OT: Workout/Lifting/General Fitness & Nutrition Thread

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
Great thread! Since January of 2022 I went from 195 pounds down to 168. Im 5’8. I’ve been able to lose a lot of the fat I put on during the pandemic and working from home. It’s crazy the strength gains I’ve had recently. I went from maxing out at 75 pound dumbbells about 3 months ago to 95 pound dumbbells. Probably the biggest increase in strength in a short amount of time since I started working out over a decade ago. The biggest thing for me is just doing the small things. I typically fast 16 hours a day and I eat from 11-7, I’ll eat some Greek yogurt with some blue berries and almonds at 11 am, around 1 I’ll eat some lean ground beef with rice and a boat load of different vegetables, then around 3 pm I’ll have a protein shake with some greens and a banana, I work out around 5;00 then I’ll make dinner after, I do it every day. I feel like I’m in the best shape of my life after rebounding from what was the worst shape of my life as I was always into the gym, and played sports my whole life.

Edit: I also cut out alcohol for 3 months, I make sure to get a minimum of 8 hours of sleep every month, and as someone who’s in their early 30’s this one is important I stretch 2-3 times a day for about 5 minutes at a time.

Last edited:

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
20211217_041656.jpg

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Great thread! Since January of 2022 I went from 195 pounds down to 168. Im 5’8. I’ve been able to lose a lot of the fat I put on during the pandemic and working from home. It’s crazy the strength gains I’ve had recently. I went from maxing out at 75 pound dumbbells about 3 months ago to 95 pound dumbbells. Probably the biggest increase in strength in a short amount of time since I started working out over a decade ago. The biggest thing for me is just doing the small things. I typically fast 16 hours a day and I eat from 11-7, I’ll eat some Greek yogurt with some blue berries and almonds at 11 am, around 1 I’ll eat some lean ground beef with rice and a boat load of different vegetables, then around 3 pm I’ll have a protein shake with some greens and a banana, I work out around 5;00 then I’ll make dinner after, I do it every day. I feel like I’m in the best shape of my life after rebounding from what was the worst shape of my life as I was always into the gym, and played sports my whole life.

Edit: I also cut out alcohol for 3 months, I make sure to get a minimum of 8 hours of sleep every month, and as someone who’s in their early 30’s this one is important I stretch 2-3 times a day for about 5 minutes at a time.
Congrats! I've heard some great results from folks who did intermittent fasting. Glad it's going well 👍

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I generally run about 5 km daily to maintain a mild elevation of HR @ 150 or 160 for 30 min. To counterbalance I follow up with some light arm and chest free weight work. This year I had a couple of injuries which messed up my left ankle (sprained while hiking) and right knee (meniscus tear following a bonspeil). The ankle was no biggy, but the knee has taken 6 weeks to stop hurting - and I cannot crouch fully without pain.

I think my curling days are over. :(

Reactions: Buffdog and GNP

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I generally run about 5 km daily to maintain a mild elevation of HR @ 150 or 160 for 30 min. To counterbalance I follow up with some light arm and chest free weight work. This year I had a couple of injuries which messed up my left ankle (sprained while hiking) and right knee (meniscus tear following a bonspeil). The ankle was no biggy, but the knee has taken 6 weeks to stop hurting - and I cannot crouch fully without pain.

I think my curling days are over. :(
Well if you get a scope for the meniscus you’ll likely be able to still curl, albeit with discomfort. That ain’t going away ever. Had my fifth scope in January, just happened to be the second on the same knee, 370 days apart. :nod:

Reactions: kanadalainen
Nov 24, 2006

What did the removal of alcohol from your life do for you?

And I’m assuming you mean 8 hours of sleep per day, and not month!

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
What did the removal of alcohol from your life do for you?

And I’m assuming you mean 8 hours of sleep per day, and not month!

It’s completely changed my life around. I never really realized how bad it was, having to have a couple of drinks every time I was watching sports, or associating social settings with drinking. Learning to enjoy a Jets game, or being around good company without drinking was a shockingly hard thing to do. A few things I noticed about cutting out alcohol was the deeper quality of sleeps I was getting. Being able to fall asleep sooner and get into a deeper sleep without waking up throughout the night, having more energy throughout my day, better mental clarity and one of the most underrated things was all the extra time I had with a clear mind. I didn’t realize how time consuming alcohol can be, a few drinks with friends can turn into an all evening thing, waking up hung over on a Saturday or Sunday could prevent you from getting everything you’re looking forward to get done. I knew if I wanted to make big changes in my life for my health it would have to include having a healthier relationship with alcohol, so far my golden rules are after nearly 4 months of sobriety is no drinking during the week, and don’t let alcohol get in the way of stopping you from your goals and plans for the next day. I was hesitate to let myself even allow alcohol in my life but my mindset has changed so much over the last several months that even the few times I’ve allowed myself to have alcohol I usually say ehh I’m not really missing out on anything. Oh to answer your last question yes 8 hours a night minimum no matter what!!

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Well if you get a scope for the meniscus you’ll likely be able to still curl, albeit with discomfort. That ain’t going away ever. Had my fifth scope in January, just happened to be the second on the same knee, 370 days apart. :nod:
Thanks! I think as tempting as it is to get it cleaned out, I will defer as long as I can. Lets see what happens.. :)

The good news is I can jog again, successful trial happened yesterday (only a klick). No pain at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: buggs and Buffdog

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
It’s completely changed my life around. I never really realized how bad it was, having to have a couple of drinks every time I was watching sports, or associating social settings with drinking. Learning to enjoy a Jets game, or being around good company without drinking was a shockingly hard thing to do. A few things I noticed about cutting out alcohol was the deeper quality of sleeps I was getting. Being able to fall asleep sooner and get into a deeper sleep without waking up throughout the night, having more energy throughout my day, better mental clarity and one of the most underrated things was all the extra time I had with a clear mind. I didn’t realize how time consuming alcohol can be, a few drinks with friends can turn into an all evening thing, waking up hung over on a Saturday or Sunday could prevent you from getting everything you’re looking forward to get done. I knew if I wanted to make big changes in my life for my health it would have to include having a healthier relationship with alcohol, so far my golden rules are after nearly 4 months of sobriety is no drinking during the week, and don’t let alcohol get in the way of stopping you from your goals and plans for the next day. I was hesitate to let myself even allow alcohol in my life but my mindset has changed so much over the last several months that even the few times I’ve allowed myself to have alcohol I usually say ehh I’m not really missing out on anything. Oh to answer your last question yes 8 hours a night minimum no matter what!!

Awesome @jetsfan91 !

Both sides of my family are heavy drinkers.

I was fortunate that my Dad let me taste his beer at age 8.

It tasted awful and to this day I have not consumed a single drop of alcohol.

I remember going to parties in College and being the only one who was completely sober.

Hooked up with a lot of girls cause the other guys got so drunk they couldn't get it up! :laugh:

Keep it up!! :thumbu:

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Tried a block therapy inspired yoga session. Not sure how I feel about it. Shoulders, lats were definitely looser and more mobile the following day.

Haven't had time to lift the past few days, including today. Hopefully back on the grind tomorrow and next week.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
After a rough weekend and 4-5 days overall, back at it. Not sure if it'd dampen my strength (physically or mentally), but overall good session.

Flat Db press
120*10
125*2*8
120*8

Inc Db press
100*2*8
105*8

Cambered bar bench
245*3*6-8

Cable Flies
3*slow as f*** concentration on contraction. No idea on reps.

Did another block/yoga session. Definitely helping open up my scalpula a bit more. Will be doing a back workout tmrw so will see how the pulling movements are affected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardian17

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Sumo DL
452*5*7

Conventional Deficit DL
382*3*6

Safety Bar Good Morning
245-275*3*~8

Hip adduction / abduction
3* alot.

Today's workout fueled by East India Company buffet from yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad