OT: Workout/Lifting/General Fitness & Nutrition Thread

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
bump

gyms/studios closed again, how are people staying active?

i actually tore my right Lat at the end of september so last couple months has been kinda whatever for lifting. uni-lateral stuff, higher reps, not as much barbell work. was doing hot yoga 2x/week which was pretty cool. it sucks, but not much i can do right now. have some atrophy going on in my right lat so just trying to rebuild muscle/strength/ROM

got 20s, 35s, 40s, 65s, 80s for dumbbells. a bench, various bands. so trying to make it work.

been skipping rope a lot (HIIT: 5 mins on, 1m 15sec off)

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I used to work out long, long, long ago but stopped...
Picked it up again, only for COVID to shut me down...
Then picked it up again again, only for a new born to shut me down again...
Then picked it up again again again...

Powerlifting. Obviously very evidence based diet, supplements, and training.

I'm still in novice stage of having my maxes go up each week...
S 345#
B 235#
D 455# (sumo, conventional is about 30-50ish pounds less)
O 195#

Long arm gang lol...

Good resources I like for solid information:
* Dr. Mike Israetel (Renaissance Periodization)
* Greg Nuckols (Stronger by Science, MASS)
* Dr. Eric Helms (3DMJ, MASS)
* Chad Wesley Smith (Juggernaut Strength)
* Dr. Brad Schoenfeld
* Jeff Nipard
* Dr. Layne Norton (mentioned already here)

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

S 345#
B 235#
O 195#

Long arm gang lol...
How is Ur ohp only 40 lb less than your bench lol

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
To be fair my maxes aren't true maxes because I'm not maxing out and the estimates are going up easily by 4-8% a week lol.

Haven't benched or OHP under 5 reps, squatted under 3 reps, or DL under 4 (except for sub maximal effort stuff).
ah i see. yea the bench and OHP estimates look funky lol. if my OHP was 40 lb under my bench id be ecstatic haha

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

S 345#
B 235#
O 195#

Long arm gang lol...

Good resources I like for solid information:
* Dr. Mike Israetel (Renaissance Periodization)
* Greg Nuckols (Stronger by Science, MASS)
* Dr. Eric Helms (3DMJ, MASS)
* Chad Wesley Smith (Juggernaut Strength)
* Dr. Brad Schoenfeld
* Jeff Nipard
* Dr. Layne Norton (mentioned already here)
Those aren't novice numbers, unless you're comparing yourself to established powerlifters.

I'm in the same long arm and leg club (with similar lift numbers). Your overhead press strong.

A bunch of my jiu jitsu buddies were lamenting the inability to train and how it's hard to stay on a healthy path without something to tether to so we're doing a pre-christmas weight loss challenge. Only been a couple of days but man, I find it way easier to make good choices when I have a reason other than "I oughtta"

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
ah i see. yea the bench and OHP estimates look funky lol. if my OHP was 40 lb under my bench id be ecstatic haha

I just realized a typo... my OHP is 185... not that will that error mean much as according to my growth and estimated slowdown, I should hit that by mid January.

Those aren't novice numbers, unless you're comparing yourself to established powerlifters.

I'm in the same long arm and leg club (with similar lift numbers). Your overhead press strong.

A bunch of my jiu jitsu buddies were lamenting the inability to train and how it's hard to stay on a healthy path without something to tether to so we're doing a pre-christmas weight loss challenge. Only been a couple of days but man, I find it way easier to make good choices when I have a reason other than "I oughtta"

I follow the Greg Nuckols thought where novice/intermediate/advanced has more to do by how often you improve, not how strong you are in relation to others. My OHP is going up about ~5lbs every 2weeks, the rest weekly for ~5lbs (DL slowing down the fastest of the 3).

For the OHP look above about 10lb being off from typo (sry lol), albeit it's only 10lbs so that isn't huge off but ya that matters haha.

But yes go long arm and leg club!

Ya it's tough. Challenges would be fun. For me I had a bit of a scare with heart palpitations when I just had my first born so that got me into things. I'm down in weight by about 20lbs which is nice.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I just realized a typo... my OHP is 185... not that will that error mean much as according to my growth and estimated slowdown, I should hit that by mid January.

I follow the Greg Nuckols thought where novice/intermediate/advanced has more to do by how often you improve, not how strong you are in relation to others. My OHP is going up about ~5lbs every 2weeks, the rest weekly for ~5lbs (DL slowing down the fastest of the 3).

For the OHP look above about 10lb being off from typo (sry lol), albeit it's only 10lbs so that isn't huge off but ya that matters haha.

Ya it's tough. Challenges would be fun. For me I had a bit of a scare with heart palpitations when I just had my first born so that got me into things. I'm down in weight by about 20lbs which is nice.
Gotta love those 2.5lb plates. They're where the magic happens.

Congrats on the little one. When my first was born it was the most I've ever let myself slide.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

nice. at my peak i was hitting 187ish lb for 6-7 reps, a little lower than my BW. Think my paused bench max was 362 at the time. no idea what ohp max was.

these days probably cant ohp 135 b/c of my lat :laugh:

today's home lower body workout

Goblet squats 5xAMRAP (80 lbs)
Straight leg dead lift DB 4xAMRAP (80 lb)
Walking lunges 4x8-10 per legt (40-65 lb per hand)
Leg extensions 4xAMRAP (40 lb dumbbell b/w the legs)

weighted planks, ab wheel and leg raises for some core

lots of AMRAP since weights are not as heavy

Last edited:

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
bump

gyms/studios closed again, how are people staying active?

I’m staying active by building a gym in my basement. So far I have a good kettlebell set, a rip trainer, a TRX, a good matt and a ton of rollers and bands for mobility work etc.

My custom squat rack with adjustable pull up and land mine add-one arrived today but I can’t find barbell/plate combos anywhere. Everything in stores and online is sold out! So I guess I’ll stick to my “go-to move” and do bicep curls while standing in the squat rack for hours on end.

YellowheadChiefs

Jan 31, 2019
Ordered myself a bunch of stuff from Bells of Steel. Expensive, but since gyms are first to get shut down, I figured I'll just lift in my garage from now on.

Totals so far:
Bench 265 RPE9
Squat 425 RPE8
Deadlift 470 RPE6.5

Reactions: mazmin and DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ordered myself a bunch of stuff from Bells of Steel. Expensive, but since gyms are first to get shut down, I figured I'll just lift in my garage from now on.

Totals so far:
Bench 265 RPE9
Squat 425 RPE8
Deadlift 470 RPE6.5
how much did it run you? what bars did you get?

YellowheadChiefs

Jan 31, 2019
how much did it run you? what bars did you get?

I'm pushing three grand including horse stall mats and the rack and bench. Bare Naked Powerlifting Bar 2.0.

Should be here within the next couple of weeks, dumbbells are boring already. Was having a huge week 4 of my cycle when the closure happened, coach was sad lol.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
how's lifting going for everyone?

hit conventional deads today

402x7
377x4x4-7
dead shrug - 360x3x5 (3 reps of shrugs b/w each DL rep. so 1 set is 5 DLs and 15 shrugs)

bulgarian split squats with the dumbbells (tip: if you have a portable decline bench at your gym, use the ends as the piece to put your foot up. natural curvature of the pad will make it much smoother than using a reg. bench)
4x12+

DB SLDL
4x12+

did some weighted planks and and weighted ab wheel at home

burgers for the game tonight :D

Reactions: Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
As an update to me, my squat and dead keep going up but bench hasn't moved and OHP went down technically but I actually stopped doing OHP so that's why.
I just cut out the OHP too. 10 years of a nagging rotator cuff injury is long enough

I set a goofy goal to see how long I can deadlift 10X my age. I turn 45 soon and I just pulled 450 (fairly easily).

I'm thinking with steady training and good luck, I can make it into my late 50s/early 60s before I stop making gains, plateau, and then eventually lose some strength

With the weather turning, I'm getting the urge to work some mountain biking and jogging into my routine. My cardio sucks

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Major props.
Hopefully i can be hitting those numbers at that age.

Are you typically a sumo or conventional puller?
I just cut out the OHP too. 10 years of a nagging rotator cuff injury is long enough

I set a goofy goal to see how long I can deadlift 10X my age. I turn 45 soon and I just pulled 450 (fairly easily).

I'm thinking with steady training and good luck, I can make it into my late 50s/early 60s before I stop making gains, plateau, and then eventually lose some strength

With the weather turning, I'm getting the urge to work some mountain biking and jogging into my routine. My cardio sucks

ello

Jun 12, 2018
As an update to me, my squat and dead keep going up but bench hasn't moved and OHP went down technically but I actually stopped doing OHP so that's why.
my bench stalled for a whole calendar year once (sep 2019 to march 2020) and almost had me contemplating quitting lifting lol

Starting creatine's helped a lot and I rotate between flat dumbbells and barbells whenever I plateau. Was around 265 march 2020 and just hit 300 right before the second lockdown this November. I just got 245 for 7 yesterday so hopefully strength comes back quick and I can crack three plates finally

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
My Ohp has basically stalled for 3 years :laugh:
my bench stalled for a whole calendar year once (sep 2019 to march 2020) and almost had me contemplating quitting lifting lol

Starting creatine's helped a lot and I rotate between flat dumbbells and barbells whenever I plateau. Was around 265 march 2020 and just hit 300 right before the second lockdown this November. I just got 245 for 7 yesterday so hopefully strength comes back quick and I can crack three plates finally

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
10 years? Ouch, I feel like mine is never going to heal and it's been a couple of years now.
It's It's weird. Usually OHP doesn't bother me, but if i reach into the cupboard wrong for a coffee cup, it hurts like hell.

Someone in the booloo thread was talking about shoulders and labrum. Such a shallow joint (more of a tea cup in a saucer than a ball and socket). More mobility than the hip but less stability. Sometimes little nicks just don't heal. Ironically, I have a "pin" (more like a deck screw) in my other shoulder from chronic dislocations in my early 20s. It's my "good shoulder" now lol

Reactions: Saitama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad