Words NHL fans need to remove from their vocabulary

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The "generational" thing seemed to kick in about ten years ago (?), and now everyone is saying it. I guess I'm fine with it, but the problem is you can't apply it to multiple people of the same generation. And one generation is usually about 25 years. So, for example, Crosby and McDavid cannot both be generational players. So, in practical terms, the word is pretty useless.
I agree except I think maybe 10-15 years instead of 25, because a hockey career / generation doesn't last 25 years.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Really nothing wrong with Franchise or celle

EA has little do with a term franchise player

It means it's a guy you build around and sign long term. Figure it out

Also celle is just slang for celebration . Get over it

Reactions: J bo Jeans

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Drives me nuts how often certain words get thrown around, so let's start a list of words not to use anymore

#1 Offsides: it's offside singular
#2 Generational: these players come around once in a while, not every year
#3 Franchise Player: this isn't EA
#4 Celly: this one just bothers me, no other reason
A guy had five offside in a game , sounds great.

Reactions: Off Sides

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
Whenever commentators use the term "real estate" to describe how certain hockey players manage to generate more space on the ice.

Also, can we stop labeling human beings as "products"?

Example: [hockey player's name]: a [university/college] product.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
The etymology of the term stems from early soccer rules (which early hockey copied) where forward passes (and in the earlier half of this early era, closer to the attacking goal than the ball/puck at all). A player in violation of this rule was said to be "off his side of the ball." Pluralizing it doesn't really make sense if you consider the origin of the term, but language does evolve, and that includes etymologically inaccurate words, such as "funguses" now being an acceptable pluralization of "fungus" instead of insisting on "fungi."

Then again, English doesn't actually have an official governing body for the language, unlike, say, metropolitan French (though L'Académie Française is a bunch of pretentious blowhards).
Funguses? Really?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
A guy was offside five times in a game.
True but why can't it be plural

They also probably use so and so or a team had whatever amount of offsides to save time talking so they can jam it in before play or a commercial starts.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Asterisk - everyone is on a similar playing field and no one cheated. Let it go.

Generational - these guys come around every 5-10 years at best. Not 2.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Asterisk - everyone is on a similar playing field and no one cheated. Let it go.

Generational - these guys come around every 5-10 years at best. Not 2.

People were spoiled by Gretzky, Lemieux, and Hasek all playing at once. Made then think generational talents were a routine occurrence. The math says, it may be 30-40 years before we see another true generational talent

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Some commentators use baffling terminology

“Waffleboarding”— this is why I would’ve preferred Gary Thorne and Bill Clement since like forever

“paddle” - when referring to a goalie’s stick

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
This morning I went outsides to take out the trash. The bin is besides my shed. My wife stayed insides with my son.

That's how ridiculous it sounds when someone says "that play was offsides"/ "he was offsides"

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer Rose

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can't believe I just read 273 posts and my biggest pet peeve wasn't listed.

COMPLEMENTARY

It means that a player complements another player, and works well with them.

COMPLIMENTARY

It means that a player says a lot of nice things about other people, giving out compliments.

There are literally hundreds of complimentary players out there according to HFers when in reality there's just Wayne Gretzky.

kaptaink

Apr 26, 2017
Offsides might make more sense though? It’s what seems to be in common usage, and if you think about it like “two sides of the line, he is on the wrong side, he is off on his sides”.. either way, it’s never bugged me. Most of these seem silly, generational is the only one that’s actually a problem and that’s just because it’s become half a meme here on HF.

Using your stance above "he is off on his sides" is weird. A player only has one side of the blue line they are called off-side on

Reactions: Off Sides

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad