Words NHL fans need to remove from their vocabulary

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
But there are two sides to the line man, so you are off on your sides. Because the puck carrier also factors in, so it’s plural, it’s collective, it’s a team sport. Offsides as in you two were in sides off from one another, therefore whistle.

This is the hill I die on.

1 - "He definitely looked offside there" - adverb, which cannot be plural. Saying "He definitely looked offsides there" is a billion percent incorrect. Unfortunately the adverb version of offside is the one people the spam the most as "offsides". "Offside" with any of "looked/were/are" is an adverb and cannot be "offsides".

2 - "That was an offside goal" - adjective modifying the noun "goal", is not plural, this isn't latin. "That was an offsides goal" is incorrect because it's one goal and it's offside once. To denote plural you would say "There were several offside goals". Saying "offsides goals" is incorrect. You don't say - "He ate several larges pizzas/I love those greens trees"....You might say - "he ate his Greens" because here greens replaces vegetables, which is a noun. Again, this isn't a romantic language. The noun denotes number, the adjective does not need to match it - you're saying offsides by trying to use the adjective to modify a noun that doesn't even exist in the sentence. It's an offside goal. No where in the sentence does the word "line" appear, which would need modification from the adjective "offside".

NOUN (which CAN BE plural) - Offsides doesn't really work as a noun. You can't explain a noun passively.
Off on your sides =/= offsides, it equals off sides (two words). EXAMPLE = "A triangle has three sides. I'm looking at the front side, not the two off (think 'back sides") sides". The sides are nouns now, as they are in your line example.​

Also, the puck carrier doesn't really factor in, only the puck does in relation to the guy that's off side.

kaptaink

Apr 26, 2017
But there are two sides to the line man, so you are off on your sides. Because the puck carrier also factors in, so it’s plural, it’s collective, it’s a team sport. Offsides as in you two were in sides off from one another, therefore whistle.

This is the hill I die on.
huh?? if you are on 1 side of the line how is it sides, how is one possibly plural? There is only one side of the line you are called off-side on. Once a player enters the zone legally they can't be called off-side on the defenders side of the zone until they leave and reenter the zone. I will stick with the official NHL rule book version which is off-side

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
This thread is literally a bunch of crotchety old folks complaining about slang and the evolution of language.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->