OT: Workout/Lifting/General Fitness & Nutrition Thread

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm actually going to start a different program and learn more about RPE since the 3x6 squat is killing me at this stage. This Saturday my 3x6 was 345lbs, four reps is very easy, those last two are just draining. Deadlifts were at 375lbs. On my paused day I usually do about 30lbs lighter on each lift. My 6x3 bench this week will be 205, 3x7 185, and 4x5 195.

I do plan on competing in meets yes, I just would prefer to have overall higher lifts. I don't go for PR's often, and you shouldn't and like these are from July lol... 250 bench, 410 squat, 440 deadlift. With the volume I'm pushing for reps now I'm certain those lifts have gone up a good number (except bench, I really wanted to fix my grip width and arch) and that'll be good. I'm not there to win my first meet but to have fun and learn how it works. I have a buddy who is actually going to worlds in Belarus in the future.
What has worked for me for bench is finding the proper footing and flexing my glutes for leg drive. I also do a shit load of back/traps work (weighted pull ups, various rows, and bent over cable shrugs) and standing OHP which helped blow up my bench. I had a bit of a shoulder injury in the summer so I only started going hard again recently. Hit 302*4 paused the other day, think at my peak I comfortably hit 307*5 paused so getting close.

OHP is an absolute bitch of a lift to progress in though. But once u get the form down it'll help translate to your bench.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Not sure where you get that from. The only thing your body doesn't need is carbs.
Did I say your body only doesn't need meat?

The only thing your body doesn't need is carbs? No, your body doesn't need simple carbs is more accurate.

I'm not going to turn this thread into a hardcore nutritional discussion, but rest assured the human body does not need meat to survive.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

The only thing your body doesn't need is carbs? No, your body doesn't need simple carbs is more accurate.

I'm not going to turn this thread into a hardcore nutritional discussion, but rest assured the human body does not need meat to survive.
Gluconeogenisis says that the body doesn't need carbs (glucose and glycogen can both be manufactured with amino acids and the glycerol molecule from triglycerides during lypolosis). Only your eurrythrocytes need glucose for fuel, and your body makes more than enough for that.

While you may not *need* meat, it's the best source of amino acids if you look at amino acid profiles and bioavailability. 1.2 million years of evolution agree.

And you're right, this is better off as a physiology/biochemistry thread than a nutrition one because at the end of the day, that's what we're talking about

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Don't have to exercise , i lift and pull heavy crap at work 5 days a week . :laugh:

How can that be ?? -- 5 days a week ? -your on here everyday -7 days a week ? --you must work midnights, and not sleep at all. :nod:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I've been doing a mild version of "the Murph" for the past 5 weeks (much watered down).

Run 2 miles - goal to get HR over 160 beats/min. Usually 8:30 min pace.

100 pushups
100 pull-ups (counterweighted 55 lbs - I can't do anywhere near my weight = 205)
100 squats

Run 1 mile - 8:30 pace

stretch.

100 pushups is great --all I can do is 50, and I thought I was doing good. Also I'm trying to get my 1 mile under 9 minutes -- I'm a little over 9 minutes right now. Problem is I miss for periods of time, and then regress, and I think you have to do it continually to build up stamina.

How these world call athletes run the mile in 4 minutes or under --is totally beyond me ? That is like running at almost full speed. I'd think I was Superman if I could do that. That 4 minutes, is one fast torrid pace.

I usually work out 2-3 times week to stay strong, but I don't have any heavy weight to use in my house, and too much time to go to the gym. I use lighter weight, and finish with 50 pushups and 90 situps -- takes me about an hour, and keeps mt fit.

I do miss not having a bench, and about 180 lbs of weight to do bench press. I probably can't do that much weight right now, so I'd have to start light, (maybe 120 ?) and build up to where I used to be, and that is 4 sets of 8 with 170 lbs. Kept me very strong. That was quite a long time ago tho.

Important thing for everybody is to develop the discipline to keep up a regular routine. You'll look better and feel better. Also hard exercise is great for your mental health in my opinion. It wards off depression, and makes you feel better.

I see to many people in their 50's and 60's walking around with canes and that sort of thing --so it pays to stay fit, if you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard Chuck

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Its already gone some two decades from my days of athleticism, but I was avid swimmer. Long distances on the edge of aerobic and anaerobic exercises. 3 to 5 times a week for about 15 to 30 kilometers per week, in a short indoor swimming pool. I was in damn good condition then. Today all I have left from those efforts is the muscle memory for swimming techniques. Then, those distant days I also made often long hiking trips in a woods during summer time, occasionally also during winters, and several very long journeys in a wildernesses of Lapland (hundreds of kilometers per trip).

Never 'pumped iron' but I know what it is to be in great overall physical condition.

Wow, that's amazing. My physical activity is similar, all swimming and hiking, but I don't do half the distances you do. :laugh:

I've always been fit, but never strong. I'd like to do a little strength training but I've only just rebuilt my routine in a new country so it can wait. My new city is excellent for walking and cycling so I try to get around 13k steps a day. I only swim once a week for now because the pool opening hours are possibly the worst I've ever seen. Hopefully I'll get to hike some of the Pyrenees in summer.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Wow, that's amazing. My physical activity is similar, all swimming and hiking, but I don't do half the distances you do. :laugh:

I've always been fit, but never strong. I'd like to do a little strength training but I've only just rebuilt my routine in a new country so it can wait. My new city is excellent for walking and cycling so I try to get around 13k steps a day. I only swim once a week for now because the pool opening hours are possibly the worst I've ever seen. Hopefully I'll get to hike some of the Pyrenees in summer.

That was, as said, over two decades ago. I actually miss that guy who I was. Fit, healthy, proactive. Before mental issues (of manic-depressive spectrum).

Now nearly all physical activity is gone from my life, not including usually physical jobs I have done for years. Currently, unemployed, a prisoner of sofa (and HF) with severe bronchitis due heavy smoking. Too much alcohol lately and low quality foods. No significant mention-worthy social contacts, no friends, bad situation economically, no long term strategy or prospects to the life. Latest ex just throw me out about month ago. Severely depressive mindset, and rabidly changing moods. My life generally suck deep currently, that deep it is almost hilarious to me. (yes, you can learn a lot about depressions too when depressed routinely over two decades. If I feel suicidal -grade moods these days, I just think "Ah. This shit again! It will go over soon enough!") :confused:

Whatever, that old fit, long ranger me is still living in me in dormant mode, as if I sometimes, hopefully soon enough, get a necessary uplift to my life, a reason, and motivation back to my life, I'm 100% sure I can easily recover also fitness-wise: that is one of my least concerns currently.

I really miss to Lapland. Freedom of lonely wandering. Beautiful scenes...

My record in mosquito killing is 37 confirmed with one strike. :laugh:

(NO! Nobody should feel concerned about me now. That's how it is currently, and I can manage with it. I've already survived 20+ years "post-mortem",)

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
That was, as said, over two decades ago. I actually miss that guy who I was. Fit, healthy, proactive. Before mental issues (of manic-depressive spectrum).

Now nearly all physical activity is gone from my life, not including usually physical jobs I have done for years. Currently, unemployed, a prisoner of sofa (and HF) with severe bronchitis due heavy smoking. Too much alcohol lately and low quality foods. No significant mention-worthy social contacts, no friends, bad situation economically, no long term strategy or prospects to the life. Latest ex just throw me out about month ago. Severely depressive mindset, and rabidly changing moods. My life generally suck deep currently, that deep it is almost hilarious to me. (yes, you can learn a lot about depressions too when depressed routinely over two decades. If I feel suicidal -grade moods these days, I just think "Ah. This **** again! It will go over soon enough!") :confused:

Whatever, that old fit, long ranger me is still living in me in dormant mode, as if I sometimes, hopefully soon enough, get a necessary uplift to my life, a reason, and motivation back to my life, I'm 100% sure I can easily recover also fitness-wise: that is one of my least concerns currently.

I really miss to Lapland. Freedom of lonely wandering. Beautiful scenes...

My record in mosquito killing is 37 confirmed with one strike. :laugh:

(NO! Nobody should feel concerned about me now. That's how it is currently, and I can manage with it. I've already survived 20+ years "post-mortem",)

Mental health has been one of the biggest drivers behind my physical activity, but also why I can't do too much of it. Sure I'd love to hit the pool every day and take up going to the gym but if I don't set aside enough time to take care of my work, apartment, friendships and just rest, I'd decline pretty quickly. Even just little things like planning my meals at least somewhat ahead of time and giving myself enough time to shop for and cook simple healthy food has made a huge difference. Despite everything going well with my move around the world, it's taken about six months to figure out my new normal, for my gut and immune system to settle down, and to build a routine to keep me healthy. One casualty has actually been the Jets. There's no way I can do 1-3am starts, so that's why I don't post in the hockey threads anymore. I read what I can but I can't keep up with what's going on really.

I hope for you one small change can snowball into others, and you can manage even better and enjoy some positive results, even small victories.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
@flyingkiwi: Thanks. I think the biggest long standing physical problem to me has been and (mental health wise) is also working currently in other-wise functional metabolism, is that there are always "lags" during springs. Apparently adaptation to changing amount of light doesn't work enough fast, melatonine and other related brain-fluids cannot handle with it, and that triggers my normal spring-depressions. I've learned to accept that, and handle with it. Current extra tress coming from life circumstances doesn't help either.

Its sunny day outside, but nothing on the earth makes me want to go out to take a walk before dark has come, if even then. I understand very well the importance of physical activity, and counter-productive effects of substance abuse/use (of any kind, including various meds so often recommended by docs, but nevertheless messing things up more than they really help - at least me) for bipolaric mind particularly, but the reality itself doesn't always work like is said in a doctor's Medicine book. I accept momentary loss of storage fat and muscle mass by own choice if it has proven to be good way to get rid of worst moods and feelings. Maybe unhealthy way yes... But... [very big but].

HF is time sink. Time sinks are sometimes good to have. :)

PS. as this is also general fitness thread, it can be noted also that its possible to a human to kill him/herself only by overdriving thinking process. That's not my worry currently, and if it goes to that I'd be much more alarmed than I ever be even in my deepest states of depressions. Uncontrollable manic overdrive can burn your body mass incredibly fast, while causing severe state of insomnia. After 3 or 4 days there are imminent and immediate risk of sudden death at worst, but psychosis at least. Few more days and you're likely flown over the cuckoos nest.

It is possible to think yourself to the death, and deplete all easily available energy resources of your body without any physical body exercises involved. Such condition is extremely dangerous.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

How can that be ?? -- 5 days a week ? -your on here everyday -7 days a week ? --you must work midnights, and not sleep at all. :nod:
Yup , i'm a nights guy , you sleep a little here and there . :laugh:

Reactions: GNP

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
this thread could (and should) probably have nutrition/supplements added to the title, since they are large and relevant inputs to overall fitness.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Have ran 5 full marathons, maybe 20 halfs. Think those days are over now though. Nowadays just do 5k jogs almost every day, plus light weights, body weight exercises, and stretching.

Sounds like your very fit. There's no use in putting on heavy muscle, especially when you get a little older. That extra weight puts a lot of stress on your joints when you run etc. Better off to stay light and lean, and your likely live a lot longer.

It's nice to have a little extra muscle -etc, if anybody decides to jump you, and you know you have that power when you need it. That doesn't happen often in life though. Probably better off to stay lean, strong, and fit and eat a healthy diet IMO.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
My neighbor goes to the gym everyday but won't grab a shovel and shovel some snow , neither will his 20 year old son who goes to the gym with him . Must always be too tired from working out . :help:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

Sounds like your very fit. There's no use in putting on heavy muscle, especially when you get a little older. That extra weight puts a lot of stress on your joints when you run etc. Better off to stay light and lean, and your likely live a lot longer.

It's nice to have a little extra muscle -etc, if anybody decides to jump you, and you know you have that power when you need it. That doesn't happen often in life though. Probably better off to stay lean, strong, and fit and eat a healthy diet IMO.

That's what I'm thinking now. I went through a phase in my 20's and early 30's where I'd be lifting weights every day. Wanted big arms and chest and all that. Mostly about vanity, really. Then in my late 30's I switched to running a lot, starting with half-marathons then eventually progressing to full marathons. That was about the challenge and pride of completing endurance races, and the social aspect and comradery.

Now in my late 40's, I think more about health, balance and longevity, especially with 50 around the corner. I don't want to get big (either muscle or fat) because that's harder on my heart, as well as my joints. But, I still want to be able to lift things, and do a few sports, and look good in a t-shirt :) so I still do some weight training.

I have no interest in running marathons any more, but I think being able to run a few miles at the drop of a hat is probably good for the ticker and the waistline, and for the pending zombie apocalypse. Now I'm also trying yoga and more stretching to help with overall mobility; I would think that increased flexibility helps with everything. So, it's all about physical balance now between strength, endurance, and mobility as opposed to being obsessed with one activity.

In addition, starting with 2020 I'm just trying to eat better. Lower sugar, lower fat, lower carbs. Taking steps to lower my cholesterol. Eating at least one raw salad every day, cooking with leaner proteins, adding things into my diet like nuts, avocados, greek yogurt. Less bread and potatoes. Having more 'dry' nights, where I go out but don't order an alcoholic beverage. I've never had to watch what I ate before; but as age creeps in I now realize I can't out-train a bad diet and that I really should pay more attention to micro-nutrients and what I am putting inside my body.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
That's what I'm thinking now. I went through a phase in my 20's and early 30's where I'd be lifting weights every day. Wanted big arms and chest and all that. Mostly about vanity, really. Then in my late 30's I switched to running a lot, starting with half-marathons then eventually progressing to full marathons. That was about the challenge and pride of completing endurance races, and the social aspect and comradery.

Now in my late 40's, I think more about health, balance and longevity, especially with 50 around the corner. I don't want to get big (either muscle or fat) because that's harder on my heart, as well as my joints. But, I still want to be able to lift things, and do a few sports, and look good in a t-shirt :) so I still do some weight training.

I have no interest in running marathons any more, but I think being able to run a few miles at the drop of a hat is probably good for the ticker and the waistline, and for the pending zombie apocalypse. Now I'm also trying yoga and more stretching to help with overall mobility; I would think that increased flexibility helps with everything. So, it's all about physical balance now between strength, endurance, and mobility as opposed to being obsessed with one activity.

In addition, starting with 2020 I'm just trying to eat better. Lower sugar, lower fat, lower carbs. Taking steps to lower my cholesterol. Eating at least one raw salad every day, cooking with leaner proteins, adding things into my diet like nuts, avocados, greek yogurt. Less bread and potatoes. Having more 'dry' nights, where I go out but don't order an alcoholic beverage. I've never had to watch what I ate before; but as age creeps in I now realize I can't out-train a bad diet and that I really should pay more attention to micro-nutrients and what I am putting inside my body.

Well said, and I agree with what you say. I'm older than you, but still weigh the same as I did in high school. If you stay away from sugars, eat a lot of chicken and fish, fruits and veggies --along with decent exercise, as you do --I think we'll both be just fine.

I thinks sugars ( soda pop) and fatty foods ( deep fried etc) is what causes many health problems. There is already a diabetes crisis developing in North America -- I won't be one of them, although I love a good chocolate bar now and then. :) You have to reward yourself.

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
I'm surprised I see so much running in here Though I'm not sure of everyone's age, holy hell is it hard on your joints lol.
I turned 40 this year, play hockey 3 to 4 times a week, try and go to the gym 3 times a week, though usually ends up being 2 lol.
Workouts are usually 45 mins of cardio of some type (you want HiiT? Go on a air bike, do 30 seconds at full tilt, 30-60 second rest for 15 mins... Man oh man, that's brutal) then lots of different lifting and leg stuff. Just wing it for the most part.

I only started going last year, specifically to get leg strength up for hockey. Summer is lots of biking. Father in law is a knee surgeon and pretty much scared me straight out of running lol. I try and do stuff not hard on my knees and hips. Being 6'3 220 isn't the ideal runner type lol.

Last edited:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm surprised I see so much running in here Though I'm not sure of everyone's age, holy hell is it hard on your joints lol.
I turned 40 this year, play hockey 3 to 4 times a week, try and go to the gym 3 times a week, though usually ends up being 2 lol.
Workouts are usually 45 mins of cardio of some type (you want HiiT? Go on a air bike, do 30 seconds at full tilt, 30-60 second rest for 15 mins... Man oh man, that's brutal) then lots of different lifting and leg stuff. Just wing it for the most part.

I only started going last year, specifically to get leg strength up for hockey. Summer is lots of biking. Father in law is a knee surgeon and pretty much scared me straight out of running lol. I try and do stuff not hard on my knees and hips. Being 6'3 220 isn't the ideal runner type lol.

Good idea for heavy framed guys "not" to jog long distances. Most guys I know like this have already had hip or knee replacements. Even the skinny guys have problems with their knees -- but not near as bad.

Reactions: TheGovernment

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Currently 30, got strong for the 1st time when I was 22 and then just let it slide (guess I was tired of all the health benefits and female attention??)

Trying to get back into shape. Doing 50 pushups and 20 pullups a day and light cardio. Going to hit the gym when I build up the courage to work out away from my television. In the summer I usually bike the 12k to work.

Used to run, but no more running for me outside of road hockey. My poor sister is 27 and was a uni volleyball and indoor soccer player. Her knees, shoulders and back are so messed up from all the impact that she cant even get down the stairs sometimes. Shes a teacher and taught her last class the other day lying down on a gym may they had to bring in for her. No thanks.

Reactions: TheGovernment

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

Well said, and I agree with what you say. I'm older than you, but still weigh the same as I did in high school. If you stay away from sugars, eat a lot of chicken and fish, fruits and veggies --along with decent exercise, as you do --I think we'll both be just fine.

I thinks sugars ( soda pop) and fatty foods ( deep fried etc) is what causes many health problems. There is already a diabetes crisis developing in North America -- I won't be one of them, although I love a good chocolate bar now and then. :) You have to reward yourself.

Yeah all in moderation, I think. Gotta live a little...mental health is part of it too. I enjoy cooking and trying different cuisines, and the social aspect of indulging in a few drinks or game days or 'burger week' or whatever. Just try not to make your indulgences the go-to regular thing.

Example, two of my favorite meals in the world are probably 1) A good burger and fries 2) fried chicken. The last time I ate a hamburger was in September; I had two during burger week. The last time I had fried chicken was once during the 'fried chicken fest' with a friend. Same with pizza; I love a good pizza, but the last time I ordered a pizza was in December at Trans Canada Brewery (fantastic and I ate the whole thing). As for pop...I have a single can of Pepsi in my fridge. It is probably 5 months old.

Yet, there are people who have pizza, burgers, fried chicken, and pop several times a week or every day, and it's probably really doing a number on them.

All that said, cutting down on the pints I haven't been nearly as successful at!

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah all in moderation, I think. Gotta live a little...mental health is part of it too. I enjoy cooking and trying different cuisines, and the social aspect of indulging in a few drinks or game days or 'burger week' or whatever. Just try not to make your indulgences the go-to regular thing.

Example, two of my favorite meals in the world are probably 1) A good burger and fries 2) fried chicken. The last time I ate a hamburger was in September; I had two during burger week. The last time I had fried chicken was once during the 'fried chicken fest' with a friend. Same with pizza; I love a good pizza, but the last time I ordered a pizza was in December at Trans Canada Brewery (fantastic and I ate the whole thing). As for pop...I have a single can of Pepsi in my fridge. It is probably 5 months old.

Yet, there are people who have pizza, burgers, fried chicken, and pop several times a week or every day, and it's probably really doing a number on them.

All that said, cutting down on the pints I haven't been nearly as successful at!
They say health is 80% kitchen and 20% gym. I’d have to say from my experience I believe that. Nothing makes a bigger difference in how I look and feel than what I regularly eat. Exercise helps of course, but it’s amazing how poorly we eat as a society. Socially if you don’t want a drink or don’t eat much, you cAn be a pariah these days.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Gluconeogenisis says that the body doesn't need carbs (glucose and glycogen can both be manufactured with amino acids and the glycerol molecule from triglycerides during lypolosis). Only your eurrythrocytes need glucose for fuel, and your body makes more than enough for that.

While you may not *need* meat, it's the best source of amino acids if you look at amino acid profiles and bioavailability. 1.2 million years of evolution agree.

And you're right, this is better off as a physiology/biochemistry thread than a nutrition one because at the end of the day, that's what we're talking about

Meat is strictly bad for you in all situations in first world countries, unless you are truly in an area where you cannot be a vegan hipster.

I don't condemn anyone but we should get this right. Meat is not good for you, but it can be necessary to eat in some parts of the world.

I posted an interview between the Game Changers guy and his "arch nemesis" on the previous page of this thread. I highly recommend that!

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Meat is strictly bad for you in all situations in first world countries, unless you are truly in an area where you cannot be a vegan hipster.

I don't condemn anyone but we should get this right. Meat is not good for you, but it can be necessary to eat in some parts of the world.

I posted an interview between the Game Changers guy and his "arch nemesis" on the previous page of this thread. I highly recommend that!
I've seen the interview. In my opinion, Kresser crushed him. I'm really curious why you think meat is bad for you. It's just not true.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I've seen the interview. In my opinion, Kresser crushed him. I'm really curious why you think meat is bad for you. It's just not true.

IMO, the body language alone, and the fact that Kresser did not even want to say any final words kind of indicate that by no means did Kresser crush anything. Even his capabilities to understand the data were limited, nor did he even adhere to industry-standard classifications. His nutritional advice were also all over the place.

Meat causes inflammation and it clogs up your arteries causing weak boners etc. The oxidization effects also are not good for you, and if you do eat meat, you should eat plants as well to counteract that effect. Of course, if you eat only a plant-based meal, the antioxidants will go directly to your body, which is why vegan athletes recover faster.

I'm not a specialist in this area for sure but that was the longest three hours of Kresser's life.

I urge anyone to watch it themselves, it's a long one but you will learn a lot. People are biased with all things so always look for yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->