WJC Prospects

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Hicketts named a top3 player for Canada(by the coaches I think). I don't think he had a great tournament per se, but on a team of underachievers he didn't fall through and was solid for the most part.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hicketts named a top3 player for Canada(by the coaches I think). I don't think he had a great tournament per se, but on a team of underachievers he didn't fall through and was solid for the most part.

He was pretty good outside of two brutal and really unfortunate moments. I think he will be a negative talking point for Canadian fans big time, but that team as a whole was bad. Today they went full USA (the last couple years) in terms of losing all discipline in the knockout stage.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Svechnikov was less than invisible in the 20 or so minutes I watched of the trapfest Russia-Denmark. Awful tournament for him.

Also other Europeans who have played at North America are sucking on this tournament. Jet-lag problems?

Europe-playing Europeans and Matthews (playing at Switzerland) are nothing but great.

Wonderful game today from Finland. Was LIVE on the game. Best hockey game I've seen for a long time. So much exitement.

And it was great to talk about hockey with Canadian fans. Met some couple from Newfoundland, were Mntreal fans. Also talked with some guys from Red Deer, were split Flames/Oilers-guys.

PATRIK LAINE, I WANT YOU. :)

Next Ovechkin on the making...

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Also other Europeans who have played at North America are sucking on this tournament. Jet-lag problems?

Sweden's NA players have been brilliant. Adrian Kempe has been the best forward, together with Nylander and Timashov they are 1-2-3 in team scoring. Pastrnak named top3 player for CZE too.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Sweden's NA players have been brilliant. Adrian Kempe has been the best forward, together with Nylander and Timashov they are 1-2-3 in team scoring. Pastrnak named top3 player for CZE too.
Rantanen has been a disappointment for Finland. The guy is PPG+ in the AHL and even played with the Avs this season. 10th overall pick, same age as Svechnikov.

Zacha not great either, and Meier wasn't very visible at least in the preliminary round... I'm not trying to defend Svechnikov, just saying not all "top" prospects automatically perform well at the WJC due to various reasons.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300

I disagree. He looked very impressive playing against players bigger than himself (my only complaint was the charging penalty he took when he jumped to make a hit on Puljujarvi). His breakout passes were superb, and he always knew when to jump into the play to help out offensively without being a defensive liability (he was the only Canadian defenseman to score a goal). He had a few tough plays, namely when the puck deflected off his stick to give the US a lead, and a couple of pucks being shot over the glass resulting in delay of game penalties, also I thought he could have contributed more offensively, especially on the powerplay. The thing you have to remember is this tournament is bias towards forwards, because defenseman usually take longer to develop, even with that in mind I thought he was very visible in every game he played. Overall I thought he was a standout and a well deserved top 3 player for Canada.

If he continues to put on weight, develop and play smart he could become a solid PP QB, and a top 5 NHL defenseman.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300

I'm disappointed we passed over Timashov. I know his height is an issue but he has top 6 skills, especially for a 5th rounder

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
JVP's tournament is done. He started both their relegation round games vs Belarus and got two wins (5-1, 6-2). His final stats don't look great: 88.72% & 3.15 GAA in 6 games. But when you take out his horrible 15 minutes vs USA, they're actually not bad: 91.87% & 2.22 GAA. That would be 3rd best in the tournament behind Nedeljkovic and Söderström (among those who played 40+% of team's minutes). And he played really well against top talent like Sweden and Canada. He'll be eligible to return next year and I would imagine he's their starter if nothing unexpected happens.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I really like what Holmstrom is showing. Granted, he should look good playing against juniors with his experience against men, but he has that look of a player with a very well-rounded and mature game. Has made several great defensive plays today and showing some moves offensively. Always going to the net too.

Aug 6, 2012
The Swede's defense is terrible... feel like I'm watching the Wings with how brutal their puck skills are under pressure.

Holmstrom is a very cerebral player. Nearly scored a beauty in the second but just missed the net.

Haven't heard Saarijarvi's name, much like most of the Finn's defense. Quietly getting the job done.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I really like what Holmstrom is showing. Granted, he should look good playing against juniors with his experience against men, but he has that look of a player with a very well-rounded and mature game. Has made several great defensive plays today and showing some moves offensively. Always going to the net too.

I was hoping to see more improvement with this skating to be honest. It really overshadows all of the good things that he does.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
The Swede's defense is terrible... feel like I'm watching the Wings with how brutal their puck skills are under pressure.

Holmstrom is a very cerebral player. Nearly scored a beauty in the second but just missed the net.

Haven't heard Saarijarvi's name, much like most of the Finn's defense. Quietly getting the job done.

Sweden missed their best all-around D in Aho, their 2nd best defensive D in Ollas-Mattsson, and the best player in the tournament W.Nylander... It probably would have been the diference

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
JVP's tournament is done. He started both their relegation round games vs Belarus and got two wins (5-1, 6-2). His final stats don't look great: 88.72% & 3.15 GAA in 6 games. But when you take out his horrible 15 minutes vs USA, they're actually not bad: 91.87% & 2.22 GAA. That would be 3rd best in the tournament behind Nedeljkovic and Söderström (among those who played 40+% of team's minutes). And he played really well against top talent like Sweden and Canada. He'll be eligible to return next year and I would imagine he's their starter if nothing unexpected happens.

I just see the reason we drafted him. Sure he's big, but otherwise everything I've seen is he's ok not great. Could very well be a starter in the the European leagues. Just don't see him becoming a back up in the NHL.

As always with prospects I'm down on, I hope I'm wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad