Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Zegras is an elite two-way forward that can play both wing and center. His pro-level mobility is the foundation of his game, supplementing an in-transition speed that shifts the pace of play. He knows how to get under the skin of opponents and will actively seek out opportunities to lay the body and create separation, all the while staying attentive to the unfolding play. This unique aspect of his game makes him difficult and frustrating to play against.

His ability to finish and create plays is undoubtedly the hallmark of his game, as he is one of the major dynamos of his draft class. He is a dangerous scoring threat anywhere below the blue line and his vision matched with his net-drive propels him into positions that create high percentage opportunities. Defensively astute and proactive, he sees the lanes that his opponents do and will do his best to force the puck along the wall where he is at his best. All-in-all, Zegras is one of those special buzzsaw-type players that can excel in key roles and perform under pressure. (Curtis Joe, EP 2019)

Trevor Zegras at eliteprospects.com

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I love it. I was really impressed with his play in whatever tournament there was like a month ago. I was more impressed with his offensive instincts and creativity than Hughes. Of course Hughes has strength on skates, agility, speed, and handles.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
D9odinzUEAEJhJ_.jpg

Reactions: Hank84

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Pronman's post draft comments...

"In terms of pure offensive skill, he’s the best in the draft class."

"Zegras will need some time to round out his game, but he’s immensely talented, a top 3-4 player in the draft on pure upside."

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Of the guys that could have realistically been there at 9, I only wanted Cozens more but I can easily see how Zegras can be better.

Great pick.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
The passing and skating get the props but apparently he's one of the smarter players in the draft too. There's really a lot to like, no selling needed for this one.
I'd say his offensive zone awareness is easily his best strength. He knows where he wants to go with the puck before it gets to him.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Zegras says in that article that his decision on BU isn't set in stone.
BM did say he wanted a guy to play next season...
But this definitely would not be best for him. He's a bit thin still but even more important is he needs to be a teams #1 center for atleast a year. He's been second fiddle to Hughes & Turcotte, and even played out of position basically half his time with USDP. A testament to how talented he really is to be able to slot into any offensive role and flat out dominate. I think he'll be a one-&-done and plug right into the 2c spot the season after next no problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Rogers

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
So can I go back to playing fantasy gm in my head where Zegras is a stud and slots in at 3c and we trade Rico for a young rhd and then sign Panarin?

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Interesting question about Detroit looking at him but passed on him with the biggest surprise pick in Seider (who I thought was one of the guys the Ducks would trade down for). His slight pause made it feel like that was what he thought might happen.

He really does look like a Duck and it’s gonna be fun watching him and Turcotte battle it out in 2-3 years.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Zegras says in that article that his decision on BU isn't set in stone.

Good. Maybe he'll choose to go to a school that the Ducks have history with. Maybe one just a few blocks down road?? :sarcasm:

Oh wait, you guys were talking about him with the Ducks right away. My bad.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
BM did say he wanted a guy to play next season...
But this definitely would not be best for him. He's a bit thin still but even more important is he needs to be a teams #1 center for atleast a year. He's been second fiddle to Hughes & Turcotte, and even played out of position basically half his time with USDP. A testament to how talented he really is to be able to slot into any offensive role and flat out dominate. I think he'll be a one-&-done and plug right into the 2c spot the season after next no problem.

I'll hazard a guess that BM did not say that and Teaford's an idiot. It was a dubious idea before the draft and the guy they drafted, who appears to be their target going in, probably won't even be at training camp.

BU is likely, at least for one year. I wouldnt even rule out two, although my best guess is probably just one and done.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
I can see that. Not as tall but quicker and a bit feistier. Z also has a great shot that he doesnt use as often as you'd like to see. But that seems to be the case with all the truly elite passers.

So pumped with this pick. I had him 3rd on my draft board!

Didn't the broadcast have him 3rd as well or did that 3 next to his name mean something different?

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Awesome, Zegras was the guy I was hoping for if we didn't get Dach. Really happy with that, and really happy we didn't go for Broberg (and Edmonton did instead :laugh:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad