might say Doug Armstrong but he has a very good strategy.

But one who never gets heat, and should, is Stan Bowman. The guy is very overrated and rode the three cups train. He basically fired one of the best coaches in the NHL just to save his ass and replaced him with what might turn out to be one of the worst ones ever that's about to take the same credit he did as a GM like Colliton will as a coach.

But what most of us don't know is what goes behind closed doors and never leaves. All we see is the transactions and draft picks these managers make but not the other potential amazing things.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He scammed your team. Good job.

Jordanlaughing.gif

Doesn’t your GM still need to sign Bear, get another top 4D and a starting goalie with like 5 million cap left or something?

But hey, good thing Ennis is staying in the mix and the ghost of Kyle Turris is now on the roster :laugh:

Good thing the Flames GM just scammed us into the best goalie we’ve had since 34 retired.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Jordanlaughing.gif

Doesn’t your GM still need to sign Bear, get another top 4D and a starting goalie with like 5 million cap left or something?

But hey, good thing Ennis is staying in the mix and the ghost of Kyle Turris is now on the roster :laugh:

Good thing the Flames GM just scammed us into the best goalie we’ve had since 34 retired.
Lol k

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->