WJC Prospects

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
I guess the one thing we can say about Saarijarvi & Svechnikov is that they are playing as 18 year olds playing in a "19 year olds tournament" but they seem to be having a underwheleming tournament.

Svech is 19 though, not that the tourney means much, but everytime I've watched Svech play he's been kinda underwhelming. The skill is obviously there, but it really comes down to his skating, and he tries to stick handle way too much when he's barely moving.

You can say the same about Mantha , we have plenty of skills , not enough speed . Hockey changing to more speed , we need to draft little bit different

No you can't, he's quite fast, and way faster than both Svech and Holmstrom.

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Svech is 19 though, not that the tourney means much, but everytime I've watched Svech play he's been kinda underwhelming. The skill is obviously there, but it really comes down to his skating, and he tries to stick handle way too much when he's barely moving.

Ah my mistake. This must mean he is Eligible for they AHL as early as next season then ?

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I didn't watch the game today, but apparently according to a friend of mine who did, Svechnikov was a beast. Lots of zone entries, strong board play, set up a beauty Provorov goal. By his account, it was Svechnikov's best of the tournament so far.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Hicketts and JVP chosen as players of the game. That's pretty cool.

I'm not sure who to believe re: Hicketts' performance...

HF's GDT: He sucks, on the ice for every SUI scoring chance...
TSN & reporters on Twitter: Great game, a beast, CAN player of the game...

;)

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
MOD Hicketts also getting props all over TV from BMac and such. You literally need to block all Flyers fans in the GDT, they post about absolutely nothing except Sanheim's TOI and how bad the other D on the team are.

Hicketts was good, scored a great goal, threw some nice hits and was decent defensively. He played way too much though, the coach needs to spread the minutes around.

Swiss goalie was excellent, made a bunch of good saves and got a ton of help from his team. Really good game by them, not so much by TC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

No you can't, he's quite fast, and way faster than both Svech and Holmstrom.

It's not just his skating. For whatever reason, Svechnikov's finesse skills have regressed in recent years. He's still got loads of talent, but it's not what it once was.

Saying that, he's more well rounded now, uses his body better and isn't as inconsistent. But he's just not as dynamic as he was at 15-17.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's not just his skating. For whatever reason, Svechnikov's finesse skills have regressed in recent years. He's still got loads of talent, but it's not what it once was.

Saying that, he's more well rounded now, uses his body better and isn't as inconsistent. But he's just not as dynamic as he was at 15-17.

How exactly do your finesse skills regress as a teenager?

Seems more likely that he is just trying to play a simpler game.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
How exactly do your finesse skills regress as a teenager?

Seems more likely that he is just trying to play a simpler game.

That, and being a dominant offensive player gets more difficult as you move up the ranks, face tougher competition and the 'talent gap' gets smaller.

I think better skating would benefit his offensive game a lot, so hopefully he can develop that in the coming years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That, and being a dominant offensive player gets more difficult as you move up the ranks, face tougher competition and the 'talent gap' gets smaller.

Also maybe a shift from "Russian hockey" to more North American style hockey, too.

Regarding his skating, that's what Holland said needs most work. Think he said he likes everything else.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The suggestion that Svech has somehow become less skilled in the last two seasons is ridiculous. Other players may have closed a previously existing skill gap through the development of their own skills, but Svech has not become worse.

I think it is more likely that people are noticing a difference in how he plays the game. Those sorts of changes occur in all young players...it is called development. I expect that the skating will get better (but never elite) with time. A lot of big guys tend to have feet on the heavier side. Skating is, however, my biggest concern with him although I consider his skating developmentally appropriate given his size.

People are reading a hell of a lot into two games of an international Christmas tournament.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The suggestion that Svech has somehow become less skilled in the last two seasons is ridiculous. Other players may have closed a previously existing skill gap through the development of their own skills, but Svech has not become worse.

I think it is more likely that people are noticing a difference in how he plays the game. Those sorts of changes occur in all young players...it is called development. I expect that the skating will get better (but never elite) with time. A lot of big guys tend to have feet on the heavier side. Skating is, however, my biggest concern with him although I consider his skating developmentally appropriate given his size.

People are reading a hell of a lot into two games of an international Christmas tournament.

Highlighted is what I meant.

Relative to his national team peers, his level of dominance (superior skill set etc.) has regressed. He used to be, far and away, the best and most electrifying 1996 Russian a couple of years ago, it wasn't even close. He's still an awesome prospect and probably still the most talented 1996 Russian, but he just appears more 'plodding', not as dynamic or creative as he used to be. It sucks.

Someone said he plays a more simple game nowadays, and I think that's it. But why should a player with such a great innate skill-set be playing a simpler game? I remember, in a recent interview, Larionov complaining about how the NHL development system limits creativity. I just hate seeing Svechnikov going down that path.

Last edited:

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands

Read somewhere that he put on a lot of muscle during the offseason. Could be a contributing factor.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
3 assists, 3 SOG for Saarijärvi in their 8-3 win vs Slovakia. The last one looked like his goal but apparently there was a slight deflection. Looked good, though he could get more of his shots on goal. But he does a great job at deking the opposition forwards with lateral movement and fake shots to get his shots off from the point. Putting on muscle/weight should help him a lot in the d-zone going forward.

1 assist each for Holmström & Ehn in a 5-0 win.

JVP benched after 15 minutes vs USA. 5 goals on 10 shots ...

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Saarijarvi with a goal and 2 primary assists. I missed the game but I heard through a reliable source that he looked good.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Might want to check that source.

Im kind of missing your tone Bench; not sure if you are being sarcastic?

Anyway, my source is a nobody in the hockey universe, but someone I see eye to eye with in regards to hockey.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Anyway, my source is a nobody in the hockey universe, but someone I see eye to eye with in regards to hockey.

It's an old, old joke I was reminded of from the Around the NHL thread. I think like three people will get it. Completely superfluous and easily ignored, I assure you.

And I'm glad to hear your guy is saying the kid looks good. We really need a few steals to break through. A guy like a Klingberg to fall into our laps, eh?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Ricelund lies. He predicted, R5 mind you, that Suter was going to be a Red Wing. Can never trust what he says ever again.

10/10 Bench.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
It's an old, old joke I was reminded of from the Around the NHL thread. I think like three people will get it. Completely superfluous and easily ignored, I assure you.

And I'm glad to hear your guy is saying the kid looks good. We really need a few steals to break through. A guy like a Klingberg to fall into our laps, eh?

Ahh gotcha. My apologies for being the buzzkill haha.

But I agree. Hell at this point I'd be thrilled if we find a player at Spurgeon's level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad