OT: Workout/Lifting/General Fitness & Nutrition Thread

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Ok, you guys have convinced me, I'm going all in on legs for the next month or so, and I'll see where it gets me! I needed a kick in the butt.

Feel free to check out the program I mentioned, nSuns. The guy wrote it while he was cutting and made strength gains. It's an INCREDIBLY taxing program, however. I'd say to follow the squat progression system if you just want to up that. Look at how it uses %s. I'd not suggest doing it on a cut, or just maintaining if you're cutting.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Two Saturday’s ago, hit 3x6 of 350 for squat and 2x6 of 385 for deadlifts. Starting to deload for squats so I can hit 405 2x6 in the coming weeks.

Someone asked earlier, no I don’t do OHP as it’s useless. If I want a better bench, I simply bench.

Useless? From what I've read, OHP has more functional strength carryover than bench does. As far as to get better at benching, I mean, your delts are still used in the bench so I think it has some transfer but yes the best way to get a better bench is to bench more.

Reactions: YellowheadChiefs

YellowheadChiefs

Jan 31, 2019
Useless? From what I've read, OHP has more functional strength carryover than bench does. As far as to get better at benching, I mean, your delts are still used in the bench so I think it has some transfer but yes the best way to get a better bench is to bench more.

Wording was poor, as it’s not useless but it’s far harder to train and the amount of energy spent doing it on a bench day even as an accessory is too much. My bench has gone far up since I quit doing it actually.

Reactions: irunthepeg

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
after benching i usually just hit some low volume low-incline DB press. after ~8 sets of benching can't do to much pressing accessories after lol.

OHP on a separate day for sure.

i got "high volume" conventional today. 400x5x7, some safety bar squats and core after...... then a nice steak :)

I'm guessing you're long limbed?

Whenever I feel like I'm getting strong I google "powerlifting records for female high school athletes"

shorter arms make it a bit tough for me with conventional. but with sumo i can get into position better

Last edited:

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Wording was poor, as it’s not useless but it’s far harder to train and the amount of energy spent doing it on a bench day even as an accessory is too much. My bench has gone far up since I quit doing it actually.

Gotcha! Yeah on my Monday, I have volume bench as my T1 (primary lift) and OHP volume work as my T2. Neither are putting me further than like 70-80% of my training max. Wednesday I have OHP power as my T1, where I'll go for 95% of my training max. Then Friday will be bench power and close grip bench. Definitely don't go for your heaviest on them both on the same day.

Reactions: YellowheadChiefs

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
My best bench is 265 lbs x 3 reps. I only weighed 170 lbs at the time, and it was the strongest I've ever been. Unfortunately, tore my rotator cuff (doing an overhead press actually) a few years back, and I haven't been the same since. Plus, just...old :) Just light stuff now.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
My best bench is 265 lbs x 3 reps. I only weighed 170 lbs at the time, and it was the strongest I've ever been. Unfortunately, tore my rotator cuff (doing an overhead press actually) a few years back, and I haven't been the same since. Plus, just...old :) Just light stuff now.

That's a nice bench. I got to 250lbs for 3 before deloading and currently building back up, and feeling stronger too. My top set is 240lbs today. Hoping for 4 reps. Your BW at 170 is much more impressive though, I'm like 190ish right now.

Sucks about the RC. Eek.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
That's a nice bench. I got to 250lbs for 3 before deloading and currently building back up, and feeling stronger too. My top set is 240lbs today. Hoping for 4 reps.

Sucks about the RC. Eek.

Yeah I think that number is pretty good for a casual gym guy who is chained to a desk most of the time...not elite, but pretty dang good. A bigger guy (240'ish) was spotting me and said 'You are freakishly strong for your size. This is the kind of weight I work with.'. Mind you though, I was a guy who skipped leg day all the time so I could do more bench. :) Can't say I had a balanced physique!

Had surgery on the shoulder, tendon had full thickness tear and detached from the bone. Still terrified to do overhead press again to this day.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Yeah I think that number is pretty good for a casual gym guy who is chained to a desk most of the time...not elite, but pretty dang good. A bigger guy (240'ish) was spotting me and said 'You are freakishly strong for your size. This is the kind of weight I work with.'. Mind you though, I was a guy who skipped leg day all the time so I could do more bench. :) Can't say I had a balanced physique!

Had surgery on the shoulder, tendon had full thickness tear and detached from the bone. Still terrified to do overhead press again to this day.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Howard Chuck

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

There's a dude on YT, it's like UF power lifter. He's this short Asian guy, who has a family now, and all he does is bench, and I swear he's like 5'4, probably under 150lbs bodyweight and can bench 405. He doesn't look like he's on gear. I believe in one of his videos he explains he only really does bench now cause it's all he has time to commit to, but it's insane.

Same here, man, I'm just at a desk all day. That for sure does sound good for your size though.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. :sarcasm:

:laugh:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
There's a dude on YT, it's like UF power lifter. He's this short Asian guy, who has a family now, and all he does is bench, and I swear he's like 5'4, probably under 150lbs bodyweight and can bench 405. He doesn't look like he's on gear. I believe in one of his videos he explains he only really does bench now cause it's all he has time to commit to, but it's insane.

Same here, man, I'm just at a desk all day. That for sure does sound good for your size though.

I just looked him up on YouTube and watched about 10 videos. Wow, now that guy is freakish! 2.5x + bodyweight, looks like he has like a 27 inch waist.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

He probably doesn't train legs to keep his bodyweight low too
I found moving to close-grip bench saved my shoulders but cut my strength by 20-30%. Still worth it tho
just wait till your elbows start hating you :laugh:

Most gyms do not have access to this, but the football/Swiss bar on the flat bench is a nice change up that does not f*** with my shoulders.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I found moving to close-grip bench saved my shoulders but cut my strength by 20-30%. Still worth it tho

Yep, the smart play if you're just trying to maintain/gain some size without risking your shoulders. The closer your grip is the safer it will likely be for your shoulders. I bench for my normal bench with my hands maybe 2 inches outside the middle nurling, which I believe is really close. But it's always felt most comfortable for me.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
3rthlw.jpg

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Back to back 4AM nights had my sumo deads feeling like garbage today. Cut the workout short and went home and passed out, gonna try it again tmrw or Tuesday.

Benched 305*2*3 and 290*3*4 for some paused sets yesterday, along with 270*3*5 on close grip.

YellowheadChiefs

Jan 31, 2019
I’ve been a really bad yo-yo dieter for the last two years which before I could get away with, but these last 15lbs of fat are the hardest to lose. All on the lower core too lol, but since after my bday on the 27th been doing full macro counting split 2500 cals, 200g protein, 200g carbs, 100g fat.

As long as I’m hitting my protein and calories. Been tightening up already and not tired whatsoever but having to adjust my breathing with squats and my deadlift since I have to tighten my belt an extra notch already.

My buddy just competed at the nationals in Winnipeg for 83kg junior and he’s given me exactly what he started with in terms of diet and programming and I mean, he’s going to worlds in a Belarus so I figured time to smarten up and listen to him.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I've dropped red meat, butter and milk but am feeling lethargic. Has anyone else experienced this?

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
All YMCAs in Winnipeg are closed for a month.:eek2:

Not cool!:whatever:

My gym closed as well today.... going to try to find ways to workout at home.

A few years ago I decided to convert one of my guest bedrooms into a gym.

Best move I ever made for two reasons.

First, I can workout anytime I want.

Two, I almost never get sick because I'm the only person who uses my weights.​

Reactions: Buffdog and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I am doing tabata and yoga exercises with a yoga mat and the few free weights I have lol.

Reactions: Guardian17

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

There are no headaches.

Plus, I can play the music I want to listen to and put the channel I want to watch on the TV.​

Reactions: surixon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad