WJC Prospects

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I just see the reason we drafted him. Sure he's big, but otherwise everything I've seen is he's ok not great. Could very well be a starter in the the European leagues. Just don't see him becoming a back up in the NHL.

As always with prospects I'm down on, I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not down on JVP, but I'm down on drafting goalie projects in the first place. There's a constant market of strong undrafted 20-23 year olds either via college or Europe who are much closer to being NHL ready aswell. Sign them for organizational depth and spare the draft picks for other positions.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I mean, I have to assume JVP is playing in front of a garbage defense that gets pretty much dominated routinely. Can't help his stats. At least he was player of the game against Canada.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I just see the reason we drafted him. Sure he's big, but otherwise everything I've seen is he's ok not great. Could very well be a starter in the the European leagues. Just don't see him becoming a back up in the NHL.

As always with prospects I'm down on, I hope I'm wrong.

Just so you know, most organizations give their prospects more than half of a season post draft year before they write them off. Based on your logic we should also be questioning why we drafted Svech.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
SWE loses :(

:handclap: :nod: :yo: :thumbu:

Svechnikov looked playing net-front role as their "Abdelkader" and Kamenev was the line leader.

What I've learned, Svechnikov carries his own line at junior team so different role has hurt his game a bit at this tournament.

But it's good he is already getting a taste of his future Wings duty. :)

Finland-Russia is the Final. Funny how this Finland is kind of built like usual Russian teams and this Russia is built like usual Finland. :amazed:

Very interesting game tomorrow. Your Golden generation just rocks!

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Just so you know, most organizations give their prospects more than half of a season post draft year before they write them off. Based on your logic we should also be questioning why we drafted Svech.

I know, hence why I never said anything along the lines of writing him off. Just said I don't get it, don't see why he was picked.

What exactly is my logic though? Can't imagine I posted enough for you to make that Svech strawman. :shakehead

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I know, hence why I never said anything along the lines of writing him off. Just said I don't get it, don't see why he was picked.

What exactly is my logic though? Can't imagine I posted enough for you to make that Svech strawman. :shakehead

Like JVP, Svech has been "ok but not great" in the WJC. If the WJC is your basis for discounting JVP's chances of developing as a professional goaltender, you should feel the same way about Svech off of this WJC performance. "I don't see why he was drafted" and "I just don't see him as a backup in the NHL" sounds a hell of a lot like you are writing him off six months after being drafted. Furthermore, you aren't exactly going out on a limb with such a prediction. We are talking about a fourth-round pick. The probability of any fourth rounder carving out an NHL career is statistically pretty slim to begin with.

I suspect that if you asked Holland or Wright why he was drafted they would tell you that professional scouts who watch young players for a living thought that he had enough tools and athleticism to develop into an NHL goalie after several years of additional development. It's the NHL, not the NFL. You don't draft players for what they are on draft day, you draft them based on what you project that they will become with additional development. This is why I am not going to lose sleep over Svech's WJC performance.

For the record, I have no idea what JVP will develop into in the future and am honest enough to admit it.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Back in 2013-14 before moving to North America, Svechnikov had 0 points in 4 games at the Ivan Hlinka and 0 points in 5 games at the Jr.A Challenge. The year before, 1 point in 3 games at the U17 youth olympics.

So, just imagine he never played at the WJC and everything looks fine again ;)

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Back in 2013-14 before moving to North America, Svechnikov had 0 points in 4 games at the Ivan Hlinka and 0 points in 5 games at the Jr.A Challenge. The year before, 1 point in 3 games at the U17 youth olympics.

So, just imagine he never played at the WJC and everything looks fine again ;)
That's the thing. He wasn't any good at the past Super Series, either. He's got some quality about him where he never plays well for Russia. It's been that way for a long time now. My guess is it's a stylistic thing.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
That's the thing. He wasn't any good at the past Super Series, either. He's got some quality about him where he never plays well for Russia. It's been that way for a long time now. My guess is it's a stylistic thing.

Probably. Russia is like a small quick pass shoot quick type of team

Svech is kind of patient. At least more then that team

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What's the deal with this Korshkov kid? Is he draft eligible? If not, can we please sign him?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
What's the deal with this Korshkov kid? Is he draft eligible? If not, can we please sign him?
Undrafted -96 kid, so it's his third time available this coming June. He's definitely been very noticable and is showing a nice power porward skills set. He caught my eye last season and was on my list for the draft but probably didn't get enough attention to be picked as an overage KHL 4th liner. This time around he's obviously on the radar so I bet some team will take him.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

When I hear of undrafted Russian Kids I think of that article that Larionov wrote where he mentions how Pav was passed over twice and how there are hidden Pavels still in Russia. We need to find some.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
When I hear of undrafted Russian Kids I think of that article that Larionov wrote where he mentions how Pav was passed over twice and how there are hidden Pavels still in Russia. We need to find some.

I'd rather they be looking for a Konstantinov or two but I understand the point he was making.

Though with Pavs specifically given the era and training threshold we are in players such as him will soon become extinct. The one and only way I would compare pavs to great one is that they both had a similar up bringing. The hours upon hours of skating and playing in a structure and coach free environment to facilitate there creativity is quite quickly vanishing. And both where basically forged by playing pond hockey away from coaches that would turn them into systems robots.

I mean look at the last breaths of players soon to retire over the next few years that can actually slow the game down and dissect opposing teams. Thorton, Dats, and Jagr are the last 3 remnants of this. And all don't have very long left to play. And when we look at the new generation of players none even have a sniff of ability to do such things.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
I'd rather they be looking for a Konstantinov or two but I understand the point he was making.

Though with Pavs specifically given the era and training threshold we are in players such as him will soon become extinct. The one and only way I would compare pavs to great one is that they both had a similar up bringing. The hours upon hours of skating and playing in a structure and coach free environment to facilitate there creativity is quite quickly vanishing. And both where basically forged by playing pond hockey away from coaches that would turn them into systems robots.

I mean look at the last breaths of players soon to retire over the next few years that can actually slow the game down and dissect opposing teams. Thorton, Dats, and Jagr are the last 3 remnants of this. And all don't have very long left to play. And when we look at the new generation of players none even have a sniff of ability to do such things.

I think this comes with age and hockey IQ. There *is* another crop alreay in place in my ind. They're just not fully developed yet.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Svechnikov showing some good signs of life in the third period, had one dominant shift so far this perid, good on the puck, too strong in the corners...

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
It's funny, though, because Russian fans are slamming Svechnikov for looking like an Abdelkader. But I think the Wings front office must be salivating. They love the normal, medium talent version of Abdelkader enough already. Add a shot, hands, and playmaking? They must be in love.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
It's funny, though, because Russian fans are slamming Svechnikov for looking like a highly skilled version of Abdelkader. But I think the Wings front office must be salivating. They love the normal, medium talent version of Abdelkader enough already. Add a shot, hands, and playmaking? They must be in love.

Is this a joke? Salivating over a disappointing tournament?

Jul 30, 2005
Is this a joke? Salivating over a disappointing tournament?
He hasn't been that bad, though. He's been disappointing offensively, but he's been very physical and surprisingly responsible in his own end at times. As TSN put it, he's showing that he can contribute when he isn't scoring.

My point is, the Wings CLEARLY love this type of game from Abdelkader, so they ought to love it from Svechnikov. That creates a funny mismatch where Russian fans, who want flash and dazzle, hate it, while the Wings might appreciate it a lot more. Which sounds a lot like how Wings fans feel about Abdelkader, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00