Words NHL fans need to remove from their vocabulary

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
"Finish your check"

Literally, that means hitting players even if they don't have the puck anymore. Which is the exact definition of interference.

Nope, it means to not turn away if you're within the ~sticklength of the player that makes it not interference. But to do so almost always means committing to the check, and committing to the check while being able to close the gap without exposing your lane makes someone a damn effective forechecker

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Some commentators use baffling terminology

“Waffleboarding”— this is why I would’ve preferred Gary Thorne and Bill Clement since like forever

“paddle” - when referring to a goalie’s stick
Thorne and Clement were great together. My favorite announcing duo.
Emrick always said waffle board, maybe even came up with it. Old school blockers all had the “dots” on them like Driedger’s retro set. Kind of, sort of, looked like a waffle. The paddle of the goalie’s stick, the wide part resembles a paddle for a canoe.
LPXYPKKNENBTRKBBPFQK4WBQAI.jpg

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

kaptaink

Apr 26, 2017
I think offsides is actually more technically "correct" than offside, it's just become less common in North American English (esp. in hockey parlance) over the decades. But I would not say it's wrong, or discourage anyone from saying it.

Wondering how you feel offsides is "more technically correct"?
A player is whistled for an off-side play, singular. A player skates past one blue line for an off-side, again singular. NHL rule 83.1 lists it as off-side, no plural

Reactions: Off Sides

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I think the trend that celly is born from is unfortunately spreading. When I worked in a shop tendy, chesty, warmies, praccy, and conky all started popping up. Between that and adding -sy to everyone’s last name, hockey players are starting to sound like toddlers.

I can rationalize both offside and with the -s, but I think the singular is more correct.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yes please to no more Celly and Generational. And any cheddar references as well.

Also "keep your head up" in response to an obviously illegal hit. It shows up so often in those threads you'd think people were using it sarcastically but they usually aren't.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Nope, it means to not turn away if you're within the ~sticklength of the player that makes it not interference. But to do so almost always means committing to the check, and committing to the check while being able to close the gap without exposing your lane makes someone a damn effective forechecker

That's a very fancy way to describe interference.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Haha it's what the team and reporters call him too!

I don't think it's going away. Most people don't seem able to spell his name either
KK for Kotkaniemi makes absolutely no sense. His initials are JK, ”Kotka” literally means ”Eagle” so makes absolutely no sense to shorten it as KK either. There are multiple actual KK’s in the league so it’s not just stupid but also confusing.

Like these current players all come in my mind before Kotkaniemi when talking about KK :

Kirill Kaprizov
Kaapo Kakko
Kaapo Kähkönen
Kasperi Kapanen
Kasimir Kaskisuo
Keith Kinkaid
Keegan Kolesar
Karson Kuhlman

And then we decide to call someone named Jesperi Kotkaniemi KK? That’s absolutely terrible.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The word "discomfort" is used far too often by announcers during play.

"Looks like he's in some discomfort."

"That will cause some discomfort."

I think of like, a lumpy bed when I think of discomfort.

Discomfort is when you've got a piece of leftover steak stuck between your teeth and you have no floss or toothpick around.

I had discomfort when I was on a plane for awhile and all of the bathrooms were occupied by like an hour.

He just took a puck to the 'nads. He's in -pain-.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertocarlos

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
The hate towards Celly here is eye-opening. I guarantee your favourite player today has used that word in the last week. All your favourite athletes are "bros" except in front of the camera.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Is this like a recent hockey thing? Like 2014 recent? I've been involved in sports and on this board for a long time and never had I heard the word "celly" other than here on hfboards. I almost want to say it has it's origin here especially given that it seems like such a forced and extremely silly abbreviation
Bwhahahhahahahaha wat?

The term "celly" came from EA sports games as far back as NBAive98 =D =D =D

But now it originated here

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
don't stop posting

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Is it just terms at this place?

I once got into a heated debate/argument where a poster here said he was qualified to GM a real NHl team because he won three cups in NHL2K.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Wondering how you feel offsides is "more technically correct"?
A player is whistled for an off-side play, singular. A player skates past one blue line for an off-side, again singular. NHL rule 83.1 lists it as off-side, no plural

But there are two sides to the line man, so you are off on your sides. Because the puck carrier also factors in, so it’s plural, it’s collective, it’s a team sport. Offsides as in you two were in sides off from one another, therefore whistle.

This is the hill I die on.

Reactions: Off Sides

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad