WJC Prospects

TeemuS

Feb 13, 2013
jesus what a game. great hockey.

not that snoozfest from devils and wings :D

Jusek

Dec 2, 2009
Saarijärvi is so smooth on the blueline. His signature move is that fake slapper to make an empty lane and then wrister to the net.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Svechnikov invisible all tournament :(
I don't think he's been invisible, though. He had an awesome chance this game, and he's been very consistently physical. He does a ton of work in the corners and in front of the net for his line. And from what I've seen, his lines have been pretty solid. He plays net front on the PP.

That's why I brought up Abdelkader, because he gets trashed for not scoring a lot, but he definitely contributes in other ways. Svechnikov is doing the same thing, but getting zero credit. They're using him as a big, physical utility type guy, and I give him credit for taking that role and running with it. It's not really his thing, but he's trying to make it work.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Saarijärvi is so smooth on the blueline. His signature move is that fake slapper to make an empty lane and then wrister to the net.

Sounds like Kronwall's go-to move a bit.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
I know I'm beating this drum pretty hard, but that was a total Brian Rafalski type play. Great poise at the line.
Sure would help our D if he panned out to be something close eh? Rafalski was naturally a little thicker though, like 194 at the same height. Vili is what about 24 pounds lighter, and Rafalski still had some trouble with the bigger players. Well see, fingers crossed, hes got skills though...

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Normally the Finnish powerplay had Juolevi on the 1st unit and Saarijärvi on the 2nd. On that final powerplay Saarijärvi was put on with the 1st unit and continued with the 2nd, a double shift (2 mins) resulting in the 3-2 goal. Nice vote of confidence from the coach, especially when Juolevi has been fantastic all tournament long. Very strong game from Saarijärvi tonight especially in the off.zone, congrats to him!

Svechnikov showed some good stuff too. One great chance on which he deked out the D and shot a backhander. The penalty he took was questionable.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
congrats Henkka, Finland deserved it by who they beat!

Also to Guru: I was only boxscore watching on svechnikov. Thanks for the ingame info (actual play analysis)
Yeah, definitely think Abdelkader. Big, a little slow of foot, very physical. He has much more skill than Abby, but didn't get a lot of chances to show it. Felt like he never had the puck. His style didn't really work in this tournament, overall. Teams were very fast, and he would take the puck away from a defender and lose it to a backchecking forward. Played net front on the PP, but they didn't use him as an option like the Wings do with Abby. They didn't try for tips or deflections or rebounds off of point shots, so he was basically decorative. You also can't enter the blue paint in international hockey, so it's not clear what good a net front presence on the PP is.

Aug 6, 2012
To be honest I don't think Shvechnikov was very good at all. Very forgettable tournament for him-his production matched his play on the ice. Still have very high hopes for him... definitely think he enjoys the smaller ice with that frame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad