Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
With all the Kyle Connor offersheet talk - I wonder how he compares to Zegras.
Connor had amazing stats in USHL as well, he even participated in the U18 in his D-2 season. The numbers might even say Connor might have had slightly better numbers. What do you guys think, how these two are comparable?

Also - man, that 2015 draft was solid as heck

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Didn't see anyone else post this...Corey Pronman (The Athletic) posted some quick thoughts of standout prospects @ World Juniors camps, and this included Zegras.

It included this crazy clip:

spitefulimpossibleindianjackal

He said he had to watch the video a few times and then ask Zegras directly, and he meant to do this...he scooped the puck up, and then tossed it from behind to the defenseman at the opposite point. LOL

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Didn't see anyone else post this...Corey Pronman (The Athletic) posted some quick thoughts of standout prospects @ World Juniors camps, and this included Zegras.

He said he had to watch the video a few times and then ask Zegras directly, and he meant to do this...he scooped the puck up, and then tossed it from behind to the defenseman at the opposite point. LOL

What the ****, who even thinks of doing that...? :laugh:

The kid is easily the best prospect we've had since Getz and Perry, he's got "franchise player" written all over him. Can't wait to see him in the NHL rink.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Edmonton, and Detroit especially, went off the board with their picks which benefited us quite a bit.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
He probably slipped because s couple teams (Wings and Oil) really wanted Dmen. I think Broberg was a reach before Z, but I really like Seider, I was sure he would be the Ducks pick at 9, even when he was projected to go late first.

That being said I've been scouting each draft closely for the last several years and I have never wanted a prospect to get picked by the Ducks as bad as I wanted Z.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
He isn't very big for NHL standards and he isn't the greatest skater, so those concerns are why guys like turcotte and cozens went before him. Dach is a giant with great hands, an NHL scout's wet dream, but he isn't more talented than Zegras.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
He isn't very big for NHL standards and he isn't the greatest skater, so those concerns are why guys like turcotte and cozens went before him. Dach is a giant with great hands, an NHL scout's wet dream, but he isn't more talented than Zegras.

Everything I’ve read about Zegras says he’s a great skater, what concerns have you seen on his skating?

As for size, he’s definitely skinny but he’s got average height, just needs to build some muscle.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Getz will be watching this wondering how the F he pulled it off. And that's saying something.
Getz is probably saying "kids these days..." then will ask him for pointers early in camp.

He'll be as good a mentor as any for Z, blind drop passes and all. Kid definitely looks like he can be a Scheifele type.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Everything I’ve read about Zegras says he’s a great skater, what concerns have you seen on his skating?

As for size, he’s definitely skinny but he’s got average height, just needs to build some muscle.
For his size he doesn't have great speed. A lot of that may be just what he has shown; he has a tendency to play slower kind of like getzlaf.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
He's very talented. Why did he drop to 9?

I'm so happy he did drop!

While I think the question is rhetorical, it's still nice to reflect on such great luck! We know the top two picks were set. So that leaves six picks between the top two and us. Lots of people thought picks 2 - 8 were interchangeable. What lead Z to us were two teams picking two defensemen higher than expected. So three centers and three defensemen were taken between 3 - 8. I'd actually be happy with centers Dach, Turcotte, or Cozens, but I didn't think we'd have a chance at any of those centers, including Z. The only defenseman projected by mass media in the 3-8 range was Byram. Yet both defensemen Seider and Broberg leapfrogged into the 3-8 range. The only team ahead of us that could have nabbed Z were the Oilers, but I think they saw the "another Swedish defensemen to the Ducks" trajectory and snatched Broberg up. I wanted Broberg badly, but seeing Z just fall like that is a far better gift than a consolation prize! Detroit already zoned in on Seider (he's to the Wings this year like Hampus was to the Ducks in 2012, coincidentally selected 6th overall as well).

I do have one theory. As I was doing research on Brayden Tracey's WJC-18 production, I also ended up looking at Z's production (i just want to call him "silky" b/c that's the description that comes to mind when tweets say he's smooth so often.) When Z was playing on the same ice with other top prospects, some teams de-valued him (Krebs got de-valued due to injury).

WJC-18 productions
5th (overall in 2019 NHL draft). Turcotte 4g, 5a = 9 pts
7th. Cozens 4g, 5a = 9 pts
9th. Zegras 0g, 9a = 9 pts

8. D Broberg 2g, 4a = 6 pts

Dach is a 6'4 center (he didn't participate in WJC's due to injury) and C Hughes is... well, Hughes. Z is 6' and not Hughes. hahahhaha Just using the WJC-18 production, it feels as if Z turtles as a goal scorer. Z does find others who can score. Thus, my theory is Z dropped because of his production in the WJC-18 as teams were looking for players who can score goals and get assists, which includes defensemen.

On a tangential thought, the WJC-18 raised Brayden Tracey's value to the Ducks' scouting staff. Tracey's WHL production was high due to playing on a line with two overagers who scored more than Tracey. Brayden's production may be suspect, but seeing that production continue to be consistent at the WJC-18 elevated his status with the Ducks. It was that consistency at the WJC-18 is probably why the Ducks favored him over more well known, mass media projected talents.

29th. Tracey 4g, 3 a = 7 pts in WJC-18.

That's a top-5 scorer for team Canada.

In the end, a Zegras - Tracey combo appears to be a perfect complement to each other. Z can pass and Tracey can shoot. Z has a very high talent level, but the WJC-18 de-valued his status to teams looking for a goal scorer in the top-8. Defensemen who can score automatically surpass Z on the draft chart despite the talent that Z possesses inherently. Thank goodness the Ducks' scouting staff has different metrics. Z is a higher end situation to the 2018 NHL draft where Lundestrom fell to the Ducks. Lundestrom was projected to be a safe pick who's the most NHL-ready prospect due to his defense. Lundestrom fell out of the teens in the first round projection and Anaheim scooped him up at pick 23. Although Lundestrom didn't show much offensively on North American soil last year, his scoring production jump up across the pond. At pick 23, Lundestrom was an obvious pick for the Ducks. At pick 9, Z was an obvious pick for the Ducks. In 2013, D Shea Theodore was an obvious pick for the Ducks at 26th overall. In 2010, D Fowler was an obvious pick at 12th overall.

Though Z was selected 9th overall, there was a lot of talent that pushed Z down. If we drafted any of those players above Z instead of Z at 9th overall, I'd still be content b/c those players are still that talented. That's a testament to this draft class' talent level. I never expected Z to drop. I was looking at the lower tiered talents of the top-8 as well as projecting some mid-teen prospects to rise such as Broberg and Seider. Hell, I'm still stunned we landed Z!

Reactions: branmuffin17

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
For his size he doesn't have great speed. A lot of that may be just what he has shown; he has a tendency to play slower kind of like getzlaf.

I'm just curious where you're getting that analysis. Everything I've read echoes this article: The Draft Analyst | 2019 Draft Profile: C Trevor Zegras, which indicates he's a great skater. He obviously likes to change pace and slow the game down but that doesn't necessarily mean he's not a great skater.

Or is this your personal analysis based on your viewings?

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
There were two guys who I thought going into the draft had a chance at surpassing Hughes as the second best forward in the draft (I don’t think anyone will surpass Kakko) - Turcotte and Zegras. Unfortunately one went to LA but this was the most excited I’ve been about a prospect being available and the Ducks actually picking him since I don’t know.. maybe ever. I didn’t pay much attention to the ‘03 draft because I was too busy getting over the loss in the finals FWIW so wasn’t really aware how good of a prospect Getz was at the time.

Think the only other comparable time is when Fowler fell into our lap.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
There were two guys who I thought going into the draft had a chance at surpassing Hughes as the second best forward in the draft (I don’t think anyone will surpass Kakko) - Turcotte and Zegras. Unfortunately one went to LA but this was the most excited I’ve been about a prospect being available and the Ducks actually picking him since I don’t know.. maybe ever. I didn’t pay much attention to the ‘03 draft because I was too busy getting over the loss in the finals FWIW so wasn’t really aware how good of a prospect Getz was at the time.

Think the only other comparable time is when Fowler fell into our lap.
This is almost identical to my thoughts heading into the draft, with the exception that I think it's plausible that those two could surpass Kakko, even if I think he has a high ceiling and will likely hit at or near it.

Reactions: Paul4587

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
This is almost identical to my thoughts heading into the draft, with the exception that I think it's plausible that those two could surpass Kakko, even if I think he has a high ceiling and will likely hit at or near it.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being arguably the best player in the draft. I think Hughes and Kakko are safer picks to become that at this point but Zegras and Byram have that sky-high potential as well.

Could end up looking similar to the 2017 draft where Makar and Pettersson really started to make a name for themselves after the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I'm just curious where you're getting that analysis. Everything I've read echoes this article: The Draft Analyst | 2019 Draft Profile: C Trevor Zegras, which indicates he's a great skater. He obviously likes to change pace and slow the game down but that doesn't necessarily mean he's not a great skater.

Pronman had a thing where scouts kind of debated his skating skill. It's a bit divisive. I haven't watched enough to make any sort of determination myself, and it could be that what I have read turns out to be much ado.

Reactions: Vinegar Strokes

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Pronman had a thing where scouts kind of debated his skating skill. It's a bit divisive. I haven't watched enough to make any sort of determination myself, and it could be that what I have read turns out to be much ado.

Either way, hopefully he continues to improve on it. It wouldn’t hurt if he can add more acceleration.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Really excited to watch Z at BU

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017

I have no idea if Zegras will become an effective player but I don't care as long as he's entertaining. I hope this kind of stuff doesn't get coached out of him.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Stuff i've watched of Zegras shows him to be a great Skater when he wants to be, much faster than Steel imo.

Reactions: Vinegar Strokes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad