OT: Workout/Lifting/General Fitness & Nutrition Thread

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
With the whole slew of OT Threads, thought i'd start one too.

Post your workout routine or split, goals, or other activities that you might partake in. Post some Personal Records or accomplishments that you any that you're proud of.

Currently on a "power-building" type split. Main focus being getting stronger at Flat Bench, Overhead Press (OHP) and both Conventional & Sumo Deadifts, with evidently a blend of hypertrophy-type exercises and rep schemes in there. Think this is a great way to gain both strength and muscle and still focusing on core movements.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Its already gone some two decades from my days of athleticism, but I was avid swimmer. Long distances on the edge of aerobic and anaerobic exercises. 3 to 5 times a week for about 15 to 30 kilometers per week, in a short indoor swimming pool. I was in damn good condition then. Today all I have left from those efforts is the muscle memory for swimming techniques. Then, those distant days I also made often long hiking trips in a woods during summer time, occasionally also during winters, and several very long journeys in a wildernesses of Lapland (hundreds of kilometers per trip).

Never 'pumped iron' but I know what it is to be in great overall physical condition.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Been focusing on a rotation of compound exercises for awhile now, just in an effort to ne stronger and hopefully stay that way.

Recently incorporated a 20 minute HIIT routine 4 days a week. Holy hell!!
Yeah started doing bit of cardio now. What are you doing for HIIT

YellowheadChiefs

Jan 31, 2019
Got into power lifting last April. I always did body building style workouts and meal prep however those competitions are just laughable. I don't find anything cool about starving yourself and getting a spray tan to be considered better.

I decided to switch to power lifting to get stronger and in turn hold less fat (hovering around 13%) and still working on it and my numbers but I had to perfect my form and readjust. I do paused bench every time since touch and go is dumb and I always warm up to my top weight. Current days are like this:

Saturday - 3x6 squat, 2x6 sumo deadlift
Monday - 3x7 bench, 3x10 bent over row
Tuesday - 4x4 paused squat, 4x5 bench, 3x4 paused sumo deadlift
Thursday - 6x3 bench, accessory work

Some core and cardio, you name it, but the best thing during all of this was learning that you should not kill yourself every time in the gym.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka

I recall that when the efficiency of my heart was tested during those swimming days over 20 years ago, it was 43ml/kg/minute (I am/was about 60kg 184cm ektomorph) as far as I can recall. For comparison, Norwegian elite cross-country skier Björn Dahlie had something over 52ml/kg/minute (I could recall horribly wrong, Dahlie may've had much higher value), with totally different body type and much higher muscle mass. I can't exactly remember what was measured in that test, but it was probably a heart's ability to transfer blood and feed muscles with Oxygen. I wasn't then yet started bad habit of heavy smoking and there was no grease around my inner organs either due alcohol consumption. Anyway, regardless of details, even a tester noted that I had very efficient heart for my body.

I think body builders too often neglect the importance of enough good heart for their increasing muscle mass. It impacts directly to ability to gain more mass: at least when done in healthy, balanced manner.

Generally I find this thread interesting but I don't know proper English words and terms in this context.

Edit: I was wrong. B. Dahlie's VO2max was insane 92ml/kg/minute.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Just body weight for now, no weights. Doing some lateral lunges, reverse lunge to a knee raise, standing knee to elbow, couple of different plank variations, sit up variations , push up variations and some crossovers.
Quick and deadly.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Second half of last year I was on a pretty consistent routine of:

5x5 Squat
5x5 Deadlift
5x5 Military Press
5x5 Bench
5x5 Bent over barbell row
No cardio

3 times a week. Then hurt my back mid-rep while doing a squat and it's still not 100%. As a result I have had to put a pause to the strength stuff and am doing just cardio at the moment. There is definitely strength training exercises I could do that would avoid aggravating the back injury but I am too gun shy at the moment to lift.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Its already gone some two decades from my days of athleticism, but I was avid swimmer. Long distances on the edge of aerobic and anaerobic exercises. 3 to 5 times a week for about 15 to 30 kilometers per week, in a short indoor swimming pool. I was in damn good condition then. Today all I have left from those efforts is the muscle memory for swimming techniques. Then, those distant days I also made often long hiking trips in a woods during summer time, occasionally also during winters, and several very long journeys in a wildernesses of Lapland (hundreds of kilometers per trip).

Never 'pumped iron' but I know what it is to be in great overall physical condition.

I like to try to swim after each workout. It’s great for cooling down after hard exercise and swimming is fantastic for you.

Reactions: Se829ne

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
As a teenager I played many sports like Hockey, Baseball and even a little Soccer.

I even wrestled in High School.

But, what really got me motivated to workout was when I was doing my post-graduate training which involved me working part time in an old folks home and a veteran's hospital.

The people who had the most health complications and died first were the ones who sat around and did nothing all day.

I used to work out in gyms, but, one time I got my locker broken into.

So, I set up a gym in my home and work out there.

I also find that because I work out at home I don't get sick anymore because I'm the only one using my equipment.

I have worked out at all different time of day from 5 am in the morning to late in the evening.

I have found that I have my best workouts around 9 pm at night.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Don't have to exercise , i lift and pull heavy crap at work 5 days a week . :laugh:

Worked at UPS for a few years. Kinda glad I’m not doing that anymore. Guys in the building tend to have back problems. The drivers, which is what i was doing, tend to have knee problems.

Reactions: Jets 31

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I used to play sports in school, but ran out of time in college. Then I had chronic Lyme for 10 years, and so I'm super happy to be regularly hiking. The best thing for me was to switch from an office job to being outdoors on my feet all day working with plants. I've done some workouts on and off, but I don't get the workout/runner highs that many people get so it's hard to be consistent. My metabolism also burns way too many calories already...

Recently came across Neuromovement therapy which is about training your brain to move the way it was designed, and to re-train the bad habits that we develop over the years (like being able to distinguish your vertebrae instead of 'blocking' your spine into 'neck' & 'high back/shoulders' & 'low back'). It brings amazing clarity & calmness to boot.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I used to play sports in school, but ran out of time in college. Then I had chronic Lyme for 10 years, and so I'm super happy to be regularly hiking. The best thing for me was to switch from an office job to being outdoors on my feet all day working with plants. I've done some workouts on and off, but I don't get the workout/runner highs that many people get so it's hard to be consistent. My metabolism also burns way too many calories already...

Recently came across Neuromovement therapy which is about training your brain to move the way it was designed, and to re-train the bad habits that we develop over the years (like being able to distinguish your vertebrae instead of 'blocking' your spine into 'neck' & 'high back/shoulders' & 'low back'). It brings amazing clarity & calmness to boot.

I want to underline that bolded part of your comment, wholly worth to read.

Why. I have never weighted more than 63kg and that happened when I was at my peak of 'athletism' in age of late teens. Doctors never measured any temperature when my own experience and other visible symptoms were clearly indicating 'high fever'. No matter what I ate, regardless of energy contention, only places on my body where that change could've been seen were a depth of cavity of my cheeks, and then only for those rare who knew me and meet me enough long to spot the difference. I always wondered how there can even exist multi-hundred kilos tanks of irresponsible eating for something that low than pleasure or comfort. I was and I still am very 'dry' guy by fat percentage.

With age I got "wiser" and more complex (metally particularly), and I realized that I was born with relatively rare genetic and physical complexion. Not even over two decades of extremely irregular and generally very unhealthy, changing life (both physically and psychologically) did chance the fact. My body temperature in rest is very low (~35.8 celcius degrees) and I avoid instinctively sweets and sugars, as my body doesn't ever make me feel that I need such things, and in those very rare occasions when it does really need more fast fuel, it doesn't have any impact to outlook of the ectomorph. Generally, mandatory amounts of minimum eating are always been automatically determined by the energy consumption I spent when doing something/anything in exact ratio to the reality. I have no culinary drive beyond the fact that I must eat. But oh'boy how I can enjoy when I get sometimes something really good... :) For me this all is normal, but I can easily understand that this isn't the case with the majority of people browsing these threads.

Spartan body with spartan metabolism. Never going to be Mr. Universe, no matter what I do, or not to do, it simply doesn't make any difference. One of the "symptoms" is that I've been able to recover my basic level fitness easily within few weeks this far (42 yo currently), regardless of a state of being (100 book nerd on a sofa in few months, 100 bottles train-hobo with something to eat once in every 3 days, 10g/d skunking hippie, pathological HF rage-spammer...)

The point of the essay being that; do not only look to your outer measures and limits, look also what was set into your mostly genetically determined metabolism, what you need, and what you try achieve, but in sensible relation to a nature of your base metabolism. You can fight against your 'default settings' to some degree, highly more probably with lot more higher margin of success I ever could/can.

That is commented generally for all, not particularly directed to dear @FonRiesen. :)

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Worked at UPS for a few years. Kinda glad I’m not doing that anymore. Guys in the building tend to have back problems. The drivers, which is what i was doing, tend to have knee problems.
Ya my back has given me some issues over the years but i stay pretty active all year especially summer . Played 115 rounds of golf and never take a cart .

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I have anyways enjoyed running, all the way back to my high school days. Always hated lifting. Still hate it haha. Even though that does need to change shortly.
I started up jogging again three years ago to lose weight and it took on a life of its own.
I started entering race events. 5k’s 10k’s even half done a couple half marathons. Broke two hours which I was really happy with... but I got hurt training, decided to push through. Which in hindsight was the stupidest thing I could have done.
I have been struggling to get healthy since then (May of last year) just finished 3 months of physio.
Finally to the point where I can really get back at it. Got myself up to 10 miles last weekend.
Hoping to be ready for a half marathon in June.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I have anyways enjoyed running, all the way back to my high school days. Always hated lifting. Still hate it haha. Even though that does need to change shortly.
I started up jogging again three years ago to lose weight and it took on a life of its own.
I started entering race events. 5k’s 10k’s even half done a couple half marathons. Broke two hours which I was really happy with... but I got hurt training, decided to push through. Which in hindsight was the stupidest thing I could have done.
I have been struggling to get healthy since then (May of last year) just finished 3 months of physio.
Finally to the point where I can really get back at it. Got myself up to 10 miles last weekend.
Hoping to be ready for a half marathon in June.

Hardest thing to do sometimes is to take a step back when hurt. That goes for anything fitness related. Got to listen to our bodies. Glad to hear you’re back at it. I’d like to do a half marathon at some point in my life even though I’m mostly a gym rat.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Hardest thing to do sometimes is to take a step back when hurt. That goes for anything fitness related. Got to listen to our bodies. Glad to hear you’re back at it. I’d like to do a half marathon at some point in my life even though I’m mostly a gym rat.

I have learned some pretty valuable lessons to say the least.
First one is that that I am not 20 or even 30 anymore :laugh:
Second one less running. More strengthening.
Had I done a bit more strength work, I am thinking I would have been as hurt as I got.

you should do a half. Doing 13.1 miles can sounds rough, but isn’t really that bad. It’s actually quite enjoyable.
I am really thinking of doing a full marathon one day. Not sure I have the guts to try it.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I have learned some pretty valuable lessons to say the least.
First one is that that I am not 20 or even 30 anymore :laugh:
Second one less running. More strengthening.
Had I done a bit more strength work, I am thinking I would have been as hurt as I got.

you should do a half. Doing 13.1 miles can sounds rough, but isn’t really that bad. It’s actually quite enjoyable.
I am really thinking of doing a full marathon one day. Not sure I have the guts to try it.

I managed to do 2.5 miles today at my first OTF class. First time since likely high school I’ve ran more then a mile.

My fiancé’s mom is a big runner. She’s done a few halfs and maybe a full.

Reactions: Ducky10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad