Prospect Info: WJC 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I kind of hope the NHL teams do not release their players. Isn't the plan to aim for a Jan. 01 start to the season? If that's the case there will be overlap and I doubt the NHL teams would want their players missing the start of the season for a junior tourney. Even if the NHL season gets pushed back, I'd still rather players like Dach, Lafrenierre, and Hughes held out. Those players would be playing in the NHL as we speak if not for the pandemic. They have already graduated from the junior ranks - I see no developmental benefit for them to go back and dominate. I'd rather the opportunity be given to actual junior players.

I would think guys like Lafrenierre will be held out as he has nothing to gain, Hughes maybe he plays because of how much he struggled but I haven't heard anything on NJ's plans for him.

With the way things are going I would assume they start in Feb or later as flu season is just kind of starting I believe so things over the next few months could be ugly.

Really makes you wonder what impact this is going to have on these kids, if say some go from Feb/March to say almost a year later without playing any games. Where Hudon is playing they just suggested the league shut down till Jan but teams said no, on the other hand you have the OHL and WHL pushing back the start again, the NCAA still most conferences haven't even put out a schedule yet despite the season possibly starting in 3 or 4 weeks and that's with a few teams currently shut down due to covid. The whole thing is a mess.

Reactions: lamp9post

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
This tournament is for men's hockey. I understand the confusion because Russia decided they will send their U20 team at this tournament as a warm up to the WJC. But Finland, Sweden, and Czech Republic are not happy with them sending a team full of kids and there was a rumor today that if Russia doesn't change it, they will be kicked out of the tournament.

Norlinder made Sweden. Will be curious to see if Kotkaniemi makes Finland. And if Russia changes it and sends the men's team, I imagine Romanov will be on that roster.
Would Grodin be on the Russia U 20

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He won't make it...but congrats to what would have been a fine 7th rounder in Xavier Simoneau....Fine player. That will surely help a AHL team down the road.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Hockey Canada will talk with the Rangers regarding loaning Lafreniere for the WJC.

And so it starts. Caufield watching anxiously as Zegras, Robertson, Hughes, Kaliyev and Wahlstrom are possibilities that would move him down the roster. There's almost no way the NHL starts before the WJC, so kind of pointless to mention Dach would go back to CHI.

:popcorn:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
And so it starts. Caufield watching anxiously as Zegras, Robertson, Hughes, Kaliyev and Wahlstrom are possibilities that would move him down the roster. There's almost no way the NHL starts before the WJC, so kind of pointless to mention Dach would go back to CHI.

:popcorn:

Wahlstrom can't be WJC eligible, can he?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
My guess for TC:

With Laf:

Lafreniere Dach Quinn

Perfetti Byfield Holloway

Newhook McMichael Cozens

Pelletier Mercer Jarvis

extra: Poulin, Krebs

Byram Drysdale

Harley Schneider

Guhle Korczak

extra: Power\Barron

Without Laf:

Newhook Dach Quinn

Perfetti Byfield Holloway

Mercer McMichael Cozens

Pelletier Zary\Krebs Jarvis

extra: Poulin Zary\Krebs

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
They are clear cut supporters of the management, which is fine I guess given that lately, there’s little to complain about, but during some of the dark moments last season, of which there were many, they would constantly bash anyone who says a bad thing about MB and his staff.

They also do a lot of stroking of each other, which is super annoying. They say they don’t always agree, but you certainly don’t get that impression listening to them.

They seem rather pompous at times also, like if they disagree with social media calling for “x person’s” head, they give this long sigh then explain how blah blah is an expert and have faith in him.

Honestly, they do bring up interesting topics but it’s annoying when BOTH always agree with one another and everyone else is wrong. Other pods I listen to, at least occasionally one host will call out the other and you have actual discussions. But like I said, I will give these guys major kudos for getting good guests.

On the topic of Guhle, looking at the invite list, he’s going to have his work cut out for him making the team for the WJ.

It will be disappointing if he doesn't make it. How many prospects will we have if he doesn't, in the rest of the tourny?

thanks for the input on the podcast, I can tell right away it isn't for me.

Reactions: sandviper

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I understand the whole left and right think...but it sucks that on most Junior lineups, you see Scheneider name there and even Korczak and even Guhle isn't on a whole lot of list...Geez I thought at one point he'd captain this team...

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Guhle will just be a shoe-in next year. Who cares if he doesn’t make it this year, he’s 18 and it’s essentially a “lockout” year meaning the team is twice as hard to make.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Guhle will just be a shoe-in next year. Who cares if he doesn’t make it this year, he’s 18 and it’s essentially a “lockout” year meaning the team is twice as hard to make.

Up front that's true but the back end is pretty wide open, save for the two returnees which is fairly standard issue for D. Even if this were a normal year, Colorado is deep on the back end and I doubt Byram would have made their team. They also need ELC talent on the cheap for the coming years. Drysdale's also clearly not ready for the NHL yet.

So there are really 4/5 open spots on the back end, in which case:

- Guhle will need to beat out at least 2 of Schneider, Korczak, Robertson, and Hunt for a stay at home spot. Having watched all 5 extensively at this level, I'd say he has a great shot at that. HC loves big, strong skating D.

- Power seems likely to make the team - he's likely one and done at UMich.

- Harley as a 3rd pairing guy or 7th D.

- Longshots in Millman, O'Rourke, Spence, and Cormier.

I could see this sort of d-line up, or maybe they take one more LHD for an RD spot and ignore handedness:

Byram-Schneider
Guhle-Drysdale
Power-Korczak
Harley/O'Rourke

That's a very tough group to play against, with guys who compliment each other's playing styles, and all but 2 are first rounders. Pretty sick.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Wheeler made his predictions for the WJC and he has Caufield on the top line for the US, Struble as their extra D and Guhle playing on the third pairing for Canada.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I'm really hoping to see Lambert play for Finland.

Lambert cannot play for Canada, he's already locked in his choice. He would need to move to the CHL and play a few years to change team (not going to happen).

He's on all the pre-WJC lineup for Finland. This is why I don't think Canada can choose not to send Wright.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad