OT: Workout/Lifting/General Fitness & Nutrition Thread

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
bench day
been having some issues with flat bench with my shoulder so took it easy couple weeks/hot yoga/rolled out/tiger balm. weight is like low-to-mid 170s right now (lol, lowest in years. usually in the 185-195 range).

277x6
paused bench 262x3x4-6
CGBP 247x3x5-7

Decline DB bench (80s-100s) 4x10+
Cable Cross Overs 3xDon't Count

little bit of discomfort but best it's felt in weeks.
---------------------------------------------------------
Sumo deads today
447x7
422x, 1x4, 1x5, 1x6, 1x11
deficit conv deads: 377x3x5

hack squats for some sets and reps
leg ext/leg curl for some more sets and reps

dead now.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Couple work outs from this weekend

Bench
282*5
Paused bench: 267*3*4+
CGBP: 252*3*5+

Decline Db bench
80s-100s*5*a lot

Cable cross over
3*a bunch
------------------
Sumo deadlift
452*8
427*4*5+
Deficit conventional: 377*3*5
Hack squats: 4*6+, pyramid weight
DB split squat: 4* a lot

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Couple work outs from this weekend

Bench day
287x5
272x3x4-5 (paused reps)
257x3x5 (CGBP)

Decline DB Press 80-100s 5 x a lot
Incline Flys 50s 3 x a bunch
-------------------------------------
Sumo deads
457x8+1......had to re-chalk/re-strap and got a 9th rep lol
432x4x5-8
382x3x5 (Conv. Deficit deads)

Hack Squat Pyramid weight 4 x 6-10+
DB Bulg. Split squats 70-80s x 4 x a lot per leg
leg ext ss w/ leg curl 3 x i lost count after 12

Hot yoga Sunday evening

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Way to get after it DRW204. That's some decent strength

Finally switched up my programming after 4 years. I'll give it some time before drawing any conclusions.

Goals are to maintain strength but improve conditioning (and lean out a bit)

Also started tracking macros again... it's been a while

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Thnx dog. I think I might be strongest pound for pound as I've ever been. I notice my upper body lifts take a big hit with weight loss, but I'm more or less the same Rep range given the weight on the bar for deads. (I don't barbell squat)
Way to get after it DRW204. That's some decent strength

Finally switched up my programming after 4 years. I'll give it some time before drawing any conclusions.

Goals are to maintain strength but improve conditioning (and lean out a bit)

Also started tracking macros again... it's been a while

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
not sure if people still lifting...

lifting has been....inconsistent to say the least. messed up my rotator cuff so my bench has been a disaster. lost some lb over the spring-summer (20-30lb). but pound-for-pound still as strong as i was prior, might be even a little stronger.

latest workout

sumo deads
462x3
437x4x-5-8
deficit conventional: 392x3x5

some split squats, db straight leg dead lifts

have OHP tonight.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
not sure if people still lifting...

lifting has been....inconsistent to say the least. messed up my rotator cuff so my bench has been a disaster. lost some lb over the spring-summer (20-30lb). but pound-for-pound still as strong as i was prior, might be even a little stronger.

latest workout

sumo deads
462x3
437x4x-5-8
deficit conventional: 392x3x5

some split squats, db straight leg dead lifts

have OHP tonight.
reviving this thread a bit

rotator cuff injury probably led to lat tear/strain on the same side. but think it's 85-90% now. lifting has been inconsistent this past couple months to say the least. but it is what it is, shit happens.

ohp
top-set: 177x7
162x3x6-8
some hypertrophy delt stuff (lat raises, standing db press, face pull) and bit of arms

sumo deads
top-set: 462*8
447x4x5-8
deficit conventional 367*3*6-8

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I'm getting back into my fitness and cardio workout routines.

Last week I ran 5 km X 5 sessions (Mon, Tues, Wed, Friday and Sat) - shooting for a 25-27 min pace followed by cool down. Doing some core stuff as well (side planks with pulses 50 a side x2), plus 100 pushups, 100 squats with light weight, 100 crunches.

The Tuesday, Wed sessions was difficult, nay brutal, due to newbie muscle stiffness. The pushups were particularly difficult.

I took Sunday off to feel the pain, ha ha. By the end of the week I was recovering some of my old capacity.

After my runs I grab a mat and stretch by doing some yoga stuff my kids showed me, like keyhole ankle grab and pull, pigeon stretch, etc to try to open up the hips and keep my old pyriform, sciatic nerve injuries down to a dull roar. :laugh:

Feeling better than I have since last summer. I sure helps to move.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP and RabidOne

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
So I got sick right at Christmas, and basically missed two weeks in the gym. Then i made it maybe a week and got in that car accident. So three weeks out of about 4.5-5 weeks I completely missed the gym. I had managed to get my bench to 205lbs for 8 reps for the first time in my life. The set back really knocked me down a peg. :laugh: Hopefully by the end of February i can surpass those numbers and continue to make progress in my biggest weak point… legs. Lol

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So I got sick right at Christmas, and basically missed two weeks in the gym. Then i made it maybe a week and got in that car accident. So three weeks out of about 4.5-5 weeks I completely missed the gym. I had managed to get my bench to 205lbs for 8 reps for the first time in my life. The set back really knocked me down a peg. :laugh: Hopefully by the end of February i can surpass those numbers and continue to make progress in my biggest weak point… legs. Lol
sick from covid? how are you finding it being back with breathing and whatnot? heard from a few gym buddies it took a couple weeks to get their breathing/cardio back.

bench last night

277x7
paused: 267x3x4
close-grip: 252x3x5

incline db: some reps x 3
incline flys: lots of reps x 4

Reactions: kanadalainen

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
sick from covid? how are you finding it being back with breathing and whatnot? heard from a few gym buddies it took a couple weeks to get their breathing/cardio back.

bench last night

277x7
paused: 267x3x4
close-grip: 252x3x5

incline db: some reps x 3
incline flys: lots of reps x 4

I tested negative for Covid but was sick long enough to miss almost 2 weeks.

Nice numbers. Got a now former coworker who was repping 265 on incline bb bench.

Reactions: DRW204

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
You folks push remarkable amounts of weight. My youngest kid can really bench a ton of weight, but he's a big lad - around 6' 3" and 235. Plus he's super young. :laugh:

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
hit arms (hypertrophy) Wednesday. Day off + Massage yesterday. Sumo deads + yoga tonight prior to what is expected to be a debauchery of a weekend :laugh:

You folks push remarkable amounts of weight. My youngest kid can really bench a ton of weight, but he's a big lad - around 6' 3" and 235. Plus he's super young. :laugh:
if he's interested get him on a proper routine. not sure how old or long he's been lifting. but 6'3 235 he probably has tons of room for strength+hypertrophy

Last edited:

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
hit arms (hypertrophy) Wednesday. Day off + Massage yesterday. Sumo deads + yoga tonight prior to what is expected to be a debauchery of a weekend :laugh:

if he's interested get him on a proper routine. not sure how old or long he's been lifting. but 6'3 235 he probably has tons of room for strength+hypertrophy

He's a swimmer.. just finished 4 years at the U of Calgary varsity team, and graduated. For a while they had him in middle distance (200 fly was his thing), and he did some lifting, but then switched him to sprints and he starting doing lots of weight. Bottom line - the youngster knows more about it than I do. :laugh:

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He's a swimmer.. just finished 4 years at the U of Calgary varsity team, and graduated. For a while they had him in middle distance (200 fly was his thing), and he did some lifting, but then switched him to sprints and he starting doing lots of weight. Bottom line - knows more about it than I do. :laugh:
ah okay. swimmers probably have great body flexibility and motor control. olympic lifting he could probably do real well in

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Haven't been training as hard as I used to.... Buuut hoping to log some things again.

Barbell bench and barbell ohp I think I've retired from for the time being. Strained the shit out of my bicep and tri tendon dumbbell benching. The first Rep with the 120-130s was awkward as f*** and haven't felt right with the barbell since. Dumbbells is still fine.

Probably going to lift 5ish times a week. Cardio a few times. And maybe one hot yoga session if time permits.

Beltless w/ straps
Sumo deads:
442*5*10 beltless

Deficit conventional deads:
375*3*6

Safety-bar good mornings:
235*10+
255*8ish
275*6-8

Some leg curls/leg Ext.

Reactions: Guardian17

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
saturday back hypertrophy:
some lat pull downs (OH grip, neutral grip)
some angled pull down
chest-supported seated row
single arm OH pulls

3-4 sets each, 8+ reps

sunday:
conventional deads
382*5*10
dead-shrug: 342*3*6

hack squats: some

walking db lunges: a bunch

tandoori chicken & fish pakora: a lot

Reactions: Guardian17

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Just got back on the weights after injuring my left shoulder at jiu jitsu 6 weeks ago. Had an ortho appt this week and will hopefully end up in an MRI tube before my shoulder is either completely healed or my arm falls off altogether. Will have to stick to squats/deads and shoulder rehab for a few more weeks. I'm back on the mats but just doing classes and drilling, no rolling yet.

@DRW204 do you do your own programming? You're a strong mofo

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Just got back on the weights after injuring my left shoulder at jiu jitsu 6 weeks ago. Had an ortho appt this week and will hopefully end up in an MRI tube before my shoulder is either completely healed or my arm falls off altogether. Will have to stick to squats/deads and shoulder rehab for a few more weeks. I'm back on the mats but just doing classes and drilling, no rolling yet.

@DRW204 do you do your own programming? You're a strong mofo
Yeah. These days have been just gong by feel really. More hypertrophy work. I used To do my own version of 5-3-1.

Love strength training however think my body is reaching its limits. Fighting and clawing for an extra 5-10 lb on my 1Rm just doesn't appeal to me anymore. So just trying to go for more reps and set PRs for deadlifts these days. Think around October 2022 I peaked around 472-482 for 5*10 on Sumo deads (beltless, straps). Hit 422*5*10 couple weeks ago, and 442*5*10 this past week. So we'll see what we can do. I was doing alot more stretching and hot yoga last year so want to get back into that.

Kind of don't enjoy barbell bench or ohp right now so just on DBs

You have access to a Safety Squat Bar? Really good squat alternative if your shoulder is messed/mobility issue.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yeah. These days have been just gong by feel really. More hypertrophy work. I used To do my own version of 5-3-1.

Love strength training however think my body is reaching its limits. Fighting and clawing for an extra 5-10 lb on my 1Rm just doesn't appeal to me anymore. So just trying to go for more reps and set PRs for deadlifts these days. Think around October 2022 I peaked around 472-482 for 5*10 on Sumo deads (beltless, straps). Hit 422*5*10 couple weeks ago, and 442*5*10 this past week. So we'll see what we can do. I was doing alot more stretching and hot yoga last year so want to get back into that.

Kind of don't enjoy barbell bench or ohp right now so just on DBs

You have access to a Safety Squat Bar? Really good squat alternative if your shoulder is messed/mobility issue.
I've also followed versions of 5/3/1 for years - trying to make gains while not burning out at my age (47) is a balancing act.

I looked at safety bars right after my injury but surprisingly, the external rotation to grip the bar while squatting isn't uncomfortable. I mostly took the time off because loading the bar was painful, but it seems better now. I should probably invest in one anyway, along with a trap bar for DLs. I hear it's a game changer for guys my age.

The only reason I'm still trying to claw out strength gains is because I know that sarcopenia and strength loss as we age are inevitable and I'd like to keep doing my physical hobbies for as long as I can. If I can train BJJ and bow hunt until I'm 80, I'll be a happy dude.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I've also followed versions of 5/3/1 for years - trying to make gains while not burning out at my age (47) is a balancing act.

I looked at safety bars right after my injury but surprisingly, the external rotation to grip the bar while squatting isn't uncomfortable. I mostly took the time off because loading the bar was painful, but it seems better now. I should probably invest in one anyway, along with a trap bar for DLs. I hear it's a game changer for guys my age.

The only reason I'm still trying to claw out strength gains is because I know that sarcopenia and strength loss as we age are inevitable and I'd like to keep doing my physical hobbies for as long as I can. If I can train BJJ and bow hunt until I'm 80, I'll be a happy dude.
I've never really been a trap bar person but I do get the benefits. Less taxing on the lower back. I used to do trap bar carries for girp work..... Might get back into that now that you mentioned it lol.

Ah ok. I hated barbell squatting. These days alternate b/w the safety bar and hack squat. also, Good Mornings with the Safety Bar is a game changer.

Reactions: Buffdog

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Flat Db press
120 lb*4*8-11 reps

Incline Db press
95-105*3*8

Cambered bar bench
235*3*8

Incline Db fly's
60-70lb*3*not sure, concentrated on slower tempo but I think 8+ reps.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad