Words NHL fans need to remove from their vocabulary

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
When Eddie Olczyk says “See how he gets inside the dots there.” when a player takes an open lane to the middle of the ice, like he did something crazy.

Or the “see how he turns his top hand over” when taking a backhand shot, as if it’s a magic trick and not the normal physics of a backhand shot.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
A lucky team might have two. Most teams would be happy to have one.

Colorado probably has several which is an outlier at the best of times.

If disagree. I'd... wait, I feel we had this exact same argument exactly when Montreal was losing to Toronto last time while I was sitting in this exact same chair.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Offsides might make more sense though? It’s what seems to be in common usage, and if you think about it like “two sides of the line, he is on the wrong side, he is off on his sides”.. either way, it’s never bugged me. Most of these seem silly, generational is the only one that’s actually a problem and that’s just because it’s become half a meme here on HF.

The etymology of the term stems from early soccer rules (which early hockey copied) where forward passes (and in the earlier half of this early era, closer to the attacking goal than the ball/puck at all). A player in violation of this rule was said to be "off his side of the ball." Pluralizing it doesn't really make sense if you consider the origin of the term, but language does evolve, and that includes etymologically inaccurate words, such as "funguses" now being an acceptable pluralization of "fungus" instead of insisting on "fungi."

Then again, English doesn't actually have an official governing body for the language, unlike, say, metropolitan French (though L'Académie Française is a bunch of pretentious blowhards).

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think offsides is actually more technically "correct" than offside, it's just become less common in North American English (esp. in hockey parlance) over the decades. But I would not say it's wrong, or discourage anyone from saying it.

I'm over 40, and my best friends and I are academics, so "celly" is not a word I've ever heard anyone say. Certainly sounds stupid.

The "generational" thing seemed to kick in about ten years ago (?), and now everyone is saying it. I guess I'm fine with it, but the problem is you can't apply it to multiple people of the same generation. And one generation is usually about 25 years. So, for example, Crosby and McDavid cannot both be generational players. So, in practical terms, the word is pretty useless.

Some hockey terms commonly used by broadcasters are strange. The weirdest, perhaps, being "makes no mistake". What the hell is that? We always hear it when broadcasters / sports-highlight show hosts describe a nice goal/shot. Why is always used in hockey? I have no idea. Imagine you were watching sports highlights of the NBA, some guy made a 3-point shot, and the commentator (repeatedly) said: "...and he does not shoot in error!"

Reactions: Off Sides

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
When you go to NHL shop, it’s called a jersey.

I wear a jersey for all sports.

I wear a sweater for walks on the beach or in the mountains.

agree... celly is lame / embarrassing. Kevin Weeks uses celly on NHL channel. AAARRrrrggghhh!! Moron!!!

I'm always out on an island with this one. Most of the guys I play hockey with call it a jersey now but there's a few hold-outs.

Called a sweater because Canada grew-up playing hockey outside and it needed to be warm - so not far from your walk in the mountains mention. I also have always like the small differences in sports wording. Soccer kit, football jersey, hockey sweater, etc.

Everyone uses 'celly'. It just sounds so moronic. I honestly have felt physically cringe sometimes.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
To be fair, assets is used to describe people management a lot in the business world. When I was running a business, I would often use asset management in terms of how to best utilize persons. The people weren't the assets, what they brought to the table was.

I get it, I do. I use the word 'asset' in my life also in that context where a person brings an 'asset' or I have an 'asset'.
But the context that it's used now is that the people are the assets. It just bothers me. Like - 'Team X have these assets they can trade away.' It's just such a armchair GM thing to me.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
The etymology of the term stems from early soccer rules (which early hockey copied) where forward passes (and in the earlier half of this early era, closer to the attacking goal than the ball/puck at all). A player in violation of this rule was said to be "off his side of the ball." Pluralizing it doesn't really make sense if you consider the origin of the term, but language does evolve, and that includes etymologically inaccurate words, such as "funguses" now being an acceptable pluralization of "fungus" instead of insisting on "fungi."

Then again, English doesn't actually have an official governing body for the language, unlike, say, metropolitan French (though L'Académie Française is a bunch of pretentious blowhards).

whoa, sweet sweet knowledge, thanks!

Reactions: Summer Rose

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Pretty common discussion term in all sports though, hockey is lucky because it's indisputably Gretzky
People also like to discuss how historically great Ovi is at scoring goals

Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr spring to mind. It's more like a holy trinity.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Drives me nuts how often certain words get thrown around, so let's start a list of words not to use anymore

#1 Offsides: it's offside singular
#2 Generational: these players come around once in a while, not every year
#3 Franchise Player: this isn't EA
#4 Celly: this one just bothers me, no other reason

Franchise Player as a term pre-dates the video game. Teams use it all the time.

I agree on celly, though.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Hyperbole is a word that should be removed from HF vocabulary.

That word gets used more often then not out of context.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Targetted more at media members than fans, but the word "benefactor" obviously can't be used responsibly, so it probably shouldn't be used at all.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Player nicknames, which are almost always just a truncated name with an S or a Y added, being used in interviews/by broadcasters is super cringey.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Advanced stats

If you feel like disliking Bergeron for any reason, he was essentially the advanced stats poster boy when the idea was growing and he proved them right by being Bergeron, not flashy but incredibly effective and tilts the ice. Ever since fans are trying to trot out 'advanced stats' to 'prove' some point or the other.
I'm not even really against them either, but it's back to armchair GM style of fans again.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Butch Goring: and he scored that one up in the toy department.

I watch every islanders game and cringe every time. Still not even sure what the analogy is.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
#1. shouting "HOW MUCH TIME IS LEFT?!" before the 1 minute warning PA at stadiums.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad