Words NHL fans need to remove from their vocabulary

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Hockey IQ. It's like a pseudo-intellectual way of describing intangibles like instinct, higher level of processing the game etc, but it's almost always just thrown into the conversation without context

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The dumbest thing I ever heard was a dude I played beer league with referred to practice as “praccy.” I don’t even know if that’s how you spell it. It hurts just thinking about it. I feel like where I played when I was younger you’d get your asked kicked for saying something like that.

A group I played with referred to a sandwich as a sand-o. They were alright guys, but bro- you aren’t even saving any syllables.

There's like a hundo of those abbreviations, saves time if you use them all :laugh:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
GOAT should go away because it's so sorely abused.

Pretty common discussion term in all sports though, hockey is lucky because it's indisputably Gretzky
People also like to discuss how historically great Ovi is at scoring goals

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Pretty common discussion term in all sports though, hockey is lucky because it's indisputably Gretzky
People also like to discuss how historically great Ovi is at scoring goals

Then you have them calling McJesus, Matthews GOAT. That's what I mean by abuse.

Reactions: jetsforever

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
On these boards most need to get rid of ”McDavid is the best center”.

Those lowlifes have no clue how a center shall play. McDavid is the best skater with puck on blade. That’a it. He is useless CENTER.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Is this rulebook referring to one offside, or to multiple situations?

'Offsides' is the correct plural, but is most often used in the singular, which is wrong.

If one linesman calls every offside in the game, then he called all the offsides, and his partner called none.

USA Hockey Rule 630 is "Off-Sides". Off-sides is used throughout the rule specifics though there are a couple of references to when a player is off-side.

I don't get why this is such a big deal to people either way.

Growing up in the Detroit area in 70's and 80s I recall it always being referred to as off-sides (and we watched HNIC and Wed night Leaf games religiously) , and now it some major breach of etiquette, kind of like referring to the British Open as the British Open, the way it was in the U.S. in the 70's and 80's.

I know there was a re-branding at some point to go back to the origins of the tournament, but to me it will always be the British Open. Just like the Sears Tower will always be the Sears Tower and the Discover Central Division will always be the Discover Central Division.

Last edited:
Reactions: Off Sides

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Drives me nuts how often certain words get thrown around, so let's start a list of words not to use anymore

#1 Offsides: it's offside singular
#2 Generational: these players come around once in a while, not every year
#3 Franchise Player: this isn't EA
#4 Celly: this one just bothers me, no other reason
Damn. Well done. I agree with this all.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Sucks, blows, AF, WTF, freaking, frickin', What the F, etc.

Maybe I'm just too old st 61, but all of these words are gross and sound low class....even uneducated, at least to me. "Suck" was not a word yet uttered when I grew up or in college, except regarding sucking through a straw.

I realize some or even most here and elsewhere who use these words are educated and have compelling posts and usually write well, so it's even more annoying that they resort to these words.

The two Boston sports radio stations are a non-stop party of these words, from the hosts and callers. Even regular radio talk shows have hosts and callers, males and sometimes females, employing such "words."

And yes, I do realize I'm in a small minority feeling this way.

Would Doc Emrick ever downgrade himself on tv with such garbage? No, and that's one reason he has class.

Here's one I hate, but also perfectly applies here:

Okay boomer.

Reactions: ShonSaunders

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad