Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
I think that all depends on how the Ducks do this season, especially with Getz, Steel, and Lundestrom. If the team does well, then there's no rush to Zegras. Since Zegras can only play at the NHL level next year, just to get him here next year just so he's here next year doesn't make sense. With the abundance of centers now in Anaheim and San Diego, I think Bob has created a situation that he doesn't have a dire need to bring Zegras in this or next year.

I thought that he could play in the AHL due to him not going the junior route?

I was arguing with a friend who was saying Zegras would have made the team this season if he had signed

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR

I was arguing with a friend who was saying Zegras would have made the team this season if he had signed

I'm as big of a Z fan as anyone, no chance he'd be a top 6 center in the NHL right now. Could probably make some noise on the PP though

Reactions: 11Justin93

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012

Once he signs his ELC, he can go to the AHL since he is a college player, although I’m guessing he’s not going to leave school until he thinks he has a legitimate shot at playing in the NHL.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Once he signs his ELC, he can go to the AHL since he is a college player, although I’m guessing he’s not going to leave school until he thinks he has a legitimate shot at playing in the NHL.

You're correct. Damn all these specific rules that get confusing until you break it down.

I saw this online and it's clearer for me:
In 1979, the National Hockey lowered the draft eligibility age over a two-year period from 20 to the present-day 18 (with the birthday cut off set at Sept. 15 of the draft’s calendar year). Concurrently, in order to keep CHL teams strong both on the ice and at the box office, CHL players under 20 whose NHL rightsholder deemed not quite ready for the NHL were required to return to their Canadian major junior team rather than playing in the AHL during the season.
Those basic requirements have held in place ever since. However, for young players signed out of Europe or collegiate players who give up their remaining NCAA eligibility in order to sign an NHL entry-level contract or AHL minor league contract, the minimum age to play in the AHL is 18.

By not signing Zegras to an ELC right away, we defer using up his ELC for a year or two. With Getzlaf having only two years left on his contract and Rico possibly exposed to the Seattle Expansion draft, two years looks like very promising target date for Zegras to leave the NCAA, provided Zegras is NHL-ready.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Wouldn't it be amazing to add Lafreniere and Zegras to the team next year?
In that case will have at least one traded from our Top3D, other veterans traded, pissed off Gibson and frustrated prospects as well. Rookie duo alone won`t get us in the playoffs.

Don`t forget it.

Of course we can hope that Sens somehow trade us their 1st round pick tho

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
In that case will have at least one traded from our Top3D, other veterans traded, pissed off Gibson and frustrated prospects as well. Rookie duo alone won`t get us in the playoffs.

Don`t forget it.

Of course we can hope that Sens somehow trade us their 1st round pick tho
You know any team that misses the playoffs can win a lottery pick right? If we don't make the playoffs (I'm not yet convinced we will), then I obviously am hopeful and dreaming of winning a lottery pick

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
You know any team that misses the playoffs can win a lottery pick right? If we don't make the playoffs (I'm not yet convinced we will), then I obviously am hopeful and dreaming of winning a lottery pick
Ogh, I forgot that. But the chances are extremely low unless you are a bottom 5.
Well if we do miss the POs, of course I will be rooting for us win the lottery. I hope we get into the playoffs tho, if only for 1 (but competitive) round.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Ogh, I forgot that. But the chances are extremely low unless you are a bottom 5.
Well if we do miss the POs, of course I will be rooting for us win the lottery. I hope we get into the playoffs tho, if only for 1 (but competitive) round.
I hope so too, but man, getting an elite young forward to be our next franchise player to add to our already deep young forward core would be pretty sweet too.

Reactions: Dmang714 and Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We would need to hire Carlyle back for that to happen haha.

Or have someone just take out Gibson before the season starts... and maybe Lindholm for good measure

My eyes are glued to Drysdale and Berron personally, with the 3 sweeds comin after that(raymond, holtz, Gunler)… if we end up with a 2nd 1st.... Helge Grans seems like a great pick up later in the 1st(tho i feel like he will rise a bit) , schneider being another option

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Los Angeles Ducks of South San Jose and Western Chicago. Maybe that will cover all the bases. Should Nashville's or Edmonton's name be incorporated too?

I don't think we need Nashville or Edmonton, but we might need to trade for taylor hall just to be safe

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
My mind is usually set on who's mocked in the 20's and early 2nd round. Although we have a need for RHD, I think the best bet is getting the best talent available as he can be a valuable trade asset to nab an NHL player. I'm looking at RHD Helge Grans as a possible location for the Ducks, owners of the 31st pick in the next draft. = )

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
My mind is usually set on who's mocked in the 20's and early 2nd round. Although we have a need for RHD, I think the best bet is getting the best talent available as he can be a valuable trade asset to nab an NHL player. I'm looking at RHD Helge Grans as a possible location for the Ducks, owners of the 31st pick in the next draft. = )

I'm hoping the Ducks either tank to bottom 3, but if not then I hope they sneak into the playoffs via a miracle to give the prospects some experience. I don't see any top Dman in this draft other than Drysdale (but it sounds like the this is going to be a gold mine for forwards), but there are some interesting ones:

RUS - Mukhamadullin (TSN lists him at 6'3+, video shows that he can be a lankier Theodore)
SWE - Wallinder (Late bday, already 6'4 and good skater to be a shutdown guy)
USA - Razlaff (Sounds like a great athlete playing alot of sports and built like a linebacker, maybe another Stephen Johns)
CAN - Biakabutka (Our scouts like the Q and drafting their in the mid rounds)
SWI - Delemont (Swiss version of Girard)
FIN - Rafkin (Maybe another Rasmus Andersson, can play physical and move the puck)
CAN - Rhinehart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad