Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Just watched some of his highlight videos, as I always felt as though Zegras would end up at number 6 at the latest and didn't bother finding out about his play much.

1) He has a nice base speed and his first two-three steps are pretty good, but he still needs some muscle in the legs in order to really get flying. His skating technique, however, looks elite.
2) His edgework is incredible. These small shoulder feints or hip feints of his completely undressed players at the junior level, and I'm very confident he'll be able to undress defensemen at the senior level equally often.
3) The shiftyness and evasiveness of Zegras is probably the best out of the whole draft class. In these videos there were quite a few highlights shown in which he looked like he would get nailed for sure and all of a sudden wound up circling around the opposing players and creating passing lanes. Very impressive.
4) His creativity and passing are second to none in this draft class. And I mean NONE. He tends to be a bit too playful with the puck on his stick at times, but man can this guy create chances and get his linemates into scoring positions. He even has Getzlaf's patented "no-look, behind the back" pass in his repertoire, but unlike Getzy's, his usually find the player aimed for.
5) His shot is quite nice and maybe even sold short a bit, but he definitely needs to work on his shot release a bit. Too predictable and too slow for NHL standards as it is now. But hey, he's got a great accuracy, so maybe he doesn't need that quick release a Silfverberg has.
6) His feistyness is a bit underrated, I think. Granted, he only played against boys so far, but I think he does have a mean streak to his play that could compliment a Comtois very nicely. I'd even go so far as to say that he and Comtois together could become a dominant force on one line. Which brings me to
7) Zegras' powerplay abilities are awesome. He's just so calm with the puck even under pressure and seems to always see the full offensive zone on the PP. His diagonal passes through traffic onto the off-wing are a sight to behold. I imagine having Jones or Steel on the right wing for one-timers and Zegras on the left wing as a high PP quarterback with Lindholm and Getzlaf on the blue line and Ritchie in front of the net looks not only promising, but like a match made in heaven.

tl;dr
I am VERY pleased with the selection of Zegras and hope he doesn't turn into a Judas 2.0 who refuses to sign with us after college because of "reasons". Should he pack up some more weight and muscle, do I not see a reason not to be successful at the NHL level. An elite-level talent for sure, and an electrifying player to watch.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Just watched some of his highlight videos, as I always felt as though Zegras would end up at number 6 at the latest and didn't bother finding out about his play much.

1) He has a nice base speed and his first two-three steps are pretty good, but he still needs some muscle in the legs in order to really get flying. His skating technique, however, looks elite.
2) His edgework is incredible. These small shoulder feints or hip feints of his completely undressed players at the junior level, and I'm very confident he'll be able to undress defensemen at the senior level equally often.
3) The shiftyness and evasiveness of Zegras is probably the best out of the whole draft class. In these videos there were quite a few highlights shown in which he looked like he would get nailed for sure and all of a sudden wound up circling around the opposing players and creating passing lanes. Very impressive.
4) His creativity and passing are second to none in this draft class. And I mean NONE. He tends to be a bit too playful with the puck on his stick at times, but man can this guy create chances and get his linemates into scoring positions. He even has Getzlaf's patented "no-look, behind the back" pass in his repertoire, but unlike Getzy's, his usually find the player aimed for.
5) His shot is quite nice and maybe even sold short a bit, but he definitely needs to work on his shot release a bit. Too predictable and too slow for NHL standards as it is now. But hey, he's got a great accuracy, so maybe he doesn't need that quick release a Silfverberg has.
6) His feistyness is a bit underrated, I think. Granted, he only played against boys so far, but I think he does have a mean streak to his play that could compliment a Comtois very nicely. I'd even go so far as to say that he and Comtois together could become a dominant force on one line. Which brings me to
7) Zegras' powerplay abilities are awesome. He's just so calm with the puck even under pressure and seems to always see the full offensive zone on the PP. His diagonal passes through traffic onto the off-wing are a sight to behold. I imagine having Jones or Steel on the right wing for one-timers and Zegras on the left wing as a high PP quarterback with Lindholm and Getzlaf on the blue line and Ritchie in front of the net looks not only promising, but like a match made in heaven.

tl;dr
I am VERY pleased with the selection of Zegras and hope he doesn't turn into a Judas 2.0 who refuses to sign with us after college because of "reasons". Should he pack up some more weight and muscle, do I not see a reason not to be successful at the NHL level. An elite-level talent for sure, and an electrifying player to watch.
It'll be nice to watch the Ducks having a player who can circle around opposing players instead of always being on the receiving end of that with other teams circling around the Ducks.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I really thought the Oilers were going to take Zegras and spoil my day just like the Jets took Ehlers.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think this is the most talented forward we’ve drafted since either Bobby Ryan or maybe Getzlaf. This kid has all the skills in the world

Reactions: Paul4587

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Man just wanted to stop by and say you guys absolutely stole this ****ing amazing player. You've got your franchise center with a 9th overall pick.
Hopefully, life after Getz/kesler doesn't look so bad anymore
Zegras Steel Lundestrum Groulx

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I think this is the most talented forward we’ve drafted since either Bobby Ryan or maybe Getzlaf. This kid has all the skills in the world

Zegras has elite level vision. That’s what scouts keep saying. Button on TSN is comparing him to Pettersson In Vancouver. But his only knock on him is that he’s a playmaking center. He looks for pass first and creating a play before making a shot.

This is where we lack. We need a forward to score off Zegras chances and creativity in the offensive zone. Whether that’s Terry or Rakell. Someone has to shoot the puck off his creativeness. That’s the only downfall I see.

Button also said that he can see Zegras switching to a wing position at the NHL level as well.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Zegras is a #1 overall type talent. If he didn't play with Hughes taking his spotlight he would easily be top 3 imo. If you watch shift by shift video of him you can't tell the difference between the two.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Zegras is a #1 overall type talent. If he didn't play with Hughes taking his spotlight he would easily be top 3 imo. If you watch shift by shift video of him you can't tell the difference between the two.

I agree, but only this past season. Late 2018 and before Hughes made Zegras look like a B prospect in comparison. Z has improved his skating so much in the last year, its pretty remarkable really.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Stephens interviewed Zegras:
How Ducks draft pick Trevor Zegras makes 'video game' type...

Zegas says he expects to be at BU for just 1 "hockey season."

Murray says he liked Seider and Broberg a lot, and he did not think Zegras would be there for our pick.

Kudos to Edmonton & Detroit for making that happen for Anaheim lol. Detroit knows it reached because they were reported as trying to trade down for Seider before the pick was announced i think. Edmonton might have taken Seider in that scenario though because Holland might also have some of what Detroit knows about Seider so they probably would have lost him if they traded down to 8.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
In other words: “ I ain’t going to class cause I’m out as soon as the season ends.”

I like it.
So he'll be like John Belushi in 'Animal House' where John Belushi's character was told his grade point average is 0.0 which is not even the worse among them, one of them had no GPA cause he missed every class

Reactions: ohcomeonref
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad