OT: Workout/Lifting/General Fitness & Nutrition Thread

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Wow just realized we had a thread on this. Good shit.

I've been running a program called nSuns (from a Reddit user of the same name) since March 18, 2019. ‎nSuns 5/3/1 Great app that someone made for it, too. High, high volume that will kill you if you're not ready for it. I came into it from the ICF 5x5, my first program. When I started I could bench 195lbs for 5, squat 225 for 5 and I think deadlift 275 for 5. I forget what my overhead press was but it was weak. Almost a year later and now I can bench 250lbs for 3, squat 305 for 3, deadlift 355 for 3 (I use straps when my grip gives out) and OHP 165 for 3 (did 175 for 1 once).

Been using an Instant Pot for over a year, too, but recently got into pan-frying my chicken and really started to nail a tasty recipe with just spices. Right now I'm cutting, at a slight deficit, trying to see if I'll recomp a bit. I should be bulking since it's still winter but YOLO.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Wow just realized we had a thread on this. Good shit.

I've been running a program called nSuns (from a Reddit user of the same name) since March 18, 2019. ‎nSuns 5/3/1 Great app that someone made for it, too. High, high volume that will kill you if you're not ready for it. I came into it from the ICF 5x5, my first program. When I started I could bench 195lbs for 5, squat 225 for 5 and I think deadlift 275 for 5. I forget what my overhead press was but it was weak. Almost a year later and now I can bench 250lbs for 3, squat 305 for 3, deadlift 355 for 3 (I use straps when my grip gives out) and OHP 165 for 3 (did 175 for 1 once).

Been using an Instant Pot for over a year, too, but recently got into pan-frying my chicken and really started to nail a tasty recipe with just spices. Right now I'm cutting, at a slight deficit, trying to see if I'll recomp a bit. I should be bulking since it's still winter but YOLO.
That's very good progress, especially on the bench.

Reactions: irunthepeg

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
That's very good progress, especially on the bench.

Thanks, man. I definitely f***ed around for a long time on squats. It wasn't until last summer when I finally started to seriously progress on it because I used to always end up with some slight knee pain. I adjusted my form (pointing toes out more, stance wider) and then I started shooting up to where now I'm almost at 3 plates for multiple reps. I could get it for one but I don't go for single PRs ever. I'm 5'10 and I feel like I have relatively short arms so I find I can do well on bench and OHP but squat and DL I find more difficult with good form but I'm working on bringing those up. I hope to get to 405 on DL this year. Squat I don't really have a goal but if I could get to anywhere around 350lbs I'd be happy. Bench, I'd love to get to 275lbs this year and OHP if I crack 200 I'd be ecstatic.

Mainly right now I want to hit the 1,000lbs club for S/B/D.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, man. I definitely f***ed around for a long time on squats. It wasn't until last summer when I finally started to seriously progress on it because I used to always end up with some slight knee pain. I adjusted my form (pointing toes out more, stance wider) and then I started shooting up to where now I'm almost at 3 plates for multiple reps. I could get it for one but I don't go for single PRs ever. I'm 5'10 and I feel like I have relatively short arms so I find I can do well on bench and OHP but squat and DL I find more difficult with good form but I'm working on bringing those up. I hope to get to 405 on DL this year. Squat I don't really have a goal but if I could get to anywhere around 350lbs I'd be happy. Bench, I'd love to get to 275lbs this year and OHP if I crack 200 I'd be ecstatic.

Mainly right now I want to hit the 1,000lbs club for S/B/D.
I do not do much barbell back squats anymore. i f***ing hate them lol. I do a lot of safety bar squats which engages my core and quads heavily. Are you doing low bar or high bar for squads? Conventional or Sumo for DL?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Just wanted to chime in that I'm doing intermittent fasting. Diet hasn't really changed. Still eating what I want to, just less of it. Walking more. Pounds are just falling off
I've been IF'ing for two years now. The great thing about it is that if you don't do it for a day or so, who cares, just jump back in.

I also do Keto most of the time, but that's different where cheating will take you out of ketosis and it takes a little time to get it back. Although I've been doing that long enough that I get back into ketosis quick.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Honestly moving to France has done wonders for my diet, not that I was particularly unhealthy or even overweight before I came. Sure there's a ton of sugary and greasy foods here, but it's the culture and structure around eating that's really helped. Breakfast is black coffee, fruit and maybe either a pastry or some kind of biscuit, just enough to hold you over until lunch which is a decent three course meal. Then something light again for dinner like soup or a salad. Fast food is quite expensive, so why eat it when you can get a decent restaurant meal for the same price or less? Restaurants close in the afternoons between lunch and dinner, and there's little to no snacking which means there's far less opportunity to graze on crap food. And compared to NZ at least, there's a massive variety of healthy canned and frozen foods at the supermarket so it's super easy get a decent meal even if you don't like cooking all that much. Combine that with an incredibly walkable city well-served by public transport and recreation facilities at decent prices... it's just so much easier to live a balanced healthier lifestyle here. And still enjoy all the wine.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I do not do much barbell back squats anymore. i f***ing hate them lol. I do a lot of safety bar squats which engages my core and quads heavily. Are you doing low bar or high bar for squads? Conventional or Sumo for DL?

So nSuns is interesting because it has you doing back squats, front squats, sumo and conventional DL. I do low bar. I've always found it more natural to me. I also have purchased a trap bar so I will use that for trap bar DLs as accessories. I prefer conventional to sumo as that's what I started with and have gotten all my PRs with but I bet I could maximize sumo more if I got into it. I occasionally will squat high bar for accessory lifting.

I would love to get a SSB one day. I wish I also had like a hack squat machine but I don't have the space for it haha.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So nSuns is interesting because it has you doing back squats, front squats, sumo and conventional DL. I do low bar. I've always found it more natural to me. I also have purchased a trap bar so I will use that for trap bar DLs as accessories. I prefer conventional to sumo as that's what I started with and have gotten all my PRs with but I bet I could maximize sumo more if I got into it. I occasionally will squat high bar for accessory lifting.

I would love to get a SSB one day. I wish I also had like a hack squat machine but I don't have the space for it haha.
Jeez that's a lot haha. If you were to compete i guess you're doing low bar/sumo?

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Jeez that's a lot haha. If you were to compete i guess you're doing low bar/sumo?

Honestly, at this point, probably low bar and conventional just because I've never gone above 250lbs on sumo, cause it's always the volume day that I do sumo. Yeah the program is intense. It will kick your ass.

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON
I've been IF'ing for two years now. The great thing about it is that if you don't do it for a day or so, who cares, just jump back in.

I also do Keto most of the time, but that's different where cheating will take you out of ketosis and it takes a little time to get it back. Although I've been doing that long enough that I get back into ketosis quick.
I did keto a number of years ago. It was fine when I was single, but my fiancee would never do keto and she's the one who cooks (don't worry, I do the dishes). IF'ing is great because I can still eat the same foods as her

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Honestly, at this point, probably low bar and conventional just because I've never gone above 250lbs on sumo, cause it's always the volume day that I do sumo. Yeah the program is intense. It will kick your ass.
I see i see. my leverages are far better for sumo, and the only time i have ever hurt myself in the gym was doing conventional deadlift. I have done 447 x 10 for sumo, but for conventional my 10 rep max is probably 405-415 lol.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I see i see. my leverages are far better for sumo, and the only time i have ever hurt myself in the gym was doing conventional deadlift. I have done 447 x 10 for sumo, but for conventional my 10 rep max is probably 405-415 lol.

That's big boy weight, very nice.

I had a really weird off day yesterday. I've gotten 305lbs for 3 on squat before and 310 for 2. I deloaded last week down to 295 for my top set (got it for 3), then build up to 300 this week. Got one rep, went for a second and failed hard. I think it was partially due to me working out later than usual as I had an appointment after work and so I was super hungry/low energy by the time I was starting my workout. I should have eaten first and then worked out. Oh well, live and learn.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That's big boy weight, very nice.

I had a really weird off day yesterday. I've gotten 305lbs for 3 on squat before and 310 for 2. I deloaded last week down to 295 for my top set (got it for 3), then build up to 300 this week. Got one rep, went for a second and failed hard. I think it was partially due to me working out later than usual as I had an appointment after work and so I was super hungry/low energy by the time I was starting my workout. I should have eaten first and then worked out. Oh well, live and learn.
yeah 2020 has been a bit rough. started out sick at the beginning of january, then came back tried to much weight to fast and jacked up my glute a bit so January was a bit of a write-off. getting back roughly to where i was to end 2019.

i got OHP tonight

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I did keto a number of years ago. It was fine when I was single, but my fiancee would never do keto and she's the one who cooks (don't worry, I do the dishes). IF'ing is great because I can still eat the same foods as her

IF is definitely more socially acceptable, because all you have to do is not eat all day, then you're free to do pretty much anything for a few hours in the evening which is the time that most social events take place. Luckily for me, my wife and I and one daughter decided to do Keto all at the same time. My wife dropped out, because it raised her cholesterol levels, while it actually fixed mine, so we're all different I guess. She still eats very clean, but with less meat and cheese. My one daughter is Vegan and Keto, talk about having to be creative! But some of the meals she makes are delicious.....

What Keto did for both of us though is got us into the habit of reading every single label on anything in a package. It's made us much healthier eaters even when we're not Keto.

Reactions: purdy44

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
What's the best way to increase squat weight. Man, I have such difficulty with this. I have a squat rack at home, but I just am so weak squatting.

I think my best ever was about 175 while doing the 5x5 program. Lately, I've just been doing about 150 for more reps. Mind you I don't want to get hurt because I'm old :)

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON
IF is definitely more socially acceptable, because all you have to do is not eat all day, then you're free to do pretty much anything for a few hours in the evening which is the time that most social events take place. Luckily for me, my wife and I and one daughter decided to do Keto all at the same time. My wife dropped out, because it raised her cholesterol levels, while it actually fixed mine, so we're all different I guess. She still eats very clean, but with less meat and cheese. My one daughter is Vegan and Keto, talk about having to be creative! But some of the meals she makes are delicious.....

What Keto did for both of us though is got us into the habit of reading every single label on anything in a package. It's made us much healthier eaters even when we're not Keto.
I looked like a million bucks on Keto. Now I look like a million pounds

Reactions: Howard Chuck

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What's the best way to increase squat weight. Man, I have such difficulty with this. I have a squat rack at home, but I just am so weak squatting.

I think my best ever was about 175 while doing the 5x5 program. Lately, I've just been doing about 150 for more reps. Mind you I don't want to get hurt because I'm old :)
best way to increase a specific lift, is to do the lift more.

run some variations; tempo squats, paused squats, different rep ranges and sets as well. Work on flexibility and mobility (Supple Leopard is a great resource, but you can look online for some great movements to help) and hit the core hard (planks, leg raises, cable crunches, ab wheel).

some other movements i like that will help build muscle involved in squatting - Bulgarian split squats with DBs, Deadlifts (of any kind, conventional, sumo, straight leg etc) and lunges.

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

run some variations; tempo squats, paused squats, different rep ranges and sets as well. Work on flexibility and mobility and hit the core hard (planks, leg raises, cable crunches, ab wheel).

some other movements i like that will help build muscle involved in squatting - Bulgarian split squats with DBs, Deadlifts (of any kind, conventional, sumo, straight leg etc) and lunges.

You seem quite knowledgeable @DRW204 Keep the posts coming dude.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

run some variations; tempo squats, paused squats, different rep ranges and sets as well. Work on flexibility and mobility (Supple Leopard is a great resource, but you can look online for some great movements to help) and hit the core hard (planks, leg raises, cable crunches, ab wheel).

Thanks. I'm getting tired just reading this :)

Seriously though I need to take this seriously, because although I don't skip leg day, I obviously need to work on it more. It's key to everything I like to do.... hiking, biking, running etc. I do worry about overtraining or injury at 56 though.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

Like DRW says, squat more. All those variations are great. Add more volume. More sets. More reps. I will say, you can determine where you're weak at and stuff like hip thrusts can help with squats. Same with lunges, sumo, trap bar deadlifts can have some carryover to quad strength.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm guessing you're long limbed?

Whenever I feel like I'm getting strong I google "powerlifting records for female high school athletes"

YellowheadChiefs

Jan 31, 2019
Two Saturday’s ago, hit 3x6 of 350 for squat and 2x6 of 385 for deadlifts. Starting to deload for squats so I can hit 405 2x6 in the coming weeks.

Someone asked earlier, no I don’t do OHP as it’s useless. If I want a better bench, I simply bench.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Like DRW says, squat more. All those variations are great. Add more volume. More sets. More reps. I will say, you can determine where you're weak at and stuff like hip thrusts can help with squats. Same with lunges, sumo, trap bar deadlifts can have some carryover to quad strength.

Ok, you guys have convinced me, I'm going all in on legs for the next month or so, and I'll see where it gets me! I needed a kick in the butt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad