WJC Prospects

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's an old, old joke I was reminded of from the Around the NHL thread. I think like three people will get it. Completely superfluous and easily ignored, I assure you.

And I'm glad to hear your guy is saying the kid looks good. We really need a few steals to break through. A guy like a Klingberg to fall into our laps, eh?

Keep your bench bucks for a while, you have earned them....:laugh:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
For a big strong 1st rounder playing against his age group, Svechnikov has had an extremely forgettable tournament so far despite Russia doing fine.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
For a big strong 1st rounder playing against his age group, Svechnikov has had an extremely forgettable tournament so far despite Russia doing fine.
I don't think he's been bad, but he looks like he has zero chemistry with this team. Through two periods today, he's competed hard and won board battles, and it's meant almost nothing. There's never a player near him to support the play. Svechnikov is trying to grind it out and cycle the puck a bit, and that's not really how the Russian team is doing things.

In particular, Svech is getting eaten up by backcheckers. He wins the battle against the defenseman, but a forward comes back and takes the play away. And he doesn't look fast enough to dangle around on the bigger ice.

That said, I think things would be very different on a NA size ice surface. It's not that he's been bad, it's just that he isn't doing what the rest of the team is doing.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don't think he's been bad, but he looks like he has zero chemistry with this team. Through two periods today, he's competed hard and won board battles, and it's meant almost nothing. There's never a player near him to support the play. Svechnikov is trying to grind it out and cycle the puck a bit, and that's not really how the Russian team is doing things.

In particular, Svech is getting eaten up by backcheckers. He wins the battle against the defenseman, but a forward comes back and takes the play away. And he doesn't look fast enough to dangle around on the bigger ice.

That said, I think things would be very different on a NA size ice surface. It's not that he's been bad, it's just that he isn't doing what the rest of the team is doing.

Regarding the bold, Chemistry seems like an odd issue to have considering his junior teammates from the Q is leading the Russians in points. That said, I do like the simplicity (for a lack of better term) of his game; a "skilled grinder" would be a nice piece to add to the future core/top 6.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Like what I have seen from Hicketts, despite that silly own-goal. Knew he was built solid and could be physical against some in the CHL, but it was reassuring see him take down guys like Timo Meier, and some other bigger guys.

Despite his CHL production, not sure he is going to be an offensive defenseman at the next level. His all-around game is probably better than I gave him credit for though, so he may be ok. Still think he's a long shot, but like what I saw from him.

Saarijarvi needs to start gaining weight ASAP. Otherwise, I really like him.

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Like what I have seen from Hicketts, despite that silly own-goal. Knew he was built solid and could be physical against some in the CHL, but it was reassuring see him take down guys like Timo Meier, and some other bigger guys.

Despite his CHL production, not sure he is going to be an offensive defenseman at the next level. His all-around game is probably better than I gave him credit for though, so he may be ok. Still think he's a long shot, but like what I saw from him.

Saarijarvi needs to start gaining weight ASAP. Otherwise, I really like him.

Glad to see you warming up to the kid Frk It. As I have said before, this kid has an ability to go up a weight class and fight for space on the ice. This alone, gives me hope for him because he does have solid skill and vision.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
It's always good to remind yourself that the tournament is almost entirely meaningless for judging prospects.

I remember Klingberg being as bad as, maybe even worse than, Rundblad(both of them giveaway fests unlike ever seen before). One is playing top line minutes, the other just cleared waivers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's always good to remind yourself that the tournament is almost entirely meaningless for judging prospects.

I remember Klingberg being as bad as, maybe even worse than, Rundblad(both of them giveaway fests unlike ever seen before). One is playing top line minutes, the other just cleared waivers.

Then you have guys like Kucherov who showed extremely well, and went on to follow that up with being an absolute steal.

Wouldn't call it meaningless.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300

It's actually a huge measuring stick for prospects. It's a competitive all-star tournament for players.

That said, it's much more about offense than defense. That's why players that typically standout are forwards and goalies

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Saarijärvi is injured. :( Walking with crutches on the Arena currently.

Finland has to push the Czech game through with only 4 defencemen.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Saarijärvi is injured. :( Walking with crutches on the Arena currently.

Finland has to push the Czech game through with only 4 defencemen.

Oh no! Hopefully it's nothing serious.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Homer with his best game in the tournament so far tonight. Has had some nice battles with Hicketts aswell.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Homer with his best game in the tournament so far tonight. Has had some nice battles with Hicketts aswell.

I'm fine with a guy that plays for nothing in 82 games then scores 500 goals in 16 when the games truly truly matter :)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ken Holland must love Saarijärvi. Vili was interviewed before the Championships for Finnish media and said that he has no hurry at his development to jump at higher league from juniors, and/or has no hurry to jump from AHL to NHL later on career.

So he has taken that overripening program already on his mind. He could be that extra year at juniors and be in AHL as long as he loses his waiver-exemtion. But he realizez the fact that it just goes that way. As a small-sized player, you have to bulk up some extra compared to big-sized guys, and it takes more years to be ready.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ken Holland must love Saarijärvi. Vili was interviewed before the Championships for Finnish media and said that he has no hurry at his development to jump at higher league from juniors, and/or has no hurry to jump from AHL to NHL later on career.

So he has taken that overripening program already on his mind. He could be that extra year at juniors and be in AHL as long as he loses his waiver-exemtion. But he realizez the fact that it just goes that way. As a small-sized player, you have to bulk up some extra compared to big-sized guys, and it takes more years to be ready.

Because of him being in Flint he has been around quite a bit, remember them showing him at the Joe for Fedorov night. He gets to hear that message and their plan probably more than most. Good to hear he has bought in though.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Svechnikov was less than invisible in the 20 or so minutes I watched of the trapfest Russia-Denmark. Awful tournament for him.

Holmstrom almost scored a shorty against Slovakia. He was alone against 2 defenders.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Homer has no confidence in his finishing abilities right now, but other than that he's been getting better every game. Hopefully saving the goals for the best of times.

Really like Juolevi for Finland. Always has his head up, very smart player. Something for the draft thread..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad