Words NHL fans need to remove from their vocabulary

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Drives me nuts how often certain words get thrown around, so let's start a list of words not to use anymore

#1 Offsides: it's offside singular
#2 Generational: these players come around once in a while, not every year
#3 Franchise Player: this isn't EA
#4 Celly: this one just bothers me, no other reason

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Drives me nuts how often certain words get thrown around, so let's start a list of words not to use anymore

I 100% agree with you on #1. Drives me crazy too. Glad you said it.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Intangibles.

Most contributions can be measured. We just don’t have the stats yet to do it.
I’d take prime Toews because he shut down other teams top players and scored key goals in the playoffs.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017

Is this like a recent hockey thing? Like 2014 recent? I've been involved in sports and on this board for a long time and never had I heard the word "celly" other than here on hfboards. I almost want to say it has it's origin here especially given that it seems like such a forced and extremely silly abbreviation

Reactions: MikeyMike01

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Offsides might make more sense though? It’s what seems to be in common usage, and if you think about it like “two sides of the line, he is on the wrong side, he is off on his sides”.. either way, it’s never bugged me. Most of these seem silly, generational is the only one that’s actually a problem and that’s just because it’s become half a meme here on HF.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey

I use Offside, but it is important to know in the USA hockey rule book uses and calls it Offsides.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Is this like a recent hockey thing? Like 2014 recent? I've been involved in sports and on this board for a long time and never had I heard the word "celly" other than here on hfboards. I almost want to say it has it's origin here especially given that it seems like such a forced and extremely silly abbreviation

Taught some Cali hockey kids and it was definitely a term with them, but so was pretty much everything else. So it’s OP hating on the slang used by the young’uns, yeah.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Yes, if we could all agree to leave this in the dustbin of history, I think it'd do everyone a bit of good.

Also, if we could stop talking up terrible players by mentioning that they're good "in the room," that'd be great. There have to be better ways of saying they benefit team chemistry than that.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Don’t you ever tell me how to live my life again
F3KQEAM.gif

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
All the various words that don't really mean anything concrete and are used to justify seemingly nonsense opinions: intangibles, enigmatic, truculence, ainec, generational, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->