Prospect Info: WJC 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I'm curious if that is really Caufield's current weight. Because when he was drafted, he was 163 lbs (same as it's listed on the USA Hockey website), But in an interview with one of the beat writers (I think it was Mattias Brunet), Caufield said he put on 5 or so pounds, which would bring him closer to 170 lbs.

By the time Cole hits the NHL I'm hoping he's closer to Cam Atkinson's size (5'8" 175). Something like 5'7" 172. He doesn't have Atkinson's wheels but Cole is very elusive in avoiding contact that I could see, a bit like Suzuki uses edges to avoid the oncoming Hymans and Wilsons. This tournament will have him go from 3rd line TOI last year (PP2) to what it sounds like 1st line TOI with PP1 opportunities. Excited to see him in Pool B against the Russians and the Swedes!!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So USA will face Russia on Christmas day, that kind of sucks as I don't know if I will get to see the game or not.

Canada opens on boxing day vs Germany.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
That Canada VS Germany game will be interesting. Of course it should be a one-way, and if Stutzle misses it, that's their big piece that will be missing. But Germany has developped a few big prospects in recent years, so I'm thinking the depth will come eventually. Will be interesting to see where they are at.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
In McCagg's interview with Caufield yesterday, Cole told him that at the camp, he was lined up with Matthew Boldy and Matthew Beniers. Beniers is a 2021 eligible draft.

He also mentioned that Struble has a minor injury that bothered him a bit and that he only played in one of the scrimmages. But Cole did say he looked good. But he did mention that USA is deep on defense and it will be a hard group to crack.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
In McCagg's interview with Caufield yesterday, Cole told him that at the camp, he was lined up with Matthew Boldy and Matthew Beniers. Beniers is a 2021 eligible draft.

He also mentioned that Struble has a minor injury that bothered him a bit and that he only played in one of the scrimmages. But Cole did say he looked good. But he did mention that USA is deep on defense and it will be a hard group to crack.

I bolded Boldy because that's better than Bobby Brink. :D

Playing with Boldy ensures generous ice time. This is good news. Not awesome on Struble but I'll take it. He may take a long time to mature but may also become a rare breed in the process.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I bolded Boldy because that's better than Bobby Brink. :D

Playing with Boldy ensures generous ice time. This is good news. Not awesome on Struble but I'll take it. He may take a long time to mature but may also become a rare breed in the process.

I made a mistake initially and once I realized I made that mistake, I edited my post. :laugh:

Reactions: Roadhouse

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
That Canada VS Germany game will be interesting. Of course it should be a one-way, and if Stutzle misses it, that's their big piece that will be missing. But Germany has developped a few big prospects in recent years, so I'm thinking the depth will come eventually. Will be interesting to see where they are at.

That Germany team was really fun to watch last year. I've watched all of their game and was very impressed. Stutzle wow'd me and got to see more of Reichel, Peterka on top of the Seiders and Bokks.

Reichel, Stutzle and Peterka could be one hell of a top line if Stutzle is back in time.

Habaholic25

Oct 22, 2020
2017 Draft: 4 WJC picks
2018 Draft: 5 WJC picks
2019 Draft: 3 WJC picks
2020 Draft: 3+ WJC picks?

12 to 15 WJC talent over 4 drafts. This has to be among the best over a 4 year span?

Reactions: Frank JT

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
With the nhl likely starting after January, there is a chance Jack Hughes is available for the wjc.

If so, you can bet Hughes - Caufield will break some records in the tournament

Then they would face Kirby Dach, Lafreniere and many other NHLers in each team. I think team Canada will dream team the tournament if the NHL isn't keeping players (I don't see how team US can counter a Lafreniere-Dach-Wright trio as Hughes-Caufield are not close at all).

Plus really just Canada and Finland could benefit from the 2022s in net terms (Wright and Lambert).

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
November 5th to 7th, Sweden and Finland will play each other three times, here is Sweden's roster for that weekend:

ElAPYPIWAAAMg-J

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

I hope Caufield doesn't get screwed by some side deal made with the WJC to chip in on NHL revenue; if the NHL releases all the junior aged players it could boost tv revenue for the WJC but also prevent Caufield from getting the top line ice time he is currently projected to get. Just hoping it's not a collateral effect of the pandemic, that would suck for him.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I hope Caufield doesn't get screwed by some side deal made with the WJC to chip in on NHL revenue; if the NHL releases all the junior aged players it could boost tv revenue for the WJC but also prevent Caufield from getting the top line ice time he is currently projected to get. Just hoping it's not a collateral effect of the pandemic, that would suck for him.

In my mind, if the Devils send Jack Hughes, the US coach has to put Caufield with him. They've had success playing together.

LA and Anaheim not having played in the playoffs, it is likely they send Turcotte and Zegras, respectively. So those are another two players that Caufield has played with and had success with.

But I get what you mean his TOI may be affected. But I do think either way, he will be relied on much more than last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad